Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

4G LTE Within Reach Now

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by bz2busy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. bz2busy

bz2busy New Member

I'm on the coverage border at my rural home. I'll be installing an antenna/booster/distributor system to maximize the new 4G signal (TX & RX). The early research I've done so far has raised more questions than answers, so I need help.
    1) Verizon mostly operates 4G on a 750Mhz carrier, but not exclusively. YAGI antenna and amplifiers have a very narrow frequency operating band. How can I determine the frequency used on the towers closest to me?
    2) Since 4G was recently added in our "area" who can I contact at verizon to identify which towers now have 4G capabilities? I can find coverage maps and cell tower locations, but nobody is publishing which towers are 4G active. I need to point my YAGI toward the closest.

Let's start with these questions, then drill down to system/component level.

Thanks for the help!

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Unfortunately, they're probably not willing to share that kind of information at this point. You will probably just have to slowly rotate the antenna until you get the best signal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bz2busy

bz2busy New Member

You're probably right. It's more about antenna location on my house. I've read that you shouldn't shoot shoot over the dwelling (intereference issues with rest of the amp/distributor system).

What about carrier frequency? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Verizon Wireless's big purchase of six licenses of 700 MHz Upper C Block gives them nationwide coverage with 22 MHz bandwidth. Specifically, that is 746-757 MHz for uplink, and 776-787 MHz for the downlink (cell site to handset).

Just to give a feel for what used to be there, here are TV channnel numbers and frequencies:

60 746-752 MHz
    61 752-758 MHz
    65 776-782 MHz
    66 782-788 MHz

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bz2busy

bz2busy New Member

Great information! Thank you. Let look into what the older analog frequecies were for WZZM (13), WXMI (17) & WOTV (8) and I will post.

6. Verizonftw

Verizonftw New Member

My Phone:
    Sharp kin onem
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    i need help learning how to identify LTE panels. both vzw and at&t

7. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Where do you live in Michigan? I live in northeast lower MI, but no 4G around here for awhile.

8. bz2busy

bz2busy New Member

I live just south or Grand Rapids. 4G was just added for the GR, Lansing & Kalamazoo regions.

9. bz2busy

bz2busy New Member

I looked at he North American standards for these channels, but as posted earlier, Verizon is in the channel 60 - 66 range.

10. bz2busy

bz2busy New Member

I finally reached a tech at Verizon. He was very helpful. I now know that the closest 4G tower is 8mi NorthWest of my home and they broadcast 4G on 700Mhz carrier.

Now to select a Yagi antenna, amplifier and pad antenna for our home network extender system.

11. bz2busy

bz2busy New Member

I took the leap to upgrade our USB modem to the Pantech UML290 (free after rebate and 2-yr subscription renewal). We were due for a hardware update with the old Verizon USB760.

Old 3G performance (Speedtest.net)
    11/24/2011 Download = 0.99 Mb/s; Upload = 0.43 Mb/s; Ping = 115 ms

Out of the box 4G LTE USB Modem only, (no antenna, booster amplifier etc.)
    12/18/2011 Download = 4.82 Mb/s; Upload = 2.64 Mb/s; Ping = 85 ms

I should add that in both tests, the 4G LTE modem is connected to our Cradlepoint MBR900 wireless router. Also we are within what Verizon considers their extended network. awe only get about 50% signal strength. I will get the actual db (or dbi) value later.

BZ

12. pgrommesh

pgrommesh New Member

let me know how that turns out with improving your signal. I also live in their extended network and it is my only home internet. I must be a bit farther than you, since I can only hold a connection if I go out in my field and am looking to put something on my roof so that I can have faster internet. I'll check back and good luck. :D