Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

6230 Freezes

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by rhapsodyosx, Sep 2, 2005.

1. rhapsodyosx

rhapsodyosx Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Bellsouth DCS native GSM since '96)
    I just got a brand new 6230 off of ebay and it seems that every 12-24 hours the phone freezes or "hangs up"..similar to a software program. The only way to get it working again is to take the batter out and power it back on.

Is this a software issue?

Will nokia replace or fix this phone, since i did not buy it from cingular (although it is a cingular version and all). I have never dealt with them in a warranty repair siutation.

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There was a post by someone here about this problem, and that Cingular pulled all the 6230's off the shelves because of it. Is the phone an ENS version?
    I would call Cingular CS or warranty exchange & see if they will do anything for you, if not call Nokia.

3. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    i bought the phone off of ebay, so would cingular CS even mess with it?

4. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It can't hurt to try, just don't say anything about Ebay to them unless they come back with "we show you owning a different phone" then you would have to say you got it off Ebay & ask them for the next best thing like Nokia's phone #.
    I do not think you will get away with Cingular, but they can get you the information & in the right direction from there, if they don't take it back, unless the person you bought it from on Ebay is willing to take it back & give you a refund, that is another option.

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    If the phone is brand new then the chances are it is from the 1% that Cingular claims freezes up and was pulled off the shelf. If it is from this batch and is Cingular branded, I am pretty sure they will replace it. These were manufactured May 2005 or later. The mfg. date is under the battery, if you don't want to pull the battery out then type in *#war0anty# and you will get to the service menu, which amongst other info, gives the mfg. date also. When you call Cingular make sure you give them that date.

All manufacturers have a 1 year warranty so yes Nokia will take care of it also. The biggest advantage of going through Cingular is that they send you the replacement phone and then you send in yours so you are never without a phone. With Nokia you have to send yours in and they will either replace it or repair it.

Let us know how it goes.

Hope this hepls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I just looked at the manufacture date and it was made in July 05. Is there anything i should say (in particular) to cingular or what not to say to see if they will fix it?

Thanks for the help, i do appreciate it!

7. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I just got off the phone with Cingular... they are going to give me a different phone, not the same one i had. That kind of irritates me. THey gave me 2 choices, a siemens s66 and a motorola v551. I chose the siemens, since i had terrible service with motorolas (v400) in the past. Will the siemens have comprable RF performance or should i picked the v551.

I was hoping to have the same phone, even if it was a reconditioned model.
    The CS rep told me that cingular is not selling or exchanging the 6230 because of the "freeze" issue. I wonder if i had went thru nokia if they would have sent me a 6230- or are all of the 6230's screwed up.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Cingular may not have any 6230 that were manufactured prior to June 05 or they don't want the risk of giving another bad one.

Nokia is still selling them so it's quite possible they would have replaced yours with another 6230, why don't you give them a call before you send yours back to Cingular.

All the 6230's are not "screwed up" and certainly none that I know of from the pre ENS time. Even according to Congular only 1% of the new one's have the problem.

There are a number of us on the board that are very happy and satisfied owners of 6230 with mfg. dates ranging from 09/04 - 04/05. It is a great phone and too bad something went wrong with the new version.

Here is Nokis's Contact information, hope it will help.

Nokia Customer Care at 1-888-NOKIA-2U (1-888-665-4228).
    Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. EST.
    Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST.

Hopefully you can get yours replaced with another 6230 from Nokia.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What will happen if Nokia will replace mine, but then i have the replacement phone coming from Cingular. Is there anyway i can tell them to keep it instead?

If i do have to take what cingular sends me was the Siemens s66 a good choice or was the Moto v551 a better phone?

Thanks again for all the help.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am guessing that if you don't want the phone from Cingular and they have already sent it out, you can return the phone to them and say you changed your mind because you really want a 6230. If they haven't sent it out I think you can cancel the request.

I am not qualified to give you a recommendation between those 2 phones since I have never owned or used a Siemen's phone. I have a V600 also, and although I prefer the 6230 over the 600 any day, the V600 is an excellent phone. There are a few V551 owners on the board, I know viewfly is familiar with one and Fire14 is using one, may they or someone else can help you on that.

Here is a comparison from Phonescoop, see if it helps: s66 and V551

PS: Not sure if it is important to you but the V551 is a quad band and the s66 a tri.

11. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Okay, Just talked to Nokia.. they will fix the phone, i just have to send it in to them. I then called cingular to see if i could cancel the replacement phone they are sending out. They told me i would have to wait until i recieve the phone, then fill out some form in the box and return it.

