Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

6340i Test Mode

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by mber, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mber

mber New Member

I'm seeking some test mode assistance with a Nokia 6340i on Cingular. This is a GAIT phone that is capable of analog,TDMA and GSM. I'm trying to determine if my coverage is good enough on GSM to upgrade to a straight GSM phone (Treo 650 when available). I can enter test mode on the phone,but I need to better understand the codes that I'm looking at in order to determine the mode that I'm operating in (analog, TDMA or GSM). Can anyone assist?

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    You can search the forums under my author username, in the old forums too, for information on the test modes and it's meaning.

But there is a simplier way. Go to Menu->Messages->scroll up until you see 'Service Command Editor' (or something like that, I forget). If it is Bold you are in GSM; if it is grey, dimmed out, you are in TDMA or analog. You can leave it in this place and observe it switching between grey and Boldface to see your coverage.

Also, during a call, if you screen says 'Mute' in the lower right corner, that is TDMA; if it says 'Hold' that is GSM.

It helped me decide switching to a full GSM phone. One last point; when you phone switches to TDMA because of poor signal, it will not go back to GSM automatically (even if the GSM is stronger) until the TDMA is lost completely, or until 6 minutes has expired. That's the GAIT system flaw. Don't be fooled into thinking your coverage (GSM) is poor.

You can re power your phone if in doubt, that will force it to come up GSM (if available). There is a software reboot, but I forget it's code...something like *3360*. Or try a 30 day GSM phone trial...you can go back I'm sure.

Looking at the Test Mode codes really doesn't give more information because when it is in one mode (say TDMA), the GSM data is frozen, so you really don't know if you are in range of any towers.

Good luck

#2 viewfly, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  3. mpallo

mpallo Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6590i, 6820b
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US

http://www.bryte.net/gsm/netmon.asp

Hope this helps.