Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

6340/verdict

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by BigFoot, Nov 6, 2002.

1. BigFoot

BigFoot Member

Well, now that the gait phone has been re-released, what is the feedback on coverage? Has it turned out to be as good as expected? I live in northern NJ, but should that even make a difference? What is a good price and where should I go to buy one?

2. UNCCJester

UNCCJester Junior Member

Well, being that Cingular is the only carrier, then you would go to a Cingular store to buy one. [​IMG] j/k But in all seriousness, it's probably still being sold in certain areas..I'd check with the webpage for phones under your zipcode and see if it's there, or call one of the Cingular stores to be certain. I'm one of the few exceptions...my 6340 roams in the home area b/c they told me it would when I bought it, and when it stopped, I hounded Cingular CS for a week and got it back. The coverage is ungodly with this phone b/c it will roam here in Charlotte. The phone goes for $119...I got mine for $59 or $69 b/c I hadn't asked for an upgrade ever and I've been with Cingular for almost 4 years now. If you've been with them for 2 years, they'll sell it to you at 1/2 price.

Another thing to check is making sure it will cover all the areas you go to on the preferred nation plan. I had to get the Nation plan b/c I'd get screwed if I went to VA or WV and it still roamed...lemme know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help you as best as I can.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

My Cingular dealer here on the West coast of Florida warned me away from the 2390 and toward the Sony-Ercisson T61d. He did so because of reliability and my needs. My needs for nationwide multimode roaming without dropping calls or paying for it are best met by the SE tri mode. He said the additional GSM mode offered by the 2390 works well or poorly depending on where you use the phone. In the FL Pandhandle, for example, the switchover to someone else's GSM 1900 does not go smoothly, and the calls get dropped. The T61d works better because it stays with the 3 modes that Cingular has a proven track record with, and unlike the 6340, doesn't grab a flaky GSM connection just because it finds one.

I took his advice.[​IMG]

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Of course, Cingular GSM markets like NYC don't have an option like that. The T61d is a TDMA phone so it is sold in TDMA markets only. The 6340 is being sold in several TDMA and GSM markets. The NYC market is already selling the 6340 so it is available for North NJ users. The BIG MINUS I see is that, for NYC market users, although it prefers the GSM signal from T-Mobile, it will often wander into AT&T's TDMA network which is much stronger than T-Mobile's. What does that mean? You will be nailed with roaming charges everytime your phone uses the AT&T network instead of the T-Mobile network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rebguy1

rebguy1 Member

Has anyone tried out the 6340 in any rural areas yet? In particular, the mountains of western NC/ East TN/ western VA/ WV? I have family in Mitchell County, NC (just south of Johnson City, TN), and I travel to Summersville, WV and my college alma mater in Lexington, VA regularly. I also travel to Macon, GA and northern AL occasionally (Talledega, Huntsville). I'm on Cingular GSM in NC, and my CF-888 gives me good service roaming on Powertel (T-Mobile) in GA and AL when I travel there, but analog service is spotty in western VA and WV, in Summersville I show 3 or 4 bars analog but get prompted to enter a credit card number if I try to make a call. When I'm with my family in Mitchell County, NC I either get the same recording or have "emergency calls only" showing on the display. I have noticed that I have better service on I-81 in VA than I do on I-77. The last time I went to Lexington, I had good analog service from south of Blacksburg all the way to Lexington. I'm wondering if the 6340 is able to pick up TDMA in this area. I've seen posts that say the phone is only allowed to roam with T-Mobile in VA (Richmond, Tidewater) but I haven't heard from anyone who has actually tried the phone anywhere in VA.

My contract is finished with Cingular, and I've talked about upgrading to the 6340. Since I've always paid my bill on time they have been very accomodating in trying to get me to stay with Cingular, they have told me I can keep my Cingular Nation plan with the 3500 night/weekend minutes; but I've been holding off till I can find out for sure how this phone performs. I know UNCCJester has had good results with the phone in Charlotte (thanks for all the info!), I have no complaints with service in the Charlotte area with the phone I have now; but I'd really like to be able to use my phone when I go to the mountains. I've stuck with Cingular because I've always had great customer service experiences with them since 1997 when they were Bell South Mobility DCS around here, but I feel like I should keep my options open. I'd love to hear about any experience you've had with this phone.

