Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

a new tower was put up near the school in locust fork alabama

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by danielkarluk, Aug 11, 2009.

1. danielkarluk

danielkarluk Junior Member

how do i find out wich cell service is on it, if any? I have carried my old phones there to check signal strength and all carriers show no change compared to before the tower went up. Its a guy wire type tower, not free standing. thanks for all your help.

2. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    You've mentioned the tower. Have antennas been mounted on it? Is there cable connecting the antennas to equipment enclosures (cabinets, buildings)? Have power and phones lines been supplied? (Check for electric meters, labeled with carriers' names.)

The electric meters and phone line terminations are likely mounted on a four by eight plywood sheet, mounted on two posts. This will be near a parking spot, or along the access drive. The phone line terminations should be outside where the ILEC personnel can reach them for testing. Electric meters can be inside or outside the fence. If they are inside, the meters can be read through the fence.

Since it doesn't register on any of your handsets, I'd say it isn't operating yet. In your area you could expect:
    Corr Wireless
    Verizon
    T-Mobile (near major roads)
    Sprint (same)
    AT&T (same)
    SouthernLink
    Nextel

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Der84

Der84 EH!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Rogers (2007-2011) Bell (2011-present)
    What you could also do, is post a picture of the tower on here, and maybe one of our tower experts in that area might be able to tell you who's on it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Like COtech said, the easiest and most reliable way to find out what carrier is on a tower is to take a peak at the power meters. Any new site should have the power meters labeled, and will tell you who is on that tower. So will the equipment, as they usually have an 800 number can you can call and find out who it is that way.

5. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, sorry, my idea is a little off-beat. Just an excuse to get another tower pic I guess. :O ha ha.

6. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Fine, fine, fine. I'll put a few up that I have been hording. :D

7. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Atta boy Yankee! I somehow had the feeling you had a few pics with ya.

I've been swamped with work and haven't been able to get out for some good pics, so I have to hope for someone else to put their's up, ha.

8. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Done. Just 2 for now though.

9. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I have seen situations where it took over 6 months before a tower was transmitting a signal from the time the tower was physically constructed. It could just be that the site is not yet active while waiting for certain equipment like T1's or final permits to be issued.

10. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    This would be helpful, it may not even be a cell tower.

11. danielkarluk

i thought for sure the carriers on that tower would be listed in WA or radioreference.com, but i couldnt find a database for where carriers' transmitters are, why dont they have such a database? i will go read the signs on the fence and look for a coax or wires. it has a single triangle shaped structure on the very top. I am thinking its our local ambulance because i dont remember being able to hear 463.1 mhz on my scanner while the antenna is disconnected. its 5 miles from my house though so i dont know if that frequency is coming from that tower or a closer one. i guess if I had some kind of a meter i could tell.

12. danielkarluk

the signs on the fence say at&t. I dont know if its an at&t tower or if the signs were marking at&t as the provider of the buried cables running to the site.
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

13. danielkarluk

how can i know when the service will be active as my old at&t phones with expired sim cards always show no signal even if there is one. I will try calling the number i got off the fence.
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

14. danielkarluk

the number off the fence is 800 638 2822. i called it and pressed option 1 and got "welcome to the new at&t", then waited for 17 mins and they must have been closed. can i assume this is and at&t tower? what if there is more than one cellular provider on the same tower, would there be a sign for each provider on the fence surrounding the mast?

15. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Are you able to get a picture of this tower?? It would be interesting to see what this tower is. Also someone else may be able to identify the other carriers on the tower, if any.

16. danielkarluk

all i have is the camera on my phone, is uploading it to WA self explanatory, i have never done it before. would the camera on my phone give you a good enough pic? let me look thru your pics, i'm sure one of them looks just like it.

17. danielkarluk

looks like der84's "lambton line" on the first page of the tower photos. except it has none of the other antennaes on it exept the triangular structure on top.

18. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Aah, that's one of my recent pics of a Bell Mobility tower I believe. Funny that you should pick one of mine...ha ha.

Well it's a guyed tower then, that's for sure.

19. danielkarluk

where it connects to the concrete at the base it comes to a point. i guess to let it sway. you know what i mean?

20. danielkarluk

does the at&t conglomerate usually use this design these days? what do the newer at&t towers in your area look like?

21. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hmm.. I don't know what you mean by "let it sway". But yeah, it sounds like your basic guyed tower. Lots of those around everywhere, they're pretty common.

22. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm actually in Canada...ha ha. They don't have AT&T here. The 3 big cell companies are Rogers Wireless, Telus Mobility, and Bell Mobility.

The design of the tower will have nothing to do with which company is using the tower. It will have more to do with what is the most appropriate to be built in the area. (Eg). A tall guyed tower may need to be to be built to cover a large area.

23. danielkarluk

ok. i was just wondering as to why the 3 spines of this tower come to a point at the base, maybe to let the tower move with the wind ever so slightly. i have heard rigid buildings fare worse when moved, so maybe that thinking works with towers as well. guy wired towers work better when the tower is extremely tall? they're cheaper to build?

24. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well an extremely tall tower could be a guyed tower, but it could also be a 3 or sometimes 4-legged latticed tower or I've seen some pretty tall monopoles too.

I'm not sure which is cheaper to build, but if cost is an issue and one design is a little cheaper and efficient to build then another then that could be the case too.

The height of the tower could also be due to if one or more carriers were to come along and co-locate on the structure later on.

There are different reasons as to why a tower is built a certain way.

25. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    By the way.....I didn't notice this post you made earlier, until just now.

Yeah, camera phone pics are just as good too. You said the tower is located in Alabama, so just upload the picture into the Alabama album. It's pretty easy to upload a picture.

26. danielkarluk

ok. this tower isnt really tall, its average height.