Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

6126: Importing Contacts from 3120?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by NoBite, Feb 19, 2008.

1. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Was AT&T - now Cingular - oops, now AT&T again.
    I figured this would be as simple as using the SIM card from my 3120 in my new 6126. Wrong! The new phone did not recognize the 3120 SIM card. Since the 3120 is now deactivated and did not have bluetooth anyway, does anyone know a way I can import the Contacts from that phone into my new 6126?

Frankly, I thought this was that appeal of SIM cards! Ha! Keep the same manufacturer and provider and just swap cards. What am I missing here!!!?

2. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    With GSM, phones don't really get "deactivated". It is the SIM card that is deactivated if you have at&t change your account information to the new SIM card (i.e. "activate" a new SIM card). Only one SIM can be active on each line of service.

Is your old SIM still usable if you put it back in the 3120? If it's not, then it has been deactivated.

If you have a data cable for the 3120, you can use PC Suite to back up your contacts off the 3120 and then bluetooth or a data cable to send the contacts to the 6126. Another thought - although it would be tedious and time consuming if you have many contacts - with the active SIM in the 3120 send each contact's business card via text or MMS to an e-mail account (or to another phone that is not your own), then move the active SIM to the 6126 and send the business card back to your own phone number.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's

yes this is the point of a sim card, but with a little work.

put your working sim card back into your 3120, whatever sim card that is going into the 6126.

turn on the 3120, you will notice it still works. now go into your contacts and go into the options/menu scroll down to where it says copy, and choose from phone to sim card. select all. and merge.

for that model it may vary slightly from my instructions but it is the basic method. that is how you can transfer everything you need.

once youve accomplished this take your sim card back out and drop it into your 6126 again and your rolling

4. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Or....you can do it the easy way as Eric suggests. :p Thanks Eric. Apparently I didn't get enough coffee this a.m.. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    That is provided the contacts were on the 3120 and not just on his SIM, right?

NoBite. together with what Eric said it needs a little preplanning also. What I usually do is copy all the contacts from my old phone to the SIM card, put the old SIM card in the new phone and copy the contacts from the SIM into the new phone, before a new SIM card is activated which will automatically deactivate the old SIM card.

6. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea exactly Charlyee. i was assuming that all his contacts remained on his 3120 sheerly off of the fact that he said he was unable to track them down when he switched his card into his new phone. also as a default nokias always save to the phone and dont give you a choice unless you ask it to ask you everytime you add a contact.

good point though.

7. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks for all replies. Eric really nailed it for me! I was able to follow your directions exactly while waiting for my turn in the AT&T store. By the time I was "on the clock" I nearly had everything done. It worked very well, Eric.

Glad to have learned this method with my phone. Tomorrow I will do the same with my wife's phone. Should be a snap.

One difference, and I like it, between the 3120 and the 6126 is that the 6126 considers each entry type (cell, home, work) for one person to be a separate Contact in the Address Book. Perhaps it could have been set up that way with the 3120 as well. But, there I had a Contact entered one time and then in that Contact's details I might have had up to 3 different phone numbers, with one of them set up as the primary number. That makes sense, too, but now I can easily select among them in the Address Book.

Guys, you are the best!! Thanks, again, for the help!

8. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I believe this is a function of using the SIM to transfer contact data between the phones rather than it being a difference between how the two phones store the contact data that is created on them.

When contacts are stored to the SIM, a separate contact is made for each phone number. If you had transferred contacts via Nokia PC Suite, for example, the detail structure would have been kept intact and only associated with the one contact entry on the 6126 as well. If you create a new contact on your 6126 and add multiple phone numbers to it, it will all be within the one contact entry. If you had any non-numeric contact data (address, e-mail addy, etc.), you should see that it was not transferred to the 6126, as SIMs only store numeric contact data.

9. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Now that I have had a moment to see the phone in action, I have another, related question.

When you have an image and a tone assigned to a Contact, how should you expect that data to be used?

IOW, when I receive a call from that Contact, should I expect the assigned ring tone to be played? Should I expect to see the assigned photo pop up when I receive a call from that Contact and/or make a call to that Contact?

Those were my expectations, but in reality, that is not what is happening. I received a call from such a contact and the ring tone was the default ring tone for all calls. I placed a call to a contact with a cell phone number and a land line number stored in my Contacts. When I placed a call to the cell number, no photo appeared on my screen during the placement of the call or during the call. When I called the same person's land line, a small version of the photo attached to that Contact appeared BRIEFLY on my screen as the call was ringing and then disappeared as the phone was answered.

I should tell you that I had moved all Contacts to being stored on the phone, not the SIM card, if that makes any difference to this conversation.

Probably something very simple at play here. I'm too simple to figure it out, I guess!

10. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    If I receive a call from a number in my contacts to which I've assigned an image, the image is shown while my phone is ringing. If I place a call to that number, the image is not shown while the call is being placed, but a thumbnail appears in my address book (based on my contact settings) that makes it easier to ensure I am choosing the correct contact.

Regarding ringtones assigned to an individual contact/number - check to make sure you don't have the number assigned to two different contact names (i.e. "home" and "Mary"). This seems to confuse the phone so that it simply plays the default ringtone when you receive a call from that number.

You do have to have contacts stored on the phone in order to assign ringtones or images to your contact entries.

11. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Great! Okay, I DO have the same image and tone assigned to two different contacts. So, I have just remedied that. For instance, my wife has her cell phone and a work number. I assigned her photo and a particular tone to both. I just deleted that tone and picture from her work number. Now I can test to see if it makes a difference! I will let you know.

12. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hmmm. Still not right. I used my wife's cell phone to call my cell phone. My phone used the default ring tone, not the one assigned to my wife's cell phone number.

I did notice that on my wife's phone a little thumbnail picture of me appeared in the screen as I dialed my cell phone number. I had attached that picture to my Contact in her phone. So that worked on her phone.

13. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Okay, I did not read your information closely enough. I mistakenly thought you meant you couldn't have the ring tone or photo assigned to two different contacts. But, that is NOT what you said. You said don't have the same phone number assigned to two different names.

I did that! I had my wife's cell phone assigned to her name AND to my I C E contact. Darn. I really would like my wife's cell phone to be the emergency number someone called if I was found hurt and unable to speak.

14. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Create an ICE group and put your wife's contact into the group.

15. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    dmapr - I bow down to the sensei of cell phones! :cool2:

Mission Accomplished.

Thanks once again. Hey, I'm starting to like this phone. But, look out now as I unwrap the JAWBONE and begin the learning process.

16. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Thanks! :) Here's hoping you become the sensei of BT headsets ;)