Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

3G Americas

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Malial, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    3G Americas

Just wondering where Sprint and Verizon are in this? What about CDMA representation?

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Interesting how most of Cingular is still TDMA.

3. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Well I think that this group is focused on providing "a framework to ensure the success of these technologies in the Americas." They also mention that "This new organization - bringing both major vendors and operators together - will enhance the prospects for wireless growth throughout the Americas as we move toward 3G wireless data services."

The technologies they're referring to are: GSM, TDMA, GPRS, EDGE, and UMTS

So it looks like they have a common goal centered around these 5 technologies. They don't care about the current CDMA carriers as they have a different technological "framework" for pursuing 3G.

4. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just thinks it's funny how they say, and I quote:

"Americas will be headquartered in Bellevue, Washington and represent the five principle wireless technologies of the Americas: GSM, TDMA, GPRS, EDGE, and UMTS. "

Seems they are overlooking that the number one provider and number three (Sprint still no. 3?) in the states are CDMA.

I understand their focus and goal...yeah GSM...but it just seems funny that CDMA is so commonly overlooked (and I'm sure this will open a can of worms) even though it has the most subscribers and is technically the better technology.

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Malial:

Kenny pretty much addressed your question already, but consider: Lets say you are a CDMA carrier. Already, your technology is more advanced than the consortium that is being formed. What interest would you have in listening and participating in discussions that have nothing to do with your current or future technologies?

I don't look at the consortium as ignoring or overlooking CDMA, but rather a focus-group addressing a transitional technology. CMDA carriers would have no interest and nothing of value to bring to table. And seeing as the consortium is both technically and marketably a competitor, why would they even want to help? Even when the consortium participants are ready to regroup and discuss conversion from GSM to w-CDMA, would you, as a CDMA2000 carrier, want your competitor to succeed by joining the forum and helping them convert?

-kev

6. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Kev & Kenny:

Of course you both are right. When I first skimmed through the article, I think I was hung up on the title "3G Americas" and got stuck thinking along the lines of an organization established to ensure that ALL of the Americas (meaning ALL technologies) moved to their 3G equivalents.

After reading your posts and re-reading the press release, of course all it is is another organization established to promote GSM and IT's evolution to 3G.

7. amphibian

amphibian Senior Member

<< Well I think that this group is focused on providing "a framework to ensure the success of these technologies in the Americas." They also mention that "This new organization - bringing both major vendors and operators together - will enhance the prospects for wireless growth throughout the Americas as we move toward 3G wireless data services."

The technologies they're referring to are: GSM, TDMA, GPRS, EDGE, and UMTS

So it looks like they have a common goal centered around these 5 technologies. They don't care about the current CDMA carriers as they have a different technological "framework" for pursuing 3G.
    >>

Just curious here, have a question, not a contradiction

Isