Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

7-digit dialing

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Telekom, Jul 28, 2008.

?

Can you make local calls by dialing just 7 digits?

Poll closed Aug 7, 2008.
  1. Yes, I can dial 7 digits to make local calls

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. No, I must dial 10 digits or 1+10 digits to make local calls

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I remember having a 706 area code when I lived at Ft. Benning. I was able to do 7 digit dialing then, don't know now. I think its easier to just dial 10 so you can make sure the call goes through.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's
    Benning is 10digits now. thats exactly the 706 area i was talking about. i take it you were stationed there or maybe for training?? what time frame?

3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    You're not kidding. Whoever orchestrated the area code changes in northern Georgia should have their head examined. All those wonky overlays, one covering one area, the other covering multiple areas AND overlaying 404 as well!! Central Florida's almost as confusing with what they have set up with 321. I just don't understanding what they were thinking? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I can dial seven digits when I am local, not sure if I can when I am in another area.

5. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I also always store my contacts with the county code prefix as well (ex: the country code for US from a mobile phone is +1, or from a landline 001). I travel abroad alot and it makes calling contacts easier when i don't have to think about entering the country code.

6. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wow, must of changed a lot since I lived there. No, I was living there because my dad was stationed there. lol I think just like with the days of 4 digit dialing (which I didn't know there was) the days of 7 digit dialing are limited.

7. NFrabbit

NFrabbit Member

My Phone:
    motorola RAZZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In NE Ohio we've had 10 digit dialing for 10 years or more. Even before that I put all numbers in my phones address book using 10 digits. I put all numbers I call in my phone on the assumption that if I call them once I will probably call them a second time so that way I don't have to go looking for the number.

The advantage is that I can call anybody I need to from anywhere I am in this country just by calling the entry on my phone. (I've heard some people say they have to use a 1 to make calls from their cell phone but I've never run into that).

The disadvantage is that my wife's work number is the only one I know by heart.:browani: I would sure hate to need to call either of our kids in an emergency since both live in different area codes and only have cell phones so there is no way I could get their number if I didn't have my cell phone with me. :loony:

8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I make a point when getting new lines on my account to get numbers that are easy to remember. Mine is the easiest as eons ago it was a CellularONE customer service number, so the last 4 digits are really easy to remember. When I got lines for my mom & dad I made sure the numbers were the same area code and exchange as my phone (for reasons of simplicity) and they let me look through the numbers available in that exchange and pick which ones I wanted.

-Jay

9. NFrabbit

NFrabbit Member

My Phone:
    motorola RAZZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If either of my kids offered to get me a cell phone, buy me dinner, pay for our airplane tickets to see them I think I would have a heart attack. :D

10. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I can dial with only 7 digits on at&t; but with some of the other wireless carriers 10 must be used here.

11. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    LOL, I write my cell phone bill off as a business expense, Mom & Dad's lines only add about $25/mo to the bill. I'm on a $50 rateplan with $20 unlimited data anyway. My bill was already at $70/mo + tax. Plus mom & dad's usage is almost 100% M2M because most of our friends & family are on AT&T. Mom used to have this crappy Tracfone that never got service out where she lived, and she would keep these crappy phones for 4 & 5 years. for $10/mo + tax she gets a new phone every 17 months, actual usable coverage in her area, M2M , rollover, and N&W so she doesn't have to be scared to use it. It turns out that she has a better phone and service for less money than she was paying with TracFone.

-Jay

12. carcrazy7200

carcrazy7200 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E71
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Tracfone (VZW)
    On AT&T, as long as i am in my home area code, I am able to just dial 7 digits, and that is the same it seems for all the carriers around here, as well as the landlines. If I am roaming, or am out of my home area code, I have to use 10 digit. I really don't care though, because I always just use 10 digit, even if i am at home :). I guess it is just a habit I have gotten into :p.

What is wierd though, from what I have seen, actual AT&T customers (both prepaid and postpaid) only have to use 7 digit dialing, but the MVNOs on AT&T (notably Tracfone) have to use 10 digit dialing. And none of the other networks here have to do that. :confused:

13. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I just activated a Boost iDen phone with my local 850 area code and I have to dial all numbers with 10 digits...

14. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    I miss the 7 digit dialing. In LI NY (along with the tri-State home calling area) 7 was good. Here in VA all are 10. :(

15. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Cellular One enabled 7-digit dialing here about two months ago, it was 10-digit when both Verizon and Alltel supported 7-digit and as silly as it seems to me, my friend there says that was one of their biggest complaints and some people even wouldn't sign up or would cancel over it!

Of course, Montanans can be set in their ways... especially older ones.