Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

5 weeks with the Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Airb330, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think Verizon is very overrated. One cell phone tower in a town of 20,000 residents and 20,000 University of Delaware students in 2003 will always instill some doubt in me in their network planning abilities. :rolleyes:

However, I sort of need them for work purposes and am now allowed to pick my work phones. So...that leaves me with Verizon and the iPhone. I did have a choice of at&t, and I pretty much had no issues with at&t in years past until I had the iPhone 3G. That thing dropped calls constantly. My friends with at&t and the iPhone still drop calls today, though the iPhone 4 seems to be an improvement. So I wasn't thrilled with that idea. Verizon also gives a bigger discount.

After 5 weeks with the Verizon iPhone I am extremely impressed. The battery life is amazing, not Blackberry good, but great for a touchscreen and especially for CDMA. I have not dropped a call on it yet. I think this has to do with it having a Qualcomm chip. I fully expect the iPhone 5 on at&t to be pretty decent, since it will likely use this chip. The infineon chips in previous GSM iPhones were terrible! Data speeds, generally, have been much faster than Sprint. Perhaps it has to do with the fact most of this area has LTE, so 3G was improved with fiber backhaul. That said, I still have 1X only service too often in NYC buildings and various locales in south NJ.

I am still disappointed with Verizon in Delaware. I don't think they've added any towers since I left them in 2004 on my personal line. I've had a work phone through them since 2007 and I just never see improvements in weak areas. I get no 3G in my house much to my annoyance considering my work blackberry had 3G. It appears 3G service is now on PCS frequencies. My stepdad's phone confirmed 0-1 bar of EVDO while voice had 3-4. My tower has also been down 2 times so far. Luckily Verizon does want my business, and really doesn't want to irritate the state of Delaware and its contract, so they sent me a network extender. Customer service has been very good. Hopefully I'll have a new job when my contract is up and I'll probably move back to at&t...they'll have T-Mobile towers, HSPA+/LTE, and the GSM iPhones will use better chips by then. But for now, at least I don't drop calls and I hardly pay for it since work reimburses me for a majority of the bill. :D

2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Glad to hear your enjoying your ne iPhone 4 on Verizon :)

I just bought a iPhone 4 32GB today for Verizon, sick of at&t's slow data speeds around here.

Should have it tomorrow! Time to sell my iPhone 4 on at&t :)