Is the siemens s66 phone any good compared with the Nokia 6230?

Thanks again

12. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well that's good to hear. I was reading on HoFo that Nokia didn't know how to fix this new bug so Cingular pulled all the recent 6230's. The V551 is a good phone, but it is no 6230! As Charylee said, the old ones work just fine, only the newer ones seem to have the problem. This is why Cing will not give you a new 6230.

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am definitely not the right person to answer this. I my opinion I have never owned a phone as good as the 6230 but that's just my opinion... :)

14. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So, if Nokia doesn't know how to fix the problem, what will they do with my phone when i send it in? Will they give me a different model? or one that doesnt have the problem.

15. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    They might have figured out a fix and will update the software, or give you a completely new unit, maybe made before the problem happened.
    As for the Siemens vs the Moto, I never cared for the Siemens so I haven't had one in a few years, but the V551 has been good to me, almost at par with the Nokia's on Rf & it hasn't given me a problem yet, and others I know with it are happy as well.
    But I would do what Cingular suggested, return the phone the day you get it & send it with Delivery confirmation & or Signature confirmation so there are no problems down the road on them saying they didn't get it & send your phone to Nokia, to have it upgraded or whatever to get it fixed, alot of people like that phone & are real happy with it.

16. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think i will just send the phone into Nokia and send the replacement Siemens phone from Cingular back to them.

Has anyone else had any luck with sending their phones into Nokia to be serviced?

17. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have never had to, but people have said it's a decent turn around time, again send it Signature/Delivery Confirmation just so you can track the delivery & see when they got it.

18. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks, thats a good idea

19. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes, I mean the v551 is a good phone for RF and audio, and a better camera or screen. I just mean the extra features of the 6230, like FM radio and so on.

I returned an old TMDA phone to Nokia, it turned around within a week.

viewfly

Charylee, I like the new colour avatar! Classic and with style

20. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    when i had a motorola flip (v400) it seemed to drop calls right and left and the audio wasn't all that great. That made me reluctant to accept a v551 as a replacement for the 6230.

21. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I had the same problem with my V400, in fact someone is borrowing it right now & it still is doing the same thing to him, once I get it back I intend to flash it to a newer software.
    As for going with the V551, after people have had it for a while along with the V505 & were happy with it & no problems to really talk about (they did have some with a software problem, but fixed it fast or so I am told), I have had mine for 5+ months now & haven't had any problems with it, audio Rf & such have been very good to great, but you still can't beat a Nokia, in fact this is the 1st real problem I have heard about them in a long time.

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I think you made the right choice, like Fire said this is the only problem, Nokia has had for a long time. If they can repair yours or send you a working replacement, you will have an excellent phone and will be very happy with its's performance.

Good luck on getting everything sorted out to your satisfaction.

Please do keep us posted on the outcome.

23. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So is the RF quality in the new motorola models (v635, razr, etc) on par with nokias? This is something i have been wondering for quite some time.

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The RF on my Nokia is much better than the RF on my V600. I live in a fringe area so every little bit counts for me. I have been told that the V635 is the same as the V600 except for the video etc.

25. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not to beat a dead horse, but i remember reading a CNET review (i believe) that said the Moto V3 Razr's had really good RF. Is that true? Has anyone compared the Razr's with the Nokia 6230's RF? I was just curious.

26. rhapsodyosx

My Phone:
    Moto V635
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have one more question. I remember the Cingular rep telling me that Nokia had not found a "fix" to this issue. Will Nokia give me a different phone then if they aren't able to fix it? Does the 6230i suffer the same affliction that my 6230 does (or was it fixed).

Thanks

27. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The 6230i hasn't been introduced in the US yet, but I am sure if there is a problem with the 1st 6230 they will make sure it's corrected in the new phone.
    I went into my local Cingular store yesterday & they still had the 6230's on display & in stock, I didn't get a chance to ask about the recall & if there phones were newer or older stock.
    As for Nokia giving you a different phone if they don't have a fix, I don't think it will be an issue as I am sure they have found a fix for it already, maybe the older software version was stable & they added an upgrade & that is what started the problem with the newer ENS phones, it's hard to say without someone working for Nokia to give the facts.

It all depends on where you live & how the coverage is to give an answer to this, if you had issues with the V600 and it's because your on a fringe area like Charlyee is, then stick with the Nokia, as coverage improves with more towers then the Moto may cover you better, I know here in NJ the coverage has been getting better & that may be why I see an "almost" even or close to even Rf on my Moto as the Nokia, I just know when I loose the signal on my Moto, the Nokia isn't far behind, just a little better before I loose the signal.