Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

A few questions on the VX8100

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Hawaiiannights, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon..can you hear me now?
    Ok, so I am in the process of upgrading my current phone VX6000 to the new VX8100 but have a few questions below if any of you "experts" can answer for me? Thanks in advance!

1. Will the same data cable I have for my VX6000 work with this VX8100?

2. Will the same programs work? Bitpim, etc? Basically I want to be able to transfer my phonebook, add some pics, and add some ringtones.

3. Does this phone support email? I mean I know it supports text messaging but on a few reviews I read it said no email support. I mean like I currently have an email address for my mobile phone xxx@vtext.com Can you still do this with the VX8100?

4. Do you know if the antenna fittings are the same size? VX6000 vs. VX8100?

5. Does it come with the memory card or is it seperate?

6. Can you just put pics and music, and phone numbers on the memory card and add to you phone?

7. Has this phone been proved yet? Any known issues, problems, etc?

8. Can it play MP3 ringtones?

I'm really looking forward to getting this phone as I was really happy with my VX6000, and have decided to go with the VX8100 over the new Motorola one because of the memory card, even though the talktime is less then the Moto.

Any opinions or advice would be very much appreciated!! Thanks!

2. 0oLakeShoreo0

0oLakeShoreo0 Senior Member

Hey Hawaiinnights. Great call on the 8100, I'm also looking at it for my next phone.

I can answer a few of your questions. The phone doesn’t come with an SD card, but you can use the data cable to get pics, etc on it. For the data cable, I browsed online and the two phones are listed under different cables, but they appear identical...

I'm also pumped that you can play MP3s on the 8100 with the new upgrade that just came out. I'm sure some of the others can help you with the other questions!

3. 0oLakeShoreo0

Sorry, didn't mean to reply twice and can't delete this for some reason... : )

4. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    But I heard that verizon disabled the MP3 Player function on this phone?

5. rctroub89

rctroub89 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Ok,

Verizon Wireless did disable the MP3 Function, but the update T81VZV04 will:

1. MP3 player Working
    2. Option to turn off disco lights
    3. Fluctuating volume fixed
    4. Bluetooth headset echo reduced significantly

That update is available in some places not in all, so call your local Verizon Store first to confirm that they have it.

As 0oLakeShoreo0 said, the SD card does not come with the phone, check any electronics store (RadioShack, BestBuy, CompUSA, ect.)

With the SD card, you can plug it into your computer (Check to see if you have a Mini SD port, if not check your local computer store) and you can upload pics, ringtones, MP3's, videos.

You will need to download an "Unoffical" Version of BitPim, which is the only one that supports the 8100. Post, and I'll find the link for you if you need it.

As of "Glitches", known ones are:

1. Bluetooth Earpiece Echos
    2. 1 to 3 sec delay when taking a pic
    3. The Earpiece volume changes, and in most cases, it is hard to make it loud enough.
    4. When in Vibrate mode, when you miss a phone call, the phone beeps after a few minuets.

Thats all for now, I'll test the 6000 to 8100 antenna fittings sometime tonight.

Hope I was a help!

-rC

6. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks! Mines being shipped to me right now from who knows where so I hope the at least updated it before sending it out.... Do I just check the Version number of the software? It should be T81VZV04 ?? Whats the older one?

I already ordered a 1GB mini SD card for $72 not bad eh?

Ear piece volume is very inportant to me. It has to be loud.
    As for Bitpim I current ese version .6- for my VX6000 do I need to upgrade it to the newest version from the website?

7. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    I heard that vzn disabled the outside buttons on the phone.
    Any truth to this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. 0oLakeShoreo0

Hey Zamboni, the outside buttons work fine now with the new upgrade!

9. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    Cool thanks I'll let em know!!!
    I like the phone, and I can't believe I am saying it- I like the moto 815, but staying with the treo...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. 0oLakeShoreo0

No problem, I think you made a good choice!

