Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

800 or 1900 MHz repeater for Venice, CA and iPhone

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by workingklasshero, Jul 14, 2007.

1. workingklasshero

workingklasshero New Member

Hello. Yeah, I bought one. It's nifty.
    But after shelling out my hard earned bucks I don't want to sit it on the window sill and use BT. I want to fondle it.
    I've decided on a Wi-Ex zboost repeater. I have 3 or 4 bar signal at windows and full bars outside, so I figure it should meet my needs. My apt is a very small single.
    zboost comes in 800,1900, or dual band models.Wi-ex says a person might be able to get away with the single band (they say 800 usually for Cingular?). So my question is, if you will, what frequency do I need for my area of L.A.? Do you agree that the $100 cheaper (I'm tapped) single band repeater will do? Which one?
    They have a new model coming out in August, a dual band zPersonal for under $200.00, which would probably work fine, but I can't wait indefinitely.
    Thanks.

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    In the LA Basin you should purchase a dual band unit. Cingular both extensively here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I agree the dual band is the best bet & if you ever move & still need it, you will have options with this unit.

4. workingklasshero

workingklasshero New Member

I appreciate the answers. I guess I'll give it a go.

P.S. I belong to several forums that use this software or similar, but I have never had words put in my mouth like you guys do here. I think it's corny. While I do appreciate the response, I take mild offense at "Shoulda joined long ago" being placed under my nick as though I had put it there. Yesterday's "I have arrived" had me going to the user CP to change it (as I can do on other forums) but apparently you don't allow it here. While I guess it's been deemed cute by someone, I would rather have the chance to exhibit my own personality on my own terms, in my own time, and most importantly, in my own words. What else do we have?
    Thanks again.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Once you hit 250 posts you can create your own user title, so don't take offense by what it say's, it changes fairly rapidly as you post here.

6. johncarync

johncarync New Member

To see what band your local towers are using (800 MHz or 1900 MHz):

1. Go to the iPhone's dial pad and type: *3001#12345#*
    2. Press the dial button.
    3. Select "Cell Information" from the list. This will show all the towers in your area.
    4. The top tower listed should be the strongest signal. Select it.
    5. Check the value listed to the right of "Freq".
    If it is between 128 and 251, the tower is using the 800 MHz Cellular band
    If it is between 512 and 810, the tower is using the 1900 MHz PCS band

-John

7. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Most cellsites (towers) in California use both in what's called concentric cells so that's not the best suggestion. get a repeater with both bands as was suggested earlier.:rolleyes:

8. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
  9. BigEd682

BigEd682 New Member