Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

A quick question about Cingular and Motorola v60 plz help!

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by longtailcat, Jan 25, 2002.

1. longtailcat

longtailcat New Member

Hi I like to know if I can use Motorola v60 phone if I have Cingular as my service provider...

thanks!!

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Depends. If you are talking about the v60<u>t</u> (TDMA) and you are in one of Cingular's TDMA markets, then yes; with one caveat.

On the other hand, if you live in Calif., Washington or Florida where Cingular is GSM, then no. Also, if you are talking about the v60c, then all bets are off.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular is GSM in California? I thought they still had a TDMA network in place (and that ATTWS TDMA phones could roam on it).

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Cingular California has never been TDMA. Now if AirTouch (another former Bell spin-off) was TDMA, I don't know. I have always assumed that Air-Touch was CDMA, which is why Verizon absorbed them.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

In CA,
    Cingular -&gt; GSM (1900)
    ATTWS -&gt; TMDA (800 and 1900)
    Verizon -&gt; CDMA (800)
    Sprint PCS -&gt; CDMA (1900)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

<< Cingular California has never been TDMA. >>

Hmm. Now I'm confused. If Cingular isn't, and never has been, TDMA in California, then what network (if any) does a ATTWS TDMA phone in California roam onto when it can't find ATTWS signal?

7. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    ATTWS is the premier TDMA network in Calif. There is no other TDMA in Calif except for maybe CellularOne and in the SF/Bay, that system was just bought by ATTWS. ATTWS was around long before PacBell Wireless (now Cingular) was even a twinkle in PacBell's eyes.

Analog systems seemed to be shared rather freely from posts I've read. I was surprised that in analog mode, when I had Verizon service, a Verizon technical assistant told me my Verizon phone was roaming on ATT's analog towers.