Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

700wx vs. Mogul

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by DavieMac, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DavieMac

DavieMac New Member

I need to buy either a Treo 700wx (oh, 800 where art thou?) or HTC Mogul by the end of the month. (Need to get it before the office's FY year-end.)

Any suggestions on which is the better phone?

Thanks.

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well maybe I can shed some light. I have owned both devices for Sprint. I prefer the Mogul over the Treo for a number of reasons. First, I have noticed immediately that the Mogul gets better reception in the same places I travel to/from on a daily basis. Second, I have noticed that my Mogul does not freeze up when opening/closing programs like my Treo did (this might be due to the fact that there is more program space, but I am not sure). Third, I noticed that my Treo would randomly dial numbers that I had on speed dial even when I had the keyguard on. Fourth, I like the fact that the Mogul has WiFi and the Treo needs an expensive WiFi SDIO card (it is inserted in the SD slot at the top of the phone). Fifth, the Mogul has voice dial for both your contacts and apps. like the internet (press the voice dial key on the left side of the phone and say the name of the person on the app name). Sixth, the Mogul reportedly will have a rev. A update and GPS update during the fourth quarter of this year. Seventh, the Mogul has a bigger screen and sharper quality than my Treo. Last but not least, the Mogul has a 2 MP camera on it and the Treo has a 1.3 MP camera.

I would definitely say go to a Sprint store before you buy a device and play around with both of them. Also ask your friends/colleagues if they have a Treo 700wx or Sprint Mogul. One last thing is that the Mogul gets a little getting used to and it is a little hard to dial a number in direct sunlight so to compensate, you will need to fully turn up the brightness and then the screen is tolerable in direct sunlight.

Please note that the Treo 700wx takes the SD (secure digital) memory card for added space, and the Mogul takes a mini-SD card. Also note that the Treo 700wx has Windows Mobile 5 and the Sprint Mogul has the new Windows Mobile 6. So it basically comes down to what memory format (SD or mini-SD) you want on your device, if the one handed operation is a deal breaker (since the Mogul has a sliding out keyboard versus a keyboard on the Treo that is on the front of the phone that is not hidden, and if you want WM5 or WM6.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    I thought the Mogul like the 6800 alltel has took a Micro SD/transflash card not miniSD.....easy to confuse but somewhat expensive if you buy the wrong one.......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No wait sorry, both take the Micro SD, sorry.......

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah i would go for the mogul as wel

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you could tell us what you use your phone for and what features are most important to you, it will be easier to point you in the right direction. :)

7. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hehe....okay, maybe I was right the first time.....

8. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Bundey is right it depends on what is important to you. If the one handed operation is important then the Treo would be a better choice. However from gamer's post if stability is a big factor I would go with the Mogul as I have used the Treo 700w and the PPC-6700 and the Mogul is a lot more stable then both of those. I was having to reset those two phones a couple times per day. I have only had to reset my Mogul once since I have had it which is about 3 weeks now.

9. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You are right strunke. Thanks for the correction.

10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I personally would go for the Mogul. I like HTC's smartphones versus the Treo.

11. sdspark58

sdspark58 New Member

I have owned both phones. Right now iI am using the mogul. I wish I had my treo back, my Treo never once locked up, or had any problems.The battery lasted 2 solid days. The mogul on the other hand always locks up and does some funky stuff. This is my second Mogul now and same things happinging. The battery life on the Mogul sucks, lucky if you get 12 hours of standby let alone if you talk for a few minutes. But yes the Mogul has nice features, but what good are they if the phone is dead.:mad:

12. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have had the complete opposite happen to me. My Sprint Treo 700wx would lock up a few times a day prompting me to do a soft reset. The other thing that happened is that my Treo would dial random speed dial contacts on my phonebook. I even put the keyguard on and it still did the same thing. As for the battery life on the Mogul, I believe that it is better than the battery that ships with the Treo when both phones are in the idle state. For example, I would make sure my Treo was fully charged when I went to bed, and after getting up in the morning and turning the phone back on (I would turn the phone feature off at night), the phone would be down to 80% 7 hours later. My Mogul on the other hand is still fully charged even with the phone feature on all night. Also, my Mogul gets a lot better reception than my Treo did. I do admit, however, than the Mogul uses more battery when making calls, but for the most part, I am not bothered by this. I might in the future get an extended battery to compensate for this.

Sdspark58, was your 700wx with Sprint or Verizon?

13. sdspark58

sdspark58 New Member

It was Sprint.

I use abot 2500 to 3000 min amonth, ao thats like 83 to 100 minutes a day. and my treo would last 2 solid days, never dialed speed #'s with keypad off. my mogul ( remind you this is my second one) i am lucky if i unplug it at 6am and it is stil on after 2pm.:mad:

14. Gamer03

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well since you use it a lot, then I see why it is a problem. You could also try out a extended battery in it, but if you aren't happy with the device to begin with, this will not help you. Also, if you are still under the 30 days, you could return it and try out a different PDA device.

15. sdspark58

sdspark58 New Member

Ya thats what i did with the treo. I had it for around 20 days the the Mogul came out, so i sent the tro in for the Mogul.