11. rctroub89

rctroub89 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    zamboni77 > Yes, Verizon did disable this on T81VZV01, but in the newest version (T81VZV04) they are enabled, and the phone now supports MP3's.

Hawaiiannights > I doubt that the update is already on your phone. To check it, type #4357*4357 and scroll down to SW Version. Not a bad price on the SD card! The Bitpim for the 8100 is not "Offical" so the bitpim website won't have it.

-- Sorry for reanswering questions, I started typing this in the morning, but had to go. Just finishing it now.

-rC

12. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ok I got my phone today! I must have spent the past 10 hours playing with it. I also got my 1GB Mini SD card in the mail today as well! Pefect timing!

Well first of all my phone has the old software version. I called my local verizon store and they said they have the upgrade so I dragged my *** down there only to find out they made a mistake and didn't have it yet! Typical Verizon sales reps for you huh? So I made the best of my trip and had them transfer my phone book from my old VX6000 to the VX8100 and gave them some grief and told them i'll check back with them in a few weeks.

Anyway. I love this phone it is great! Took me a while to figure out the tweeks but in the past 10 hours that I have been playing with it, I have manged to get it working with the Unofficial Bitpim, and was also able to use my VX6000 cord just by shaving down the tabs a little. I've uploaded Hundreds of pics via the SD card, added new ringtones (both Midi files and MP3 files worked with Bitpim), and also uploaded about 25 full length MP3 songs, 10 Music Videos (converted to 3gp, quality sucks though) and still haven't even used 20% of the 1GB SD card! Haha...awesome....

Since I have the old software version I am not able to play MP3's via the outer buttons, but I am able to play them in full if I play them through the MySounds section even though its only one at a time.

A few negitive things I discovered.

1. Old software version so need to upgrade
    2. The antenna is huge and not removable (anyone know how?)
    3. Camera takes average pics indoors...I guess its not bad for a phone
    4. Voice Dailing sucks and you can't program to voice dial specific contacts. Instead it tries to read through you entire phone book and guess the right one. I would say 1 out of 4 names it actually finds...some things are right on the money, but some are way way off....and yes I did train the phone if you can call that training.
    5. Speaker phone works faily well but can't be used with the phone closed I think?
    6. Belt clip doesn't swivel...anyone know where to get one that does?
    7. No standing desktop charger available
    8. Little rubber piece has to be removed to charge...guarantee this little piece is going to get lost within the next week or so.
    9. Camera lens location is bad...keep putting my finger on it and it gets oily

I think that covers my negitive comments. I still think this is the best phone I have ever owned!! Good job Verizon, finally doing some things right eh?

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

13. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    4. Voice Dailing sucks and you can't program to voice dial specific contacts. Instead it tries to read through you entire phone book and guess the right one. I would say 1 out of 4 names it actually finds...some things are right on the money, but some are way way off....and yes I did train the phone if you can call that training.

I can voice dial specific contacts (even if my friend has two numbers...i.e. home phone and cell phone). On my 8000, I go into Contacts, and then select voice dial, and then select new and then I can choose the person's name and what number I want for it. To train my words, I go into Settings and Tools, Call Settings, Voice Services, and then Train words. I did my training in an area with no one talking and no other noises. Hopefully it will help to do that if you already haven't.

8. Little rubber piece has to be removed to charge...guarantee this little piece is going to get lost within the next week or so.

I still have my rubber piece that is covering the port (I bought my 8000 in January of this year).

Enjoy your phone.

14. 0oLakeShoreo0

Hey Hawaiin, thanks for the update--glad you like your phone so much, sounds like LG hit it out of the park on this one! How's do you like the camcorder feature on the phone? I've heard it's pretty cool.

15. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not bad but the quality sucks. But for a phone I guess its acceptable. Too bad only 15 seconds record time, even if I have a 1GB SD card. Its cool that you can use your videos as screen saver/wallpers for both the inside and outside display.

16. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nope don't have that feature on the VX8100. It just tries to read your phone book by what name your saying which is pretty advanced and cool...if it would get it right.... I have alot of Japanese names in there too and its funny when the phone tries to pronounce them.... funny though, it gets most fo the Japanese name contacts correct. Its the basic ones like call tom, call peter, that the phone screws up on.

17. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hmm, that is weird.

I wonder why LG decided to change that feature on the 8100? Oh well. At least the phone looks cool and it looks like it is smaller than the 8000. ;)

I still like my 8000 though. :)

18. 0oLakeShoreo0

I agree, it is a goooood lookin phone!

So it seems like the camcorder feature is just on par with where the technology is right now... How does the feature that allows you to use your camcorder recordings as a wallpaper work? Are they stills or moving?

Hawaiin, have you gotten your upgrade yet?

19. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It moves! So is cool! Even on the outside small one it moves! Didn't get the upgrade yet...not available in Hawaii yet apparently....dammit

20. 0oLakeShoreo0

No way, that sounds awesome! It reminds me of Harry Potter, how "still" pictures move on posters, etc.

I know that we've got the upgrade available in my area, it shouldn't be too location specific now since it's just a download. Hope you get it soon, keep buggin' em!

21. rctroub89

rctroub89 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Glad you like it. You'll like it even more when the update comes, the equalizer on the outside screen is awesome :). For best results for pics, change the ISO settings and photometry.

YEAH! Called many times about the release date of the 8100 and the V04, they get confused VERY easily. Also had problems getting my 8000 updated to V05, they tried to tell me I had V05 but I had V04.

22. Hawaiiannights

My Phone:
    LG LX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Can you explain to me more about changing the ISO setting and photometry? Is this something you can do on the phone physically? I didn't see any settings like that.

I realize now that it is a phone and not a camera, so my hopes of the camera being 1.3 megapixels would be close to my sony was a mistake. It takes pretty decent pictures in daytime outdoor situations but at night and indoors it is very grainly and the colors looks like crap. Will the update help the camera any? I doubt it huh?

And the Verizon rep told me that the software upgrade will be coming the sametime the release the V-cast service in Hawaii (yea they haven't rolled it out here even though the phone box is advertising it. They said the rollout for V-Cast in Hawaii is planned for the end of the year....****...that means I have to wait till the end of the year to upgrade my software??? WTF? Isn't there anyway to get the program download it on my cpu and upload it to my phone via cable? There must be a way? anyone?

23. dequardo

dequardo New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    This is NOT fixed with the update.

24. emcurry

emcurry New Member

YES IT IS!!

I just got the upgrade TODAY and the mp3 function is available!

25. dequardo

dequardo New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Can you READ? I said the VOLUME problem wasn't fixed.

26. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

I have put the phone through the paces in the last 24 hours and have had no volume flux issues, and this is with v4.

27. rctroub89

rctroub89 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah V-CAST not here either, but yet the guy at Verizion was using that as a selling point...

Some people say it is fixed some say it's not. That info posted before V04 was relised, so I'm sorry if it is not fixed for you, that is just the info I had.

28. 0oLakeShoreo0

I've also heard differing opinions on whether or not the ear piece is fixed with the upgrade-I'm sure LG is on it though!

I read on another forum that someone had had luck "fixing" their fluctuating ear piece volume by setting the ear piece volume at high and then using the actual phone to adjust the volume setting. I've not spent a ton of time playing with the actual phone since I'm doing reconnaissance for my pending cell purchase, so maybe someone who has one can confirm that! :)

29. glenside

glenside New Member

Purchace a USB Bluetooth dongle. Pick up bitPim 0.9 and get everything in and out of this phone. Works great.

30. listcodata

listcodata New Member

Next time try eBay. I just ordered a 1GB mini SD for $31.50 including shipping and insurance. I also picked up the data cable on eBay for $30 bucks delivered that came with USB Data Suite software that is kinda nice.