Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Activating a new phone on Alltel?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by pokethebadger, Jun 29, 2006.

1. pokethebadger

pokethebadger New Member

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster, etc. I'm currently trying to switch from a horrible local carrier to Alltel U Prepaid. The phone I really want is the Motorola e815, which they're currently offering for the prepaid plan. As with everything in life, I've first been looking on Ebay to see if I can get a better price than the $129 that Alltel charges for the phone, but unfortunately all I can find are Verizon phones. So it's the exact same phone, just connected to a different carrier. If I bought it, could it still be activated through Alltel?

2. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You will have to chang the s/w and you may still have a problem with a few things on the phone. I am sure that one of the other guys on here will give you more of what is needed, but I would just buy the phone from Alltel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    You can, but it is a lot more work. You will have to make sure that phone's esn is clean. Then make sure you have the unlock code, not sure if VZW has a different one, it should be 000000. Then call Alltel, give them the ESN, tell them you want uprepaid, then they will talk you through putting the mdn, and min in the phone. I think the SID also. You may have trouble using the phone for the other features though. You will not be able to use alltel's axcess app., texting may or may not work, etc. Voice will definately work though. Now, if you want to get everything to work you will have to get someone to put the Alltel software on your phone (the alltel stores won't do this unless you find someone really nice, or that doesn't know they aren't supposed to.) Or you could get the cables, and find somewhere online to download the software and do it your self. You will want to do this before you call in and set up your account though.

So it's up to you, if the price difference is enough to make you want to do this then go ahead. Keep in mind though, there is an off chance that if you get the software and put it onto your phone it could make it a paper-weight (which is why the stores won't do it.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    i would not do it since its pre-pay. Just too many issues getting CCC (our pre-pay system) to accept it and it work on our whole network. that and it being an EVDO phone... not good on our pre-pay. Do what you like but don't say the tech did not warn you that you will be a very unhappy customer. I would not even recoment Alltel's e815 on prepay or any other EVDO phone. Its just too many issues with it.

5. pokethebadger

pokethebadger New Member

Hmm. Okay, so I've pretty much decided buying it directly from the store is probably my best best, but what's wrong with the e815 on prepay? My problem is that I never really use my phone so I really don't want to be in a contract, and Alltel's prepaid rates seem pretty good. The thing that attracted me to this particular phone is that it has a great camera, which is really the only luxury I require in a phone. Do EVDO phones not work too well on the Allltel prepaid program?

6. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The EVDO phones have their own PRL that prefers networks that are EVDO and 1x only. This is a problem with pre-pay that still relies on QNC. You will find ourself roaming a lot on pre-pay and at the higher rate.