Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

6681 / 6682 on Cingular

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Steven2420, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Steven2420

Steven2420 World Champions Baby!!!!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Re: The Welcome Thread !

Charlyee,

Thanks so much for the welcome,I really appreciate it. As far as the phone goes, I love Cingular, but I hate what they do to firmware once they get a hold of the phone. For example, the Apps are all included if you buy it from Nokia, and with Cingular, you pay for them. Also, when I bought this, they had not released the 6682 yet. I was hoping that 1900 will still work well after the integration. If you type in 33170, you will see that my area is MOSTLY 1900.

Steve

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Ok that makes perfect sense. You may also be aware that the 6682 with Cingular branding has some call log disappearing problems when used with a 64K SIM. I use it with a 32K SIM and so I have had no issues what so ever and I really really really like the phone....:D

Our area is all 850, so for me 6682 is it.

I was the only one on WA to have the 668X till you joined, so I am specially pleased that you did. I would love to hear what applications you have on the 6682, but probably be better if you either started a new thread in the Nokia Forum or you could also PM me......... you choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Steven2420

Do you have any idea if the 1900's will work good after integration? I really don't have allot of fancy apps. What I use is Agile Messenger, TaskSpy, fExplorer, AutoLock. The apps I was referring to were the Word and Excel apps. Cingular charges for them and Nokia does not!!! I have made a new friend Charlyee, thanks!!! :)

Steve

4. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

I would think that 1900 would still work good for you, if anything the integration should make the stronger of the 2 signals available to your phone at all times.

Yes WORD & EXCEL does bug me and I keep putting off buying it every month. I use fExplorer, Papyrus, Cell Track, Calcium, CityTime, and Stop Watch. I am looking for a conversion program (Metrics- US) for it, any recommendations?

PS: I would recommend you post the 1900 question on the Cingular Forum, bobolito or someone else, will be give you a more definitive answer.

5. Steven2420

Sorry, I don't knowof ANY conversion programs. Do you Like Papyrus, I dumped it but maybe I did not have patience with it? I also use World Clock, awesome product!

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Yes, I do like Papyrus very much. I like the idea of being able to see meetings and tasks all on one screen and also to be able to color code it. The only thing lacking is the ability to set recurring tasks on it but with everyone requesting it I am hoping it is coming soon.

City time is kind of similar to World Clock I think. The biggest reason I went with City Time is that I have used it with all my PDAs. I am trying to get away from using a PDA and a phone and yet have a small enough phone. I tried the Siemens SX66 for a day but wasn't for me.

I am assuming you like the phone itself, how long have you had it?

PS: Have you looked at CellTrack, it's a neat freeware, I have been having a lot of fun with it lately. Take a look at this thread sometime.

7. Steven2420

I love the phone. It is the most awesome cell phone I have used, and I have had allot!!!! LOL. I have had Treo 650, RaZr, Nokia 6620, Moto V551, Nokia 7210. This is the best. CellTrac confuses me, maybe I didn't have patience with that either. you could help me though, if I need it,OK?

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

I go through phones very quickly also.

CellTrack was a little tricky for me also but once I started using it, everything fell in place.

I will be happy to help if I can but I am sure you won't need any once you start using it regularly.:)

9. Steven2420

I just need you to go over the basics with me,the direction-compass part and the name part. What is the real purpose of it? It looks cool, but the instructions suck. I am pretty good with apps, this one is wierd to me!

Thanks,

Steve

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

CellTrack is probably capable of doing much more than what I use it for, since the instruction do "suck". However, the developer of the program Axel Fischer is very good and he replies to E mails quite promptly.

I use it to locate cell towers when I travel and get the signal strength reading. I don't think it has any practical purpose but is a lot a lot of fun. Sometimes I get a surprise and log in weird nos. that make no sense. I do have a couple of the towers pictures tied in but I did not want load up the memory with tower pics.

I have not been able to have the Cell Name show uo even though I have "cell name from ID" turned on, one of these days I will E Mail Mr. Fischer on it.

The compass on the first screen gives you a pictorial view of where the tower is with respect to you.

The actual compass screen is somewhat meaningless in my opinion, all that gives you is 1)where North is if you can locate the sun/moon or 2) where the sun/moon is you know which direction is the Noth.

As you know it also gives you the battery charge level and IMEI, ver etc. of your phone.

Hope that helps.

What did I miss?

11. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil

Wow you guys really have me wanting the Nokia 668X :D

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Go for it Gideon....:D

13. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil

Know where I can find it in blue? I saw it in a review and it was awesome :biggrin:

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Sorry Gideon, I don't know how to get the blue. I have the all silver from Cingular and I just found out from Steven2420 that the one directly from Nokia is white & silver.

15. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat New Member

Since you people seem to be the resident '82 experts, mind if I ask a question (or several) in here?

I have TMobile in Western WA, and I'm looking to get the 6682. Now, I know that I'd have to buy it from Nokia directly, as none of Cingular's plans are anywhere near what I have for what I pay.

Now for the real issue: Will a unlocked 6682 be fully functional on TMobile? They've assured me they can unlock it, I just want to make sure I'm not going to drop some large sum of money on a hobbled phone.

Thanks!

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello Combat Wombat, Welcome to Wa :)

When you get the phone fron Nokia, it comes as unlocked but also make sure it is unbranded.

Mine is from Cingular, it is branded & locked & I have been fighting with Cingular to get an unlock code for it. There are no unlock codes for it available from private parties either yet. Unbranding is available from private parties.

With the phone unlocked & unbranded you should be able to use it with T-Mobile.

Did I answer all your questions?

It is a fantastic phone btw.:)

PS: T-Mobile will be able to unlock it for you.

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ooops sorry, I meant to say T-Mobile will NOT be able to unlock it for you. Actually at this time nobody can.

18. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    There are also places online where you can get it unlocked/unbranded if you dont want to risk it from Nokia. I personally like Plemix. But it is sold-out there right now.

19. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat New Member

Oh suck.

In regards to the unlocked/unbranded from Nokia, when I called them up they said they were selling basically Cingular-ready phones, so I'm assuming that means no on that. Hmm.

Maybe I'll snag an N70 from Plemix, as it's the price I was willing to pay for a 6682.

20. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Gideon your link takes me to a 6681 not the 6682. I couldn't find the the 6682 on Plemix can you point me to it.

I found it on Expansys for 614 USD, wheras on Nokia it is 499 USD and free shipping.

21. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Steven2420 just got his 6682 from Nokia last week, maybe he will stop by and shed some light on this. :)

22. Steven2420

Actually,the phone that I bought from Nokia, the 6682 is Unbranded and Unlocked, however, it is Cingular ready. That means that when the phone arrived, there was NO BRANDING, but, the Cingular Network was already set up, to include WAP and ISP settings. What does that mean for you? It may cause a problem with your useage and coverage. I had a 6681 that was great, I just needed to have GSM 850 for building penetration and more choices as I use my phone CONSTANTLY for my clients. I would suggest that if you want to stay with T-Mobile, that is ALL 1900, you either buy a 6681, or look for Unbranded, Unlocked and UN-Cingular Ready! If you look on eBay, my 6681 is there, but I don't want to make it seem like I am promoting it. Go to eBay auctions in our forum and see what is there. I hope that I have helped somewhat!!

Steve

23. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Plemix doesnt have the XXX2 versions... like the 6102, 6682, etc. Only the ones generally sold outside of the US. (6681, 6101, etc.)

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks for clarifying that, that's kind of what I thought, too bad because their prices are fantastic. Ofcourse for T-Mobile that works.

25. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Lol... exactly :D

One downside, though... they are out of stock a lot because of those great prices.

26. Steven2420

Another tremendous upside to this phone. The modem!!! Since Hurricane Wilma wiped out every form of communication that we have in Miami for at least 2 weeks, I have had to go online with my phones modem. (Yes, I have an unlimited data plan, so I am not stealing MB's). It has been connecting at 115-460kbs on average. Every post that I have done or responded to has been on the awesome modem from my Nokia 6682. Great for emergency form of communication. Very powerful and reliable. :)

PS---I AM NOT PROMOTING TEATHERING....I PAY FOR A PLAN!!

Steve

27. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat New Member

So possible good news from Nokia, when I asked if I can get a 6682 with no trace of Cingular on it, they said yes, it is possible. Shenanigans? We'll see. Unfortunately, I've got a car to fix, an Xbox 360 to buy, and rent to pay, and then I can get it, but at least it is doable! Woo!

28. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Aww this is better than the XBOX :p

29. Steven2420

Much better Gideon, it is almost as entertaining as "Lost".

I LOVE WA!!!! :loony: :loony: :loony: :loony: :loony:

30. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Lol I only said that because Microsoft horrid and people should get the PS3... or a cellphone ;):p