Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

About AT&T a creative post from Epinions.com

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by IdiOTeQnoLogY, Apr 17, 2002.

1. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

About AT&T a creative post from Epinions.com

I just noticed an older thread in the central USA forum that popped up when someone replied to it recently. It was a post of a review left in Oct '01 of an opinion of SprintPCS service in Chicago (which is a market they are struggling in)

I figured I'd return the favour [​IMG] and post one I found from my market which I can attest to.

this post I found is from april '01. I did find a couple other ones more recent in '01 that pretty much say the same thing.....one with a cute title of "Hel...can you...ear me? He...o?" but I like the author's creative beginning in this one with his references to civilization; and to be fair I am only posting one. It's very entertaining though. I couldnt find any posts from '02; but like the 8 people i used to know with at&t service around here, they all left at&t. Must be nobody left with at&t to post anything around these parts. j/k hehe

Click Here [​IMG]

I am from the New York area and know exactly what this user is referring to. I had AT&T along with many people I knew. We experienced constant dropped calls and network busies. Also myself and two friends took a 4 day trip to Virginia Beach. We all had AT&T cell phones on the same plan so I took it upon myself to call AT&T and ask them if I made and received calls in VA Beach if I would be charged anything extra. I was told no. Needless to say we used our phones liberally those few days. Lo and Behold our bills came with lots and lots of roaming charges. After calling AT&T and complaining and getting to a supervisor; I was offered a $5 credit.....to cover over $50 in extra charges. Maybe the supervisor just forgot to add the zero, or maybe I just didnt hear her right cause my cellphone was cutting in and out.

Now I know this isnt representative of all of AT&T coverage, service, and customer service everywhere. I am adding this disclaimer unlike in the other post......but like I said. I am returning the favour. I'm just a nice guy I tell you.

2. Calador

Calador New Member

That reviewer definately has a large creative streak in her. I laughed I cried, I experienced the whole gambit of emotion. Bravo.......bravo to the witty female reviewer. Thanx for the chuckle while I myself go through testing cellular service from 2 providers, except I am in the reverse situation trying at&t in an attempt to get rid of the big V. I wonder how long it took her to come up with that or is she maybe a naturally creative person.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    1. I have heard ATT has/is making improvements in that area. The East Coast has historically been a bad market for them.
    2. My West-Coast service is nothing like the experience that East-Coaster had.
    3. I have once spoken to an East Coast customer service representative. She was rude and uninformed. If this is the service East-Coast subscribers are getting in general, I don't blame them one bit for jumping over to Verizon. Conversely, here on the West Coast Verizon's billing is not trustworthy.

4. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Yeah, this is old news and we've talked a lot about this before. AT&T has had poor service in the NYC area but they made a press release back in Oct/Nov of last year regarding some major base station upgrades and additional cell sites being added.

And if you read a few of the most *recent* AT&T user comments from epinions and from this newsgroup, you will find some pretty good reviews about AT&T in NYC.

I tell ya, I did have Sprint PCS in the past and I was a major advocate for them ... I even pushed my colleagues to consider their great rate plans -- this was starting a couple of years ago. I would still have Sprint PCS service to this very day if they had only been able to provide decent service in the Chicago area. I was never able to convince anyone to switch to Sprint PCS and eventually I was never even able to convince myself to stay with them! There were some weak spots around the nation that I could live with -- eg. San Diego airport and Buffalo airport, but 60% of my time was in Chicago and I just couldn't stay with them. Yes I was happy with Sprint in many areas such as my drive from Miami down to Key West and on the Upper floors of the Marriott Hotel - World Trade Center. In the Chicago area, every time I had walked into a Sprint PCS store to look at phones, there were always someone in there or coming into the store to _____ about the service.

Two recommendations to Sprint PCS to garner better customer plans and even grab more customer satisfaction:

- provide a better program than charging $25 activation fee everytime someone buys a new phone. this may have changed recently as some people may be able to avoid this by doing it over the web?
    (AT&T does not charge the $35 for activating a new phone on an existing account).

- I don't know if they have recently changed this or not but I did not like the family share plans or add a phone plans. If 2 users share 500 "family/share" minutes then they effectively get only 250 minutes to talk to each other because the minutes count towards both phones! Has this changed recently so that this system does not do this OR perhaps the plan has changed to provide 500 minutes to EACH individual phone rather than just 500 Share minutes?

By the way, does Verizon charge activation fees when you buy a new phone and activate it on an existing account?

Also, I wish Best Buy had a better selection of phones -- cause a friend of mine who originally bought his phone from Best Buy with the 3 Protection Plan ($59) has gone thru 3 or 4 phones with them, each time upgrading to a newer model for free!

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There's no charge with Sprint to activate a new phone for existing customers if you do it online. This has been in place for a while now. I activated my new phone last December online and there was no activation fee. You can do this as many times as you want without a charge. You even receive an automatic $10 service credit for activating any phone online. [​IMG]

Oh by the way, the San Diego airport has great coverage. I was there in January and had a full signal indoors. Don't know about Buffalo.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Buffalo has a great signal also..

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok so it looks to me like at least some of Kenny's trouble spots with Sprint from a couple of years ago have now been fixed. Kenny, had you waited until now to experiment with Sprint I'm sure you would at least been a little happier with coverage. By the way funny you mentioned the San Diego airport as having a weak signal. Sprint actually added a new tower right on the East side of the SD airport on the roof of a parking structure in August 2000. I happened to be driving by between Laurel St. and Sassafrass St. to visit relatives when I noticed a Sprint PCS truck working there and stopped to find out what was going on. Turned out they were installing panels for the new antenna. So I imagine the signal was probably weak until this site went on but it sure works great now. [​IMG]