Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

7-digit dialing

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Telekom, Jul 28, 2008.

?

Can you make local calls by dialing just 7 digits?

Poll closed Aug 7, 2008.
  1. Yes, I can dial 7 digits to make local calls

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. No, I must dial 10 digits or 1+10 digits to make local calls

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    From your cellphone can you dial 7 digits for a local number?

I can dial 7 digits, 10, digits, 1+10 digits or +1 and 10 digits.

If I'm out of my local area and the area has 7 digit dialing if I dial 7 digits I'll get someone in my local area code and not in the area that I am visiting! (if I'm on T-Mobile.) If I'm using another company's network I have to dial 10 digits.

2. AshRae84

AshRae84 ...Formerly YourDream84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    Yes. If I'm in the 918 area code (Where I am from), I can call my mom w/out having to use the 918.

~*Ash*~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    My area code is finally splitting up so we will soon have to dial 10 or 11 digits. :(

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I voted no more out of a technicality. I have a Vonage number, which is like a landline, that's in area code 212. Even though there is "supposed" to be 10/11 digit dialing in 212, there are times I can call another Manhattan 212 number with just the 7 digits. Go fig?

In the Los Angeles area, you can pretty much dial 7 digits within a particular code, with the exception of 310/424, 714/657 (Larry's area), and soon 818/747. The other 13 or so codes in the area are OK. Though most people I know do the 10/11 digit thing because you can cross the street and be in a different code, it doesn't take much.

This is what happens when 18 million people call L.A. Metro home (pun not intended). :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    When I first got my cell phone 7 digit dialing worked, but only when I was on my home network, and only in my hometown. Lately when I've gone back to my hometown 7 digit dialing does not work on the cell anymore, but 7 digit dialing still works with the landlines.

-Jay

6. Barciurek

Barciurek Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I never knew you could dial without area code... :|

now i know why idiots from Florida know I live in Pennsylvania and they still give me number without area code...

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    That makes no difference... Here in my area there has been 10 digit dialing for like 15 years. We have our area code, plus like 3 overlay AC's plus we're close to DC and MD so that's another bunch of AC's. At work we use a customer's telephone number as their account number. I'm shocked how many people give me their number, and then I have to ask what the AC is...

-Jay

8. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto RAZR 5G,G Stylus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es70)

Even though I've gotten used to ten digit dialing, I can dial a 7 digit number without dialing the 267 area code. There have been splits (215/610) & overlays (215/267 & 610/484/835) for several years in the Philly market.

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I have a Verizon and AT&T phone with my home area code, 850. On my Verizon phone, it depends on my physical location. If I'm in Tallahassee, Quincy, Perry, I can dial 7 digits. Once I cross the Apalachicola River, I am on a different SID and I have to dial all calls with 10 digits although my area code goes from Perry and Madison on the East to Pensacola on the west. If I go further east in my SID, dialing 7 digits will still connect me to numbers in my area code although I could be located in the 904, 386, or 352 area codes. If I go to other 7 digit areas and dial only 7 digits, different things happen. I went to Tampa, Albany, GA, Macon, and Montgomery, AL and dialing 7 digits got me numbers in those areas. Going to Birmingham, Alabama, dialing only 7 digits yielded an error message recording (your number cannot be completed as dialed...), although area code 205 isn't mandatory 10 digit dialing. AT&T depends on location I think... Haven't traveled with it. I have an AllTel phone with a 678 area code and I must dial the 10 digit number regardless of location, since metro Atlanta has mandatory 10 digit dialing. My T-Mobile phone with the 478 area code has 7 digit dialing and dialing 7 digits connects me to other 478 phones regardless of location.

10. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Wow Quint, sounds pretty confusing with all of the different rules that apply to your numbers. I wonder why there is no uniform policy? It makes no sense. This is why I use 10 or 11 digits for dialing regardless who I'm calling, whether they're sitting next to me or are on the other side of the country. It avoids possible dialing confusion and wrong numbers...:)

11. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    As long as I am anywhere in my home SID on Alltel (114) in SC or NC,
    then I could call anyone in my area code (864) with 7 digits.

If roaming in any other Alltel SID, like 116 near me,
    or on Sprint or Verizon's network, then it's all 10-digit dialing.

I have however roamed on US Cellular and Carolina West Wireless in Western NC,
    and was still able to make local calls on 7 digits.

12. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Its not really confusing... Its how the networks implement their network. I think that Verizon has the most oddities with the dialing patterns. It doesn't help that my area code is split into 2 different SIDs and the policies aren't consistent. I'm glad that I'm dialing numbers from my phone book... And my phone numbers are saved with 11 digits to ensure call completion... I have had only one call fail because I used 11 digits. Alltel seems to be straight forward... Since the area code I chose has mandatory 10D dialing, it is what it is. With T-Mobile, it depends on the area code as well; its a little strange being able to dial 7 digits and still get the home area code; when I had an Atlanta phone number, I had to dial 10d since that area has 10d dialing.

13. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I only have one AC to deal with. I really don't call out of town that much, and when I have to its rare. But for some reason, I always dial my AC and then the number, like if its second nature :lol:

14. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I remember reading on the SunCom FAQs that all their customers must dial 10 digits throughout its network regardless of location... It beats the melange of policies the other providers has.

15. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    As I mentioned in my last post, I haven't used 7 digits to dial anybody in ages. Because there are so many area codes in SoCal, AND the fact that many people have cell numbers different than the area code they're living in (my 3 lines are like this), using 10/11 digit dialing just makes more sense and saves on minutes used, wrong numbers, and headaches.

Not only that, but when I travel places, I don't want to have to figure out what area code to use if I need to call someone back home because I just had their 7-digit number programmed into my phone instead of the entire 10 digits. For me it's better to be safe than sorry.

16. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    In my area, local radio stations
    (especially those in Charlotte, Greenville / Spartanburg, Columbia, Charleston & Myrtle Beach)
    advertise most local business ads in 7-digit dialing,
    because most people expect you to know the area codes here,
    and the area codes here are at least 100 miles across.

Sometimes we get to hear both 7 & 10 digit ads, but it's mostly 7-digit.

Even Charlotte's radio station's studio lines in are always "570-xxxx" (with 704 area code),
    but 704 has a recent split of 980, so I wonder if this'll continue.

Most Charlotte radio stations could heard in many parts of 6 area codes,
    704/980, 828, 864, 803, 336. and even make it into parts of 910 and 843.

17. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Up until about 10 years ago the town I grew up in still had 4 digit dialing with landline service at the time that it switched to 7 digit dialing I was told it was one of the last two towns in america that still had 4 digit dialing. This was in Montana

18. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Lucky you...

4-digit dialing became a thing of the past in Los Angeles sometime in the early '70s. I have no memory of ever dialing only 4-digits to reach someone, since I was a kid back then.

19. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    When I was a kid we used to be able to do 5 digit dialing up until our area got touch tone service in the mid 80's. Not having to dial 2 numbers on a rotary was a big thing!

-Jay

20. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Interesting that when Vancouver BC got an overlay (778 over 604) when people quote their number they still say the 7 digit number. The only ones who don't quote 7 digits are the ones who got a new 778 number.

Here in Seattle back in 1997 the area got one of the "NXX" area codes i.e. an area code with other than 1 or 0 as the second digit for the surrounding suburbs. Here when anyone quotes a number it's usually 206-NXX-xxxx, 425-NXX-xxxx or 253-NXX-xxxx. If you quote 7 digits the person you quote the number to will ask which area code.

21. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Really? I never knew that you could do this. I guess I was to young to know about this. The city where I live in is kinda small. I think by next year or something like that, the numbers for my area code are going to run out. I usually use 10 digits when I dial from my cell, but my landline I usually use 7. Don't know why though. :headscrat

22. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    yep still 7 numbers here in oklahoma.:eek:

23. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    So far it looks like the consensus of votes show more people can dial 7 digits, which is good. Not that it's a big deal either way, but it is more convenient than having to dial 10 or 11 digits (if you have to dial the number versus having a preprogrammed auto-dial setup, like on cell phones).

24. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I've been storing my numbers in my phones with 10 digits since about a month after I got my first phone. I started storing all numbers as 7 digits, but whenever my phone roamed on another network I always got an error message saying I needed to dial the area code. After I got that message a few times I just gave up and put 10 digits in all my phonebook entries.

-Jay

25. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I can't remember ever not using 10 digits when saving contacts on my phones.

26. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I know I can dial 7-digit numbers, but I always dial either +1 and 10-digit number or 1 and 10-digit number.

27. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I could do 7-digit dialing anywhere in the East Valley, but I program everything into my cellphone as 10-digits...

28. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    Georgia is a mess. I pretty much have to always dial 10. my phones usually add in the 1 if necessary ive noticed.

29. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Especially the northern half! I wonder how long will it take for the southern half to catch up to 10D dialing? LOL

It's been 10 years since metro Atlanta has had 10D imposed... The 706/762 thing has been going for the last 2 years, I think!?

30. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea ATL will be adding i think 2 more area codes over the next 2 years.

not to mention there is 2 706 markets, Athens area which of course is North East and then Midwest area of Muscogee/Harris/Chattahoochee/Marion/etc county area.

one of these 2 areas will also be getting a new Area code soon but probably another 2-3 years depending.