Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung A quick review of my Samsung Note 4

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by QLR, Feb 13, 2015.

1. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Where to begin?

Background: I am a Samsung and Verizon user who decided to upgrade to the Note 4 from the Note 3. I LOVED my Note 3 but I kept having signal issues. Calls would go directly to voicemail at home; that has NEVER happened with my previous devices. I had one replaced under warranty, same problem. So I concluded that that it was the phone problem and not the network. The straw that broke the camel's back was when my phone dropped a call a half a dozen times in south Georgia. Usually, the call may drop once in the area, but it was ridiculous dropping calls that many times.

I checked some phones out at the Verizon store: the Z3v, Droid Turbo, the LG G3. These phones, while impressive in their own right, just didn't pull me in at all. I was skittish about Sony (they have been wishy washy about their commitment to the Americas). I didn't want to give up a half inch of screen by going to the Turbo. LG's skin feels blah to me (I have a G Pad, so I don't want the same blah feeling going to a phone). The Note Edge is more expensive and I didn't care for the edge thing. It looked too busy to me.

I ultimately settled on the Note 4, almost out of desperation. Got the phone on Tuesday. I have been blown away since.

Pros:
    1. 1440x2560 Quad HD SUPER AMOLED screen: OMGOSH! I never knew that viewing content on this beast would be so wonderful. The Note 3 has a full HD 1080x1920 screen. It looks archaic compared to the Note 4.
    2. The Note 4 feels better than the Note 3. Yes, it has a plastic back, but I don't mind that. The edges on the phone are aluminum; makes the phone bling in a subtle way
    3. The reception is just awesome, thus far. I found out the antenna on the Note 4 is only half the width of the one on the Note 3. So Samsung must have tweaked something in their design. Better signal readings and no calls are going to voicemail at home.
    4. The software is better; less archaic in some respects. It doesn't look like something from the Gingerbread days. It is obviously something they brought over from the Galaxy S5.
    5. The front facing camera is just awesome. They definitely got that right. The Note 3's front facer was decent, but this phone blows it away.
    Cons:
    1. The Note 3 is the PERFECT size for me. The Note 4 keeps the same size screen, but the phone is a tenth of an inch taller. That is a pain since I am having a hard time getting to the "multitasking" button.
    2. The rear camera is meh. I am still playing around with it. It is nothing earthshattering. Maybe the camera wars on Android are over?!?!?!
    Touchwiz is different... less archaic for one. I am trying to get used to the changes. One is the change in the home and multitasking buttons. On the Note 3, the home button was the multitasking button. A user could have assigned Google Now to home, although I didn't do that. On the Note 4, the home button IS Google Now. What was the "menu" button on the Note 3 is now the multitasking button on the 4, although one can long-press it to get a menu. The camera software is more bare bones on the newer phone; I have to download more settings if I miss it.

Random nuggets:
    1. I actually like the finger print scanner; I wish I would have scanned the fingers on my left hand as well.
    2. I haven't played with the heart monitor; I only used to to take selfies. I can tap the heart monitor while taking a selfie to take a photo. It has been hit or miss.
    3. Bloat is ridiculous. Did I really need Candy Crush, Soda Crush, and a cookie game on my phone? At least those were removable.
    4. I can launch the camera even while the phone is locked. I was unable to do that on my Note 3 because I had a PIN code as security.
    This is all that I could think of. I'll add stuff as I go along.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 QLR, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Another camera observation:

The camera is a 16MP; the resolution on it 16:9. Typically, the highest megapixel settings are set to 4:3.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Another observation: the wifi speed is better on the Note 4. I often get my paid for speed on the phone over wi-fi. My Note 3 would top out around half that.

Sent from my SM-N910V

charlyee likes this.
  4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This awesome screen is a battery hog!!! OMGOSH.
    Also, the speaker is on the back of the phone... I guess they couldnt place it at the bottom of the phone like they did the Note 3.

#4 QLR, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    So you don't like you phone that much, huh? (LOL). I upgraded from Note2 to Note3 last year (OOP). When the Note4 came, I decided to wait. I'm still hopeful that Samsung will come out this year with the YOUM phones they created the video on in 2013. If they don't, I probably will continue to hold off. Although all the upgrades you mention are nice, my Note3 is very trustworthy. I use it for everything from accounting to story-writing (but no games, I'm not a gamer.)

QLR likes this.
  6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It may sound like I don't like it all that much, but I am actually enjoying the phone. I wanted to wait but I could not take the reception problems of the 3 anymore. My nitpicking is just observations. Take it as you want. Lol

If you are having no problems with the Note 3, stick with it and wait.

Sent from my SM-N910V

7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think the battery is behaving now... Phone isn't draining as quickly as before.

Also, I am liking this quick charging. I am on the fence about wireless charging. I may just get an extra quick charger for work.

Sent from my SM-N910V

charlyee likes this.
  8. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Does your Note 4 have an application called DT Ignite? I remember reading about it on Samsung phones that allows carriers to install applications on your phone without your permission for a kickback.

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I didn't see that app on my phone. I saw a folder, that's about it.

I only saw this article

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/02/dt-ignite-verizon-tmobile-bloatware-malware/
    Sent from my SM-N910V

#9 QLR, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    palandri likes this.
  10. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK here are some random photos. Well, the ones that are less than 4MB.

uploadfromtaptalk1424841194374.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1424841243995.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1424841258479.jpg

This one was over 8MB, so I uploaded it to photobucket. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V

Attached Files:

#10 QLR, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    uploadfromtaptalk1424842403764.jpg

All in all, I decided the Note 4 was enough of an improvement for me to dump the Note 3. As I said before, I LOVED the 3, but I couldn't handle the atrocious antenna.

Sent from my SM-N910V

12. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK, the Note 4 has one of those kickass 4K screens... But as many of us know, there isn't much 4K content. I decided to go on YouTube and search for 4K videos. I landed on the GoPro channel and I was blown away by one of the videos. Wow.

Sent from my SM-N910V

13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I think for me the most technically interesting shots you posted were of the gent on the bus and the night pix. The first because it almost appears HDR in that it captured and correctly lit (as much as I could expect from a point-n-shoot) both the bus interior and the exterior surroundings. The latter because night shots are not that good from point-n-shoots. It is a little blurry, but that is to be expected. You might try finding a solid surface to take the photo from and use voice activation to take the picture to see if it is any less blurry in a night pix.

14. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Some more photo uploads, from Photobucket because soem of them are over 4MB in size. The second one is 19MB. most of the photos I have taken are 3-5MB in size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#14 QLR, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    charlyee likes this.
  15. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
  16. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK, I couldn't resist.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

charlyee likes this.
  17. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Although my phone is passé, just wanted to drop a note. Phone has been updated to Lollipop (5.0.1). Not too bad. Very colorful and responsive. Battery seems to be less than before, it that could be me being a battery killer. I got VOLTE on the Verizon version. I can't tell much of a difference, but I haven't been able to test it with someone who has it. I do like some of the enhanced calling functions, kinda like what GSM has had for a while.

charlyee likes this.
  18. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Decided to upload a 4K video; apparently, YouTube caps it to 1080, but 4K can be viewed on capable devices.

JFB and charlyee like this.
  19. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    ( @QLR I increased the attachment size limit to 10MB to decrease the hassle. :( )

QLR likes this.
  20. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks so much!

21. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Decided to test out food mode and the the expanded attachment size limits.

uploadfromtaptalk1430361663391.jpg

22. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Wow! the colors look outstandingly true to life!!! (I'm basing that comment on the color of your finger, which seems right, and the color of the pickles.) The only two edits I would have done in post was to take the pic into a PC photo editor, just ever-so-slightly desaturate it a bit and increase the overall lighting. The changes are very subtle, but there.

upload_2015-4-29_20-14-5.png

23. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Hmmm lunch time. :p

24. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Lighting is horrid in my apartment, so photos are a hit and miss there. But I am generally pleased with food mode.