Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

A Sprint Mistake

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by IdiOTeQnoLogY, Apr 4, 2002.

1. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

here is a minor gripe I have with Sprint....

Text Messaging

1st mistake) they make it so u have to have the Wireless Web enabled on your phone in order to send or receive any text messages.

2) thus to type in a lil 100 character text message during the daytime can take minutes out of ure precious daytime minutes

3) if the person u r sending it do doesnt have the WW they wont even get it (on sprint that is, the recipient will get it on other carriers though)

This is plain stupid. They should let their phones be SMS enabled (which they probably are just that sprint has the manufacturer's lock that feature) and sell text messages similar to the way they do in europe and that vErizon was smart enough to do.....bundle say 100 or so (send and receive) for like 3 or 4 bucks a month.

In fact this past year the saving grace for european carriers revenuewise was the money they made of text messaging...now of course what works in europe may not work here but they way sprint is doing it they will never find out.

this would never have worked until now; since finally inter-carrier messaging is here........Larry if u r out there please tell anyone u know at Sprint to try to get this info to the right channels....it is a business faux pas [​IMG]

Also....I think sprint not releasing its 1xrtt service in certain major markets is a mistake, doing the whole nation at once is nice and all but being early in certain areas is key.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I kind of have mixed opinions about it. On the one hand, it is pretty frustrating having to use airtime to access short mail. However, on the other hand, I thinik it's cool that I have not only SMS, but AOL IM and all the other options other companies make you pay separately for. I get them all with the wireless web. And, you can use the Tegic9 word, which helps somewhat, but it would be awesome if you could pay a certain amount, possibly $15.00 or so extra for unlimited wireless web, because I do consider airtime precious also. As for the 2.5G issue, I kind of do like the way Sprint is doing it. Going nationwide is a huge advantage. More people will know about it once all the cool handsets are out. Many customers in markets where AT&T and others have launched 2.5G don't even know about it. And, as far as I can tell, it hasn't had a huge effect on customer acquisition, although there has been a small effect. I'm actually pretty excited.

To sum up though, I would also like to see them do something about allowing us to not use up as much airtime when we're on the web.

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Regarding your No.1 and No.3 mistakes...I agree with you. I found that out myself last December when I signed up with the Wireless Web option free for 3 months promo. I tried to send some text messages to a couple of friends and they didn't receive them because they didn't have the WW option on their plan. Also noticed that when you try to send a text message from the web site same thing. They can only receive it if they have the WW option on their plan. I wasn't too surprised about this. Just figured that Sprint didn't want to give this service for free.

Regarding the 3G schedule...you might have a point but let's remember that Verizon doesn't even have the phones to support this system yet and the costs are currently so high that I don't think many people will be interested anyway until Sprint launches their own and brings down the costs.

There is a way to type out an e-mail without using up much airtime. Someone on my yahoo group just posted this today. Check out my group for more info at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sprintusers/

4. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes, just get to the point where you are ready to type your message (including selecting recipient) then hit end or whatever to stop the session. Go back to the WWW on your phone now and it will come up in the same place (ready to type) but offline. When finished , hit send.

G.

5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Everything that this thread has been talking about, Voicestream has. They have AOL IM, SMS seperate from Wireless Web, and they have launched their GPRS all at one time. That is pretty cool, huh?

With Voicestream, you get 300 text messages with every ISTREAM plan (Sprint calls it Wireless Web). This is something that I just noticed because I am about to get a GPRS-enabled phone, but I like it. With the 300 free text messages, I don't have to pay the extra $2.99 for 1MB of data (approx. 500 phone webpages) and have to pay the extra $2.99 for 500 text messages; All I have to pay is $2.99 for 1MB of data, and I get 300 text messages free.
    Here is the website to look at their plans:
    Voicestream Wireless (ISTREAM rate plans)

6. IdiOTeQnoLogY

i respect voicestream for being a gsm pioneer in this country; also combining WI-FI with cell service; and launching gprs first. though once cdma20001x comes out then the race is over....getting to 1xEV-DO should be a lot quicker than getting to UMTS. (i hope so so i dont look like an IdiOT)

however in my personal experiences so far 90% of the people i knew with voicestream are all cancelling and changing carriers after their contract (about 12 out of 14 people total) (all NY/NJ area)

if people think sprint had it slow bringing out coverage voicestream is just hitting california i think these days. california? i guess they missed that state on the map its quite small.

i dont even think there is a voicestream phone that can roam onto analog; at least with sprint if you run off of their digital network (which is bigger than voicestreams) you can roam for a price in an emergency with no problem as their analog roaming covers virtually 100% of the analog system in the USA. id rather have that than SMS any day. i wouldnt have even signed up for sprint if they didnt have the roaming. I knew that I would use my phone 99% of the time in sprint land but I wanted that peace of mind that if i ever took a trip and had an emergency or any problem that my phone would work.

sprint also has AOL IM, yahoo mail, msn mobile, aol mail. in fact id seen aol im on my WW for months when in my market area voicestream started showing tv ads saying it was the only carrier to offer AOL IM on its phones. u can check ticketmaster, shop on amazon-FTD florists, make taxi and limo reservations and tons more on Sprint WW (see my post in the Wireless Data forum); i do not know about other carriers WW features cause ive never used them though it seems Cingulars at least barely even works from what ive heard. Malial posted that when he switched to verizon the WW worked well.

