Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

5 days until the Verizon trial ends

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Jackstar, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Jackstar

Jackstar Junior Member

First, I'd like to say that you guys on this website really seem to know wireless. I work for a wireless /land-line provider and it feels good to see that I still have a lot to learn!

Any new comments on Verizon, especially based in Denver? I am ten days into my 15 day trial period. I decided to start with the Nokia 3285 but am seriously thinking that the Motorola 120c may be a better phone. Overall call quality is most important, but I like the versatility of the Nokia in regards to different profiles and ringer selection(can assign different tones to up to 20 different phone book callers). It doesn't hurt that all my old accesories from the 6185 and 5170 work for this handset too.

After several calls to customer service and web research, it sounds as if the signal on the Motorola handsets may be better than Nokia for the Verizon system here. I have yet to drop a call with my Nokia handset, but I have had a few unclear calls (only one was long distance), plus the signal meter seems to be lower in many areas compared to the Qwest service I have previously had (Kyocera 3035).

As happened to at least one other user, I was lied to by Radio Shack. They said that for 35.00 a month, I could receive the National Single Rate with 500 peak and 2000 evening/weekend minutes. Even as I showed the Radio Shack guy the pamphlet with the actual terms (150 weekday and 3350 weekend; no evening minutes available), he insisted that the terms were as he stated. He did eventually admit that he was wrong. I cancelled the next day and started service at the Verizon Wireless store. They seemed knowledgable, but seem to be unreachable by phone after the sale. Heard VZW has big billing problems?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Jackstar and welcome. You've got my curiosity up as to which carrier you work for.

Billing Issues: I wouldn't quite say that Verizon has "big" billing problems. My observation with my relatives was that the bill showed frequent "roaming" charges when, in fact, they were not roaming. Verizon in my case, handled the billing correctly, but made errors with service activation that kept posing problems with my trying to dial out. Since I am used to ATT's service, I became anxious about the trial period and every problem I had with them (which would have been ironed out sooner or later) became critical because of the decision timeline factor.

If you intend to stay with them and watch your billing, it shouldn't be a "big" deal. After a while, they will see that you are an educated user and the billing problems (if there are any) will clear up.

Phone: I agree with you that the V120 is probably better than the 3285.

Kevin[​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Your phone choice is pretty much a personal decision based on menus and form factor. Verizon coverage in Denver is unbeatable. They have upgraded many areas in the last 18 months, including 3 sites on my commute from Littleton. Coverage usually does not depend on the phone model.

The guys at the Verizon store in the Tech Center have been very helpful, including replacing my phone that I broke in last Spring's hail storm. There have been a few billing 'quirks', like I got pro-rated $8 when i changed my billing date, but they credited that. I would say Verizon's billing and customer service is second to none. When I call about something I think is amiss, they have always decided in my favor.

I use a Motorola, my wife uses Nokia. We are both happy. AT&T coverage isn't as good. And if you want to appreciate Verizon's customer service, just sign up for Sprint, Qwest or Voicestream. If nothing else, Verizon answers within a minute or 2. Those 3 never do.

-Bill Radio
    -www.mountainwireless.com

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I personally think that Sprint has made huge strides recently regarding customer service. I dont feel such blanket negative statement apply so well anymore. People have negative experiences and then continue to assume that the company is never going to improve and that everyone else will have the same problems also. It is a common assumption but ignorant nonetheless.

G.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I have also found Verizon to have excellent customer service. They are friendly, easy to reach, and accommodating. My Nokia 5185 however, has problems. I can't seem to keep the battery charged (I am in a mostly analog area) and where we live the phone mostly does not find service at all. We do live in the mountains north of Boise, ID. Verizon is reportedly the only company that even services that particular area (I know AT&T doesn't nor does Quest). But we have found that we can't connect at all in most of our area. Maybe I should try a CB radio.