Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

3G Expansions?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by nick2588, Aug 9, 2007.

1. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Anyone know the status on Sprint building out it's existing 3G EV-DO mobile broadband? I'm moving to an area with good Sprint coverage, but it's just digital voice not EV-DO broadband data coverage. At least according to the coverage maps on the website, there are no upgrades slated for the area.

I recently enjoyed some new Sprint with EV-DO coverage in central Utah, but that was in an area without any Sprint coverage where a tower was added, not an area with good existing coverage to be converted to 3G. Is there a difference? Logically, it makes sense to think that adding new sites (where no coverage is) would be more important than upgrading existing sites. I've heard that Sprint is moving to 4G WiMAX, so does that mean they will be more reluctant to upgrade older areas until 4G is available? I guess I'm just wondering if there is any reason to think that Sprint will upgrade my area with mobile broadband of some sort.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ha, I emailed Sprint (always an adventure) about when my area would get EV-DO mobile broadband and this was their response. Note that the rep didn't change/fill in the email template. It's also worth mentioning that my billing address is not the area when I was asking about coverage upgrades, so even if he had filled it in this is completely irrelevant.

So I wrote to them asking basically "I noticed that my area doesn't have EV-DO and isn't slated for any new towers or upgrades in the next 120 days according to your website. I'd like to request that you upgrade my area with mobile broadband.". I did not ask for credit or compensation; I wasn't even mad. I was just wondering when they might upgrade the area. And they respond by giving me a $25 credit. It just makes me mad. If they can really afford to throw $25 at everyone who asks when their coverage will be improved, why does their coverage need improvement? :loony: They should take that $25 and put it towards upgrades or building new towers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    COOL! Im emailing them to complain about coverage!

4. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Where will you be moving to?

5. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Surprisingly, someone did call me as promised in the email template. He was very surprised to hear that I was having coverage problems at my billing address. I told them I wasn't (I get all bars and EVDO) but that I was moving and actually looking at EVDO in the Cache Valley area. His response was "Well there is no EVDO coverage there". Uhm duh? That was the point of my email, all I wanted was to put in a request for it to be built in the future and let you know there is demand in the area. He assured me that Sprint was constantly working to improve coverage and building new towers every month, blah blah, and he promised that EVDO coverage would be built out in that area at some point in the future. It will probably be at least a year or more, but I guess I'm contented to know they are still building it out.

6. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Cache Valley was previously a Ubiquitel partners area so it should be receiving EVDO soon.

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.............those partner and affiliate areas seem to be slow on the uptake when it comes to EV upgrades

8. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    EVDO has been a tremendous capital outlay that the affiliates have a hard time mustering up.

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.....................i love EV-DO <3

EDIT: wow that was a waste of a post so ill ask this............are you saying that affiliates are slow with the whole EV-DO thing cuz of the money?

10. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Yes. For most of them the short term outlay versus the long term profit doesn't balance. Most areas covered by affiliates are not clamoring for the EVDO coverage like the metro areas do.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well that just sucks for people out in the boonies

12. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Capitalism at it's finest.

13. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hooray for moving to an area without EVDO and with poor digital voice coverage that isn't even close to the maps. Having no service in my living room and not being able to make calls at night because "Unknown error" or "Network is busy" would definitely not be considered "Great" coverage to me. It's like I win twice! :p

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    wow............network is busy? havent gotten that one in a long time........................maybe on new years eve............but thats about it

15. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Something is definitely going on and I'm kind of getting sick of it. Sprint's network was having major problems in this area again yesterday. I couldn't place calls or use text messaging even in 5- or 6-bar locations. I went into the local Sprint store and there were five other people ahead of me, all having the same problem. The employees confirmed they were having network issues and that they needed more towers, blah blah blah, same old story. I went to Sprint's coverage website again to look for new towers, expecting there to be none, but instead I found this updated coverage map. Apparently the valley has been built out with 3G within the last two weeks, well, minus that triangle area covering Logan and pretty much all of the valley's population. Yeah, right. You're not fooling me, Sprint. Just because you make the coverage maps look better, doesn't mean that you've actually improved the coverage. All I can say is that I hope the increased frequency and severity of the network problems is related to upgrades/fixes being done rather than a lack thereof.

Attached Files:

16. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nick I am sorry to hear about your problems you know when I was up in logan and I was up there alot. I did have trouble with Sprint well my brother had it and he hated it enough he paid the etf and got verizon. Man what a difference that made for him. By the way you enjoying life up there?

17. xchpstang

xchpstang New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola ic902
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I live in an ex Ubiquitel area and I personally think coverage has improved by leaps and bounds in the last 2-3 years. They did deploy EVDO within the last 3 weeks and it's awesome as it now trumps Verizon EVDO and ATT 3G coverage. As far as voice I went from using roaming regularly in some areas to not remembering the last time I roamed in the last 6 months. So even though it was an affiliate market I still think they will get the latest and greatest coverage eventually.

18. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    the disappointing thing is that Sprint is completely upgrading some areas to the latest and other areas are getting no attention at all............some affiliates are still stuck without 1X and they even show up as "Digital Roaming" on some displays still......................i know that here in my area we have been completely upgraded to Rev A for miles around..............but i feel bad for areas like iPCS that arent getting anything:(

19. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I am sure that the map is wrong in leaving out the actually city of Logan when it comes to the EVDO upgrades, unless Sprint is intentionally not yet upgrading the city's towers to EVDO because they don't have the resources to allocate to EVDO since they are already overloaded in Logan.

20. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, actually the map is wrong because none of the area has EVDO. The outlying towns indicated in that screenshot didn't have EVDO as of 9/8/07, anyway.

There is no doubt in my mind that the existing Sprint towers in Logan are overloaded, however, so not having enough available resources for EVDO is also highly likely.

21. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah............they might have to add things to the tower to provide more room and such before they even consider faster data traffic...............that seems to happen a lot in the areas where Nextel is rebanded.............data is extra slow DC never stays connected and calls being blocked and dropped...........it sucks

22. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Further's my longstanding opinion that Sprint sucks and I will never carry a Sprint device again.

23. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    That's hilarius and sad all at the same time :lmao: I'd stop paying my bill and when Sprint starts writing me asking where their money is I'd reply:

Dear (insert name of comapny),

I can understand your concern over my lack of payment. My bill payments are very important to me, and I fully intend to pay my (insert name of company) bill in the very near future. Meanwhile, go eat an ice-cream and relax.

Yours Truly,
    Concerned Bill Payer

Coverage maps are made on a computer simulation tool and don't always reflect whats actually on-air. Maybe the map you saw includes sites they plan to put on air soon :confused:

24. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hmm, I'm still very disappointed with Sprint's lack of data services. Even 1x data sucks here (switching to Verizon's 1x feels like I'm using EVDO again because I haven't had anything decent for so long). The coverage maps still show high speed 3G coverage here and there definitely isn't any.

The funny thing is that I drove past a billboard in Smithfield yesterday advertising Sprint's new and improved high-speed data network expansions that have been completed. I pulled off the road and went into the Subway sandwich shop directly across the street from the billboard. There was no EVDO and 1x was still super crappy. Why do their advertisements and coverage maps show all of this EVDO coverage when it doesn't exist? It seems like a waste of money (and false advertising) to buy billboards saying "We have EVDO" when you don't.

25. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Well, it does not surprise me that 1x data sucks when their 1x network is overloaded.
    It is interesting that you are seeing all these billboards and but no EVDO. At the same time, though, I don't see how Sprint can deploy EVDO on those already overloaded towers, take away one carrier from voice and deploy it for EVDO data- I would think that the voice side would suffer even more if they activated EVDO...I'm no network engineer by any means, but that is my guess.

26. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I can't answer your question other than take a guess and say it's Sprint lousy marketing dept. who put that thing out by mistake too early. But if you get a chance I was wondering if you could take a picture of that billboard? I haven't seen any others like it and since I'm a Sprint fan I like to see these type of things. :) They have one out on the I-15 near Temecula touting "Sprint rules the Inland Empire" or something to that effect. :D I still want to snap a pic of that one as well.

Also in case anyone's interested Sprint has activated EV-DO Rev. A in nearly all of the former Ubiquitel affiliate, Central Valley, CA market including as far North as Redding and Mount Shasta. I got the alert for the Redding towers just the other day.

27. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

sprint is in trouble, on all fronts. That said, i have been surprisingly satisfied with the Rev.A service on my Novatel 720 here in VA and in FL. I'll test it in Boston next week.

28. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well the front to the consumer is simply the advertising....that is really alll that they can see they dont know all the technical problems that Sprint has been having witht the iDEN network but they feel it and they use advertising as a scapegoat..........there are really many fronts to a company especially one like Sprint because of the unique situation it is in......but the consumer goes on what they see.........and the different brand names on phones combined with the fact that Nextel isnt advertised anymore creates confusion and frustration to the consumer.........Sprint looks bad simply because the campaignin makes them look bad.........they are actually doing a good job but the bad from Nextel spreads out among the whole company like bleeding marker ink........thats what people see..........

29. chamb

chamb Junior Member

Yep, a company should look bigger and better than it really is. That is what will make customers flock to the company. A company that looks bad, even if it is not bad, will lose customers.

Apparently Sprint Management does not "Get it". They need to do things to make Sprint look good and bigger. People want to associate with a winner, not a loser.
    Rule # 1 -- Look bigger than you are. Failure to follow Rule # 1 will mean that you will start failing.

Sprint needs to do things that make it look like a leader and stop doing things that make it look like a guy trying to catch up to the rest of the pack. If you look sick, you probably have the flu.

30. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You have some good valid arguments and you know in the end though it is going to take some time to get back on their feet. I have no doubt that they will. People just need to be patient and learn this.