also voicestream sells its plans as GET MORE or something. ?!@#$ they dont even have night minutes. just unlimited weekend.
    most people i know got 500 minutes for like 40 bucks and then unlimited weekends. those 500 minutes go right fast since there is no nightime separation. i guess for some people this is fine; they goto bed at 9pm so it doesnt matter.

i mean in todays advanced technological society there is ELECTRICITY which means LIGHTS and life after dark!!! if you use your phone at night and day during the week those 500 go fast. so you mathematically GET MORE with adding up UNLIMITED WEEKEND minutes but in the end on your bill you GET SCREWED unless you buy a much more expensive plan with lots of anytime minutes (with other carriers u can still spend 40 bucks and get around 500 anytime minutes plus tons of N&W minutes). most people I know dont goto sleep at 9pm; I guess us younger rebels need those nightime minutes.

unlimited sounds nice and all but really its just a gimick. with the amount of minutes the other carriers are giving for night and weekend you'd have to be the biggest gossip in town and then some to even get close to using them up. maybe Joan Collins could use em up but she'd sound like George Burns by the time she'd finish her voice would be even hoarser than it is. she could give Barry Manilow a run for his money after that much talking. cigar anyone?

also I dont really like nokia phones all that much. they do have the best GUI but they all seem to start fallin apart after 10 months of use. battery loses connection etc... most of voicestreams offerings are nokia. you can mod nokias though i guess; and i am sure they work better on GSM than on TDMA where i had a nokia since GSM is nokias bread and butter. though my GF's nokia voicestream phone is losin it after 10 months.

i like sim cards though ill say that. cant wait till cdma comes out with their version shortly.

oh btw thanks for those short mail tips Larry and GMAN. now i only use 1 min. of airtime with each text message i send.

7. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Blah, Blah, Blah, Idioteqnology; The race isn't over, new things will continue to come out forever.

The other thing, of course Sprint and the other companies would have a bigger digital footprint than Voicestream, since Vociestream has only been around since 1994. Verizon has been around forever, they should cover 100% of the US and part of Europe too, BUT they don't.

About the AOL IM, Voicestream was advertising the first to have AOL IM as an actual feature on the phone (without logging onto the WW), much like Voicestream's SMS, no need to log onto the WW, my Nokia 3390 doesn't even have WW on it, and I send and receive tons of messages, and AOL Instant Messages. Also as you were listing all the stuff that Sprint has on their WW, it's the internet, you can access those things from any phone that has internet on it. Those websites are made for all phones that have internet on them, not just Sprint phones.

About analog, no GSM service has analog. Eventually analog will play out of the picture, the Digital GSM network in the USA will be like in Europe, flawless; it just takes time.

About the 500 anytime minute thing, not too many other providers give you 500 Nationwide anytime minutes for $40.00 a month (none besides Voicestream that I know of).

About Voicestream having mostly Nokia phones, they have 2 Samsungs, Handspring Treo, Motorola P280, Pocket PC, Motorola T193, Motorola v.100, and the Nokia 3390. Voicestream is about to get the Sony Ericsson T68, and the Motorola v60. Get your facts straight; Look at the Voicestream website to check mine.

8. IdiOTeQnoLogY

for 49.99 you can get 500 anytime and 3500 N&W minutes on sprint and i know verizon has similar plans; i think $55 for 550 anytime and 3000 N&W.

the point is that those 500 minutes voicestream gives you are for all weeknights as well. its not really that great. unless you dont use your phone on weeknights and only on weekends. Myself and a lot of people I know use at least or more than 500 minutes a month solely on weeknights; oops there goes all my voicestream minutes and I havent even used the phone during the day yet.

as far as analog it is an old technology but until the USA shrinks in size or they build enough digital towers to cover all the populated rural areas of the country analog service serves an invaluable tool to people when they travel outside digital areas; and they do travel you know.

by going with Sprint I acknowledge the fact that digital coverage can in fact cover you in the places you spend your time in mostly. however without the analog feature one cant use a phone when off the beaten path; part of the reason I bought a cellphone is so I could use it incase of any problems when I am in an area that is only covered by analog.

the usa is not as small as european countries it took this long to build digital networks and still much of the country is not covered.

maybe in another 10 years the whole country may be digital so maybe ill get voicestream then if their plans get any better.

that is cool about the AIM feature being independent of the WW. personally i dont know how you can sit there and chat on AOL IM with a cell phone typing messages is so annoying with cell phones. I used that feature a couple times just to send a quick one liner like a text message so using the WW is fine for that. i guess its good to have independent of the WW if you want to sit on the cell phone AOL IM and chat; god bless your patience. I'd rather send them 1 line saying get offline so i can call you.

I stand corrected about the cell phones. Its been awhile since I looked at their phones and they have changed it up. However their plans and coverage (or lack thereof) still remain the same. I dont care if Voicestream would sell me a gold plated phone for 10 bucks I wouldnt sign up; except maybe to pawn the phone off.

If Sprint had the same plans as voicestream and only offered single band phones I would not sign up with them either.

9. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hey, Isn't voicestream in some serious debt....even more than sprint...??? I thought I read somewhere that they lose more..and more..and more.. Money each quarter, I'll have to find that article.

In response to Aiwapro: You might want to check, but, Voicestream has been here longer than Verizon.(technically)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint has only been around as a CDMA carrier since 1996. They originally started as a GSM carrier in Baltimore & DC. They later decided to go with CDMA and sold the GSM off to VoiceStream. That is the reason VS has coverage ther today.

Most of Verizon's network has been around since the 1980's just under different names.