Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

A couple Cingular questions...

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by erub, Dec 6, 2001.

1. erub

erub Junior Member

I am currently a Cingular customer, have been for 2 years. It has for the most part been great, haven't really had any problems. I'm in Dallas, so I am using TDMA. To get a new phone (I'm leaning towards either the Nokia 3360 for $25 or the new Motorola StarTAC for $50), as most of you know, you have to sign a 2 year agreement. I have had an analog StarTAC, and a few months ago I got a digital StarTAC - both have been fine, although the new digital one that I bought used has a few problems, because it was dropped and used heavily (for $30, with no new contract, i can't complain). I have a couple of questions though. How is Cingular service in Austin? I'm considering going to UT, and would definitely want to be able to use my cell there. Will I be happy with the Nokia 3360? All my friends have Nokia phones, so I'm assuming they all work fine, I'm the lone dude with the StarTAC :). And finally, does anybody have any specific dates on when Cingular will be switching to GSM in Texas (more specifically, Austin, Dallas, and College Station). If its going to be real soon, I might hold off to get a GSM phone (although I'd like to buy now, with the 1/2 off sale, hehe).

2. Guest

Guest Guest

YOU MIGHT AS WELLS PURHASED THE NOKIA 3360 AND WAIT BECAUSE CINGULAR NOT GOING TO UPGRADE TO GSM TO SOON .,WHEN EVER THAY FINISHED YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UPGR AGAIN.,.., P.S---I KNOW BECAUSE I WORK IN THE CALL CENTER FOR CINGULAR IN DALLAS.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I work for cingular here in NC we are GSM and we are in the process of converting all of our current networks to GSM although like the other reply stated that will not be ery soon 2-4 years for the transition to be complete -hopefully:)- If you are going to Utah if i am correct we (cingular) is GSM in utah now we just purchased another company there or at least i think that is what the website says

4. reevejf

reevejf Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have always loved Nokias and always will, as far as going to Utah Cingular is building a GSM network in Salt Lake City but it isnt finished yet. I would suggest waiting until February to buy a new phone. Rumor is that Cingular is gonna release some phones that are TDMA/CDMA/and GSM compatible, so you can use them on any type of network. I certainly hope this is true, it would eliminate hardly ever using analog unless neccessary. Supposedly Nokia and Mitsubishi are coming out with the phones.

5. erub

erub Junior Member

well the Saturday after I posted this thread I went out and got the Nokia 3360. I really like it. It is dual-band TDMA and analog. I stayed with Cingular, signing another 2 year extension. Cingular is all TDMA around here, and I can roam anywhere in Texas on Cingular's digital network with no charge. As I understand it, I am elgible to an upgraded phone after one year. I never travel anywhere out of state where I would take my cell phone (I just use it to keep in touch with friends, not for business), and since Cingular will be TDMA here for a while, I was happy to sign on with them. The phone and the service have both been very good :)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

does anyone know if the AT&T motorola v60t phone will work on the CIngular TDMA network in houston? It is almost impossible to find the cingular version of that phone.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Anonymous,

It sounds like your asking if an AT&T phone will work on a cingular network? Do you want to set up service with the phone or roam with the AT&T service? If your intention is to set up service with Cingular the answer is NO. If you want to roam then the answer would be Yes.