Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

6340 or 6340i net monitor/field test

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by n7ryy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. n7ryy

n7ryy Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple Iphone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon times 2
    I just purchased a Nokia 6340 or 6340i on Ebay to use for finding GSM cell sites. I'm not sure if it is a 6340 or 6340i as the manual says it is an i model, but underneath the battery it says 6340.

I had heard that field test/net monitor could be activated on this phone by typing in *3001#12345# I have typed in this code with no sim inserted, a deactivated T-Mobile SIM, a deactivated ATTWS SIM, and an active Cingular SIM with no response. Anyone have any ideas????
    Thanks
    Jeremy:confused:

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi, if I remember right, you would have to do*3001#12345# then turn the phone off, then back on. Field Test should be available when you turn it back on.

Let me know if it worked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. n7ryy

n7ryy Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon times 2
    Nope didn't work. When I enter the code nothing seems to happen. I power cycled it anyway, and looked thru the menus for field test but no luck. Any other ideas??? I really want this to work so that I can have a 850 MHz GSM field test mode phone. I have an 8290 with field test, but it is only 1900 MHz.
    Thanks
    Jeremy

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I just read your original post again, I think you actually have a 6340 and I believe the 6340 did not have Field Test only the "i" did.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    This is probably a bit iffy for me as well since with Nokia's GSM models you definitely need to flash your GSM phone with a firmware version that contains Field Test. As far as I know, this is only available to Nokia dealers. Since the 6340 is a GSM/TDMA or GAIT handset, there might be another way to activate it.

6. n7ryy

n7ryy Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon times 2
    That would be a bummer if it didn't work. I will call or email Nokia tomorrow to figure out exactly which model I have. Maybe it just has old firmware and needs to be upgraded???

7. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    That could be, let us know what you can turn up on that question. There was a guy over at Howard's Forums who did flash peoples' phones with Field Test-enabled firmware but he was stopped by Nokia from continuing the practice since for some reason they want to retain control over the distribution of their firmware.

8. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Very Sorry Jeremy, but you've been 'ebayed'. If the phone does not have an 'i' after the 6340 under the battery, you don't have a 6340i. And the old 6340 did not have field test mode access by typing in the numbers above. It also has many bugs.

Best just to get another, but right one, for $20 on ebay.

9. n7ryy

n7ryy Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon times 2
    Well at least I only paid under $10 with shipping for it. I guess since the 6340 only does 1900 GSM it wouldn't be too great a phone for Cingular, but would work fine for T-Mobile. It is already unlocked, so it shouldn't be too hard to sell to someone for a T-Mo backup phone.

10. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    FYI, the 6340i includes the 850 GSM band; your right that the non 'i' version does not include this useful cingular band. The 6340i is 850/1900 GSM and 800/1900TDMA and 800 Analog.

11. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW & Sprint, & "the carrier fka Cingular"
    I picked up a Nokia 6340i on eBay.

This morning, I tried *3001#12345# and powered the phone off and on. Sure enough, when powered back on, it came up in test mode. If I scroll to screen 01-06, I see four networks (310410, 310410, 310380, and 310090.) I believe the 410 and 380 networks are Cingular. I have 090 listed as Edge. All those networks are in the left-hand column of the display. Interestingly, with a Cingular SIM card in my phone, there are no networks listed in the right-hand (forbidden) column.

I was hoping to be able to see what networks were available. I am starting to think that screen 01-06 is just reading my SIM card, and displaying how my phone should react to specific networks if they are available.

Does anyone know if there is any way for me to tell what networks are available and whether an available network is 850 or 1900 Mhz? I know what's available here, at home, but it would be interesting to know when I'm on the road somewhere.

With a T-Mobile SIM card in the same phone, screen 01-06 just shows several T-Mobile network codes in the left-hand column, and right-hand column just "F's." (Empty)

12. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I have a 6340 I tried to get into test mode but no luck. The phone looks brand new and I needed a phone to test 1900 only. I have a dual band test phone but some times I need to test the 1900 only. 850 always overpowers the 1900 so hence the need for a 1900 only phone. The 6340 is an older phone may want to check yours it may be 1900 only.

13. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I would recommend reading this and this.

14. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks, dmapr!

Those are useful and interesting links.

I still can't figure out how to determine what networks are available in my immediate area. I know, now, that line 1 in screen 01-06 is the network code of the network to which I most recently connected. Other screens show information about adjacent cells, but I would like to know what other GSM networks (by MNC) are within range.

Any ideas?

15. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The only way I can think of is to use a foreign SIM that allows roaming on all US networks. That way you can register on each network one by one and figure out their MNCs. I wish I had a better advice, but I was not able to dig anything up, sorry :(

P.S. Another way would be to use a cheap Motorola phone, enable manual network selection on it and scan all available networks, then hit View network. It'll show the MCC-MNC for it (I wish Nokia had that info in the network list display).

16. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):

Thanks, dmapr,

I think I'll pursue the "cheap Motorola phone" route. Would any unlocked GSM Motorola work?

17. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I don't have a lot of experience with Motorolas, you may want to post this question separately in the Moto forum. I've seen this work on V180, V220, V400, V505, V551 and V600. I haven't had a chance to check on any of the later models.

18. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):

Thanks, dmapr!

That is (more) good advice!

19. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    good info, they never seem to have info on my phone models thou. I wish I could just get a flash or SMS to open the field test. getting cables and software is just a pain in the ____.

I have been looking up Nokia 6010, 6340 and 6103.

20. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    My understanding in DCT-3 models field test can be activated with a code, in DCT-4 — with a flasher and a hacked firmware, and in BB5 nobody has found the way to do it yet :(

Most of these guides were written for DCT-3 when activating it was easy.

21. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I understand why nokia has to be super secretive with the test mode or is it all the GSM phone makers as well. I had my V400 put on field test and it wasnt as hard.