Also, I see that the 6340i has come out in central TN, has anyone heard if they've worked out some of the bugs that seem to have plagued the 6340 with this new phone?

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I looked in Cingular's website and I see the 6340 for both TN markets, not the 6340i. Are you sure this is what you saw? I only see the 6340.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. rebguy1

rebguy1 Member

BWD posted in the Southern forum that the 6340i had just come out in Nashville, he posted yesterday. That is the only thing I've heard about it, he said he was a Cingular agent there. I did hear it was supposed to be coming out soon, maybe that's why they're selling the 6340's so cheap now. I haven't seen it on the website, either; and I haven't talked to anyone at any of the stores around here (Charlotte) about it. If it is close to being released I believe I'll wait for it to upgrade, I seem to remember seeing that the GSM upgrade in GA and AL will be 850 GSM and not 1900.

On another note, I found the new Preferred Nation Plus map online; I could only find it in New York, though. The coverage looks as good as Verizon's AC map. It looks like I-81 in VA is covered all the way up, and the Cingular Extend area looks a lot smaller. I assume this is supposed to be both GSM and TDMA coverage, I hope the map looks the same when it works its way down here; I know the Preferred Nation map for TDMA areas has a lot more coverage than the Preferred Nation map for GSM areas does. The price looks pretty good, too; 39.99 for 350 anytime and 3000 N&W with rollover. They don't have a Cingular Nation plan at all on their website, I wonder if this means they're phasing it out completely? If the map is a pretty true representation of coverage, this will still be a good deal, though.

8. rebguy1

rebguy1 Member

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I took my 6340 GAIT phone bought in Columbia, SC to the mountains this past Saturday and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Almost no coverage. I think the only coverage was when I crossed the interstate. I went to the top of Mount Mitchell. No coverage but my Nextel phone did work. The 6340 does not seem to roam at all in the Carolinas.

It worked great in George several weeks ago.[​IMG]

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just a wake up call on all these quasi-national plans. Don't be fooled by those maps. The fact that you are in an orange area does not guarantee your phone will pick its native network 100% of the times. The orange areas only mean there's a Cingular network there that can cover you but most likely there's another network your phone can roam into in the same area so there's always a chance your phone can switch to "Cingular Extend." I was told by a Cingular rep that charges depend on which tower your phone picks even if you are in your own bedroom. What Cingular doesn't want you to know is that both Cingular and Cingular Extend networks co-exist in the same areas in most of the US. Although the phone is programmed to prefer its native network, there's always a chance it will jump to the Extend network. The same goes for Verizon and AT&T quasi-national plans.

11. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

It's unfortunate that you can't manually set the phone to stay on your provider's network like you can with Sprint. That way you wouldn't have to worry about accidents running up your bill, but in an emergency if you really needed to use the phone and you couldn't get your own signal you could change the setting back to "find any tower" and make a call.

Oh well, I still have the "Real" national plan.

12. rebguy1

rebguy1 Member

Thanks to the anonymous poster from Columbia for the info! I don't know which way you came up, but if you were on I-26 you should have gotten good coverage from Hendersonville through Asheville and Weaverville, anyway. I haven't been up that way in a while, but I used to get good GSM coverage through there; and I understand the coverage has gotten a little better through there. If you couldn't get a signal on top of Mt Mitchell, though; it's a sure bet I wouldn't get a signal in Mitchell County. Bakersville is where I go up there, it is near the foot of the Roan Mountain; you can see the top of Mt Mitchell from the ridges up in there. The only two companies that provide coverage up there are Verizon and US Cellular; all my family up there who have cell phones use US Cellular and they get good coverage. I figured that Cingular wouldn't let the phone roam with Verizon, but I was hoping maybe it would catch a US Cellular tower. Does anyone know if they maintain TDMA for roamers in that area? From Charlotte, I travel I-85 to US 321 to I-40 west and get GSM coverage all the way to Marion where I get off on NC 226. I keep GSM coverage to the north side of Marion, up to just short of where you go up the mountain at Cox Creek, then I lose coverage when I go up the mountain to Spruce Pine. I get an analog signal through Spruce Pine, but I can't call out; I get the recording to enter a credit card number. By the time I get to Bakersville, I have "Emergency Calls Only" showing on my display. If you keep travelling on NC 226 past Bakersville you go over the Iron Mountain into Unicoi, TN; GSM coverage picks up again as you go on toward Johnson City. I was hoping that maybe the 6340 would roam TDMA or analog up there.

I have heard from UNCC Jester that if you complain to customer service, they will set the phone up to roam in the Carolinas, it sounds as if you are only getting Cingular GSM service. But it seems that they don't have any roaming agreements with anyone in the area, so it probably wouldn't matter. Oh, well, like I said, I'm keeping my options open; right now, I'm not under any contractual obligation to anyone, maybe I can use that to my advantage! [​IMG]

13. UNCCJester

UNCCJester Junior Member

Hey guys, just a reminder. The home area here is NC, SC, Eastern GA & Eastern TN. It WON'T roam in the home area initially, b/c Cingular programmed it that way! That's what I had to stay after Cingular Tech Support for, for a whole week (that 866 number is no longer in service). Trust me, if you get them to let it roam in the home area, you'll change your mind about the 6340. If they did that and advertised it, they'd have business out the ying-yang! I don't care what Cingular says, the 6340 CAN and WILL roam in the home area, and I'm proof of it [​IMG] If you're on GSM and there's TDMA to be found, the 6340 picks up on it in 20 seconds or less! [​IMG] That's impressive to me. They just don't want to foot the bill for the local roaming...the only thing is it roams on AT&T's TDMA network in Charlotte...I thought I read somewhere on here that they had free roaming with each other...someone fill me in on the roaming relationship between these 2 providers...just curious.

Anonymous: Yes, you're right about getting no coverage on the BRP and certain areas in the mountains. I know there's no GSM coverage at Sugar Mountain and if you hop off I-40 to get on Hwy 74 like you're going Western Carolina, after you go past that first town on 74, you lose GSM. I'll be going to Winterplace Ski Resort (15 miles short of Beckley, WV on I-77) on 12/8 & 12/9 (any skiiers/snowboarders out there???) and I'll let you guys know how it roams up there. I was looking on THIS Cingular Map and it LOOKS like up I-77 it should roam just fine on Cingular Extend's network....I'll verify it soon enough [​IMG]

The key here guys is to b!tch at Cingular CS (don't even bother with a store rep for this) to give you the ONE extra file to your IRDB download to make it roam in the home area! Especially when your home area includes FOUR states [​IMG] and a LOOOOT of BFE to it [​IMG]...otherwise it's just like another regular GSM phone until you go outside the home area. This phone is VERY powerful, Cingular just limits it.

14. rebguy1

rebguy1 Member

Hi, UNCCJester, and thanks again for all the good info! I plan to hound CS service for roaming service in the home area, I think the fact that I've been a good customer for them for several years should help; especially if I threaten to switch to another carrier. If you head up toward Cullowhee in the near future, be sure and give us a report! I didn't have my CF-888 the last time I was up that way, so I don't know if there's any analog service it will roam with up there. The last time I was up that way I still had an old Motorola phone (I don't even remember the model number, but it was GSM only), and I remember service stopped at Waynesville. I hear they've extended GSM service to Brevard sometime recently. I'm hoping the 6340 will be able to roam TDMA with US Cellular or SunCom, I'd think it would at least have decent analog coverage. I'm going to check next week and see if they have the 6340i in any of the stores around here, and I'll give CS service a call. I've always been very satisfied with their CS service, so we'll see what happens. Now that Cingular has a new CEO, I'm hoping they'll get this problem fixed once and for all. A lot of good things happened at Sprint after their change of command, I hope the same thing happens at Cingular, too.