Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

$400 deposit to set up service with Verizon?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by mainfraim, Dec 29, 2001.

1. mainfraim

mainfraim New Member

I just tried to order Verizon with a Motorola v60c and they want $400
    deposit to do it over the phone. I'm 18 and haven't really used credit before, so they
    want me to sign over my life to them so that they will give me my phone.
    Anyone have any ideas or comments? I'd like to order the service, but I
    don't want to give them that much money. We went to the store originally and the rep. knew that I was 18 and didn't say anything about there being a deposit, but we couldn't do it at the local store because I needed an area coded number that the local store couldn't give me.

thanks
    ::mainfraim::

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I've never heard of someone charging that much. I have heard of deposits before, but they should be a lot less than $400. I would say, try a different company or a different store.

3. erub

erub Junior Member

that phone costs the service provider probably $500 or more. They are just trying to cover their ___...if you can't afford it, try going with a lower priced phone for now and after you prove to them for 6 months or so that you will pay your bill, they might upgrade you.

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Mainfraim,

Though you are legally considered an adult, you have yet to establish credit. For those in your situation, a deposit such as this is required to protect the carrier against defaulting on your service. (Inexperienced youth tend to overspend and then can't make their payment. In the same vein, Credit card companies solistiing college students has been discussed on 20-20 or 60-minutes. It is a two-edged sword of a problem -- Young adults want all the freedoms of decision making and credit card companies preying upon inexperienced people.)

To overcome the wireless service deposit issue, some parents have been willing to co-sign (yes, just like with buying a car) for their child's cellphone account, thus waiving that fee. In actuality what happens is the parent opens the account in their own name with your name appearing on the bill as well. (At least, it is done on ATT Wireless that way.) In one situation I know of, the father started service for his daughter. She paid the monthly bill from her own checking account. After a year of doing this, she spoke to ATT about getting the account in her own name. ATT was satisfied with the proof from the year of paying and waived any transfer of account issues.

Now, I know you said you wanted service with Verizon, so check with them and see if they have a similar arrangement. That way you can get the phone you want without having to put up that large deposit.

Kevin

5. mainfraim

mainfraim New Member

Thanks for the info. The phone doesn't make the deposit any higher. Because the phone is so much they just make you pay for it outright when you set up the account. The deposit is because of lack of credit. Even if my parents sign up, I think their credit makes a $150 deposit needed. It looks like I'll just stick with my AT&T account that gets no reception :( . Ha ha. Oh well.

Thanks again

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    That $150 deposit is news to me. When I started service with Verizon I merely presented my credit card for the phone. There was no deposit required.

7. mainfraim

mainfraim New Member

Did they do a credit check?

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    If your parents are conducive to the idea, have them take you to a Verizon store and see what happens. Be frank with the store and make sure they know that the phone is going to be yours and ask how soon you can put the account in your name. If nothing else, you'll see what your options are. As sad as it is, age discrimination (even subconsciously) is alive and well. The store personnel you spoke to earlier might have a preconceived idea as to the "ideal subscriber" and teens may not fit that ideal image.

You did mention one thing that caused my eyebrowse to raise: You gave me the impression you can't afford the cost of the V60. If that is the issue and not the deposit, then I agree with the above poster that recommended you get a cheaper phone and wait until you are in better financial situation. My experience is that I have upgraded approx every 2 years. The technology is changing so fast that this month's phones will be old news within a few months. Within the next 12 months, from what I am reading, some major handset enhancements will be available. 3G will become more prominent and you'll be very sorry you spent so much money on a phone that isn't even nearly as fancy as what will be available.

Sorry if I sound too much like a dead-beat adult.

9. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well there is another option if you really want service through Verizon and thats pre-pay. Granted pre-pay is higher per minute but you don't have to sign a contract or have any sort of credit to get it. Verizon's pre-pay service is called Free Up you can check it out at the link below:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash/freeup/splash.html

10. mainfraim

mainfraim New Member

I have the money for the V60, that's not the issue, but I don't want to pay for the phone AND the deposit. That's too much. We did go to the store but I had to get an area coded number that they wouldn't offer so I had to do it over the phone. Oh well...

::mainfraim::

11. DiverDown

DiverDown Member

1. Get your parents to get the contract under there name, then have you on the account under them with full access to plan changes. Basically its the same as if you had it, just the bill comes under there name.

2. If your in College get the American Express for students and start charging a small amount per month and pay it in full, within a year no one will ever ask you for that credit problem again. Even if you just charged like $200 dollars a month.

12. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Now this has got to be a first! DiverDown and I agree on something.