Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

*611 on verizon phones is it free?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Xplicit, Mar 6, 2003.

1. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

No, I won't praise Sprint CS. I'll just say that *2 is a free call, but teh CS people, well, it's basically a crapshoot over whether you'll get someone at any particular time who can help you. It has started to improve, but the inconsistencies from person to person are annoying, to say the least. It befuddles me that they can't have everybody on the same page.

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But it isn't without a difference. *4 and *2 combined are the equiv. of *611 for Verizon. I think it is totally bogus for Sprint to charge airtime for *4, but that's they way it goes. I don't think *611 option 1 (VZ Serve) really qualifies as customer service, because I don't get to talk to anyone. If I have a billing problem I have to speak to someone, that is customer service. *611 option 1 is Verizon's *4, except it is (supposed to be) free or airtime usage.

Automated systems are a customer service, but they are not customer service. I think the "a" in there is a really important distinction, even if it is only semantics.

3. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Sorry, that was my mistake. I just edited that out of my previous post. However, the issue remains.

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Same deal with Verizon. Frustrating as heck.

5. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    OK. I'll buy that. However, I wouldn't say that Verizon's *611 is the equivalent of Sprint's *2 and *4 -- remember that Verizon has #646, which is the equivament of *4, and is airtime-free.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    True, forgot about the #626 (I NEVER use it!), but if I recall correctly you can also use Sprint's *2 to get airtime info, it just takes longer. Or have they totally done away with that in favor of *4?

Also, yeah it is weird calling everyone by their userid, but unles your name is "Mreg" I don't know what else to do. At least most people should be able to figure out my name if they put a little thought into it [​IMG]

7. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    With that I'll have to disagree. Here in NYC I get a Verizon live rep on the phone in under a minute. With Sprint it could often be 15 minutes.

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh yeah, the wait time is a lot less with Verizon than Sprint, but from one rep to another you can get differences like night and day. That's what I was referring to. The wait time is nto an iussue with Verizon, but the inconsistencies are.

9. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well, Anthro, be sure not to use #626, since it's #646.[​IMG]

When you call Sprint's *2, the first thing that the recorded voice tells you is to call *4 for minutes used. Of course if you hang on long enough to speak to a live rep I suppose they'll give you your minutes, although it's clear they don't want to spend time doing that.

10. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    But it's easier to go through several when they get on in a few seconds...

11. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just got my bill today, no billing for *611 on my bill. Must have been a one month screw-up in the billing computers. The dang thing is still so confusing, I don't think I will ever learn how to read my bill. I guess I better get my PhD, because my masters degree won't cut it when it comes to deciphering that thing. As long as my bill is the same every month I just pay it and accept it as correct. not good, eh?

12. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well, if it's the same every month that probably means you're staying within your plan, so what's so bad? Believe it or not, after dealing with Sprint I find Verizon's bill to be pleasantly simple (and accurate), with lots of additional detail, if you want it, available through the online account system. Have you tried that?

13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It's just bad I can't figure out the thing. The way my bills looked when I was in Florida were very nice and easy to read and understand. The billing system in Ohio stinks. They need to get the Florida billing system going up here. The only advantage to the Ohio system is that all my calls are on the bill, whereas in Florida the only way to see call detail was through the online service.

Here I am on the AC family share plan and it charges each line the exact same amount, then adds other fees and credits that make it the same as if one line was 39.99 and the other 20. I don't know why they can't just do that in the first place. [​IMG]

14. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

Many companies aren't letting new customers or customers who switch plans get detailed bills at all without an extra monthly fee anymore. It seems to be the trend now that detailed bills can only be viewed freely online.

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is very true. A couple years ago or so, when I had Sprint, suddenly the call detail was gone from my bill. I called to complain and was told I was in a "test-market" for a simplified billing system and that no changes were possible until the testing ended. Once this test period ended they wanted to charge me extra money to go back to detailed billing.

16. Xplicit

Xplicit Member

I dont think you get charged for *611, I called the other day and was on for 10 minutes talking to CS and the next day i checked my minutes over the phone and the 10 minutes wasnt added on. Whats the difference between *611 and *646 ??????

17. mreg

mreg Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM-9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    #646 is an automated system on VZW that allows you to quickly check your minutes, and maybe do some other stuff, although I've only used it for minutes. It's also free of airtime. You'll also see it referred to as #MIN.

18. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I know Cingular does not use anytime minutes when you call CS either via 611 or the toll free 800 number.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. josepho

josepho Junior Member

Not being from the US I have obviously never called any CS. However, one thing that does confuse me is: can you just dial 611 or must it be preceded with a star (*611)?

If you can just dial 611 why on earth would anyone put the extra star?

20. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Because we are told to press the *

It is what The Man wants us to do. Why question it? [​IMG]