Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

8900, It Sucks, It Sucks, It Sucks, Its Gone

Discussion in 'All Other Brands of Wireless Phones' started by jfxf, Dec 18, 2003.

1. jfxf

jfxf Junior Member

My Phone:
    v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, was Cingular for too long
    I got one on Friday, the first day out. I went through three different phones, all were haywire. None did picture messaging, but this is an acnkowledged defect. Each had serious software problems: one stuck in headset mode even when the earbud was out; another refused to recognize downloaded ringtones; another would not leave silent mode; etc. etc.

I wanted to love it, but ultimately I hated it. I am back to the LG 6000

2. vorpil

vorpil New Member

Stories like yours worry me while I'm still trial-period-ing my 8900, even though my unit's surprisingly fine *fingers crossed, knocking on wood*. I feel like once the trial period's over it might go berzerk on me. Or now realizing that the pic msg functions don't work for me, going to the store and flashing the sucker might zap something else. I'm about to start flipping a coin as to whether I should "downgrade" to a Samsung a530s while I have the chance (I'm impartial to the VX6000)-- *headache*

3. jfxf

jfxf Junior Member

My Phone:
    v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The VX6000 is a great phone unless you want to use the headset/earbud.
    The volume is cut in half - especially for the person on the other end.
    I have gotten two verizon techs to agree with me, but that does not make it any louder.
    I ported over from Cingular at the beginning of this month and I am kind of P.O.'d about the current choices of verizon phones. However, I have to give VZ props on customer service. They have been unbelievably positively responsive without a hint of displeasure over the phone returns.

I could not ever imagine a call back from Cingular Techs.

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I should hope that since Verizon has halted sales of the 8900 for the time being that they would offer anyone an exchange on their phone, even past the 14 days. Just don't drop your phone and scratch it up! [​IMG]

5. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Make sure you have your account provisioned for picture messaging. It doesn't automatically work, especially when your pricing plan didn't originally include it. I'm not saying this is your case, but I've seen it a lot and many get flustered and try to return the phone claiming it has a defect when there's nothing wrong with it at all. [​IMG] When I first got my Lg6k, I could take pictures, but couldn't send them to email or snapshot to another handset. I thought I had a defect and took it back to the store. After my account was modified, everything worked perfectly. Hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. blcklab666

blcklab666 Junior Member

They couldn't even change my ESN to activate the phone until they figured our they needed to check the EN/MOU box for picture messaging because of my older plan. And that took 4 people during two calls, including them getting tech support on the line.

One smart girl finally figured it outjust as the same thought ocurred to me. My guess is in other billing systems, they have been able to activate the phone but do not have EN enabled.

Not sure about the other prolems tho. No probs on my end yet, so I will wait to see what some others say about the software flash before I do it.

7. CWick

CWick Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I find this very hard to believe....I always hear that Verizon does such extensive testing on their phones...and that his why I am still waiting on them to carry the Kyocera Slider when Virgin, USC and Metro already have it.

So...maybe this extensive testing is crock of sh*t???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    DITTO!

9. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw

10. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    i think that once all the combination of bugs are worked out, the 8900 should do fine.

11. Babyboy

Babyboy Junior Member

Tony E, it sounds like you are defebding the 8900. Are you gonna get one next? LOL. You're waiting for the 9900...I know.

12. jfxf

jfxf Junior Member

My Phone:
    v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wick & Tony E,

However hard you might find it to believe, it is the absolute truth.
    I very much wanted the 8900 to work well because: (1) it is tri mode (2) the sound was better than the LGVX6000; and (3) the earbud worked much better than the LGVX6000. These are the main features that I want in a phone. Unfortunately: (1) when the phone gets locked in headset mode - despite no headset (2) when the ringer settings get locked on "silent" no matter what option is chosen; (3) when the paid for and downloaded ringtones refuse to work despite all the proper settings etc.>>> one problem on each of three DIFFERENT phones, it is quite easy to believe.

Hey, maybe the prototype worked so the design was fine, but the production resulted in the flaws, who knows.
    BUT I SURE DONT WANT TO SPEND THAT TYPE OF MONEY TO BE THE BETA TESTER FOR THE DAMN THING.
    I ALSO DONT WANT TO BE STUCK WITH A BETA LEVEL PRODUCT FOR TWO YEARS.

Not to mention that they are charging me $4.95 per month for picture messaging that did not work on any of the three phones.

13. schulzmc

schulzmc New Member

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I've had my 8900 for a week now with absolutely no problems. I'm a pretty heavy user, both in terms of minutes and features.

Signal strength is awesome - even better than my v60 - and my office is in a tough area. I have a number of contacts in the phone, some with distinctive ringers. I've downloaded 8 ring tones and am using a number of them. I've set the phone to wake me up in the morning. I've been on a conference call in my car for 35 minutes in speaker phone the whole time. I've sent a picture message to my wife, and received daily weather reports via text message. I've checked my email (on three different POP accounts) using Soda Pop Mail through Get It Now.

Now if I could just get rid of that alternating Verizon banner on the sub display...

14. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Given the deferent experiences, wonder if some have different software OR internal (hardware) changes (updates) that account for the variations.

15. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Anytime people give me that crap about verizon takign longer to come out with handsets because they test them better, just think about the motorola t720.

what a terrible phone. verizon does do a lot of testing, but not enough to justify the delays.

16. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

17. Babyboy

Babyboy Junior Member

Maybe VZW should hang out with us on this forum and maybe they would learn a few things.

18. Babyboy

Babyboy Junior Member

You know what, now that I think about it, has any other carrier had problems with phones like VZW had with the t720 and 8900?

19. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    yes , it could happen with any carrier, but i never experienced it or seen it as much like i have with Verizon.
    even with the glitches the 8900 has ,which i'm sure will be worked out, i still think it's a way better phone than the t720.

20. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Verizon was most likely trying to ride teh wave that the vx6000 made buy putting out a trimode version as fast as possible...
    The biggest thing ppl wanted to see on the vx6000 was trimode capabilities; and with the holiday season coming up, putting out a trimode camera phone as fast as possible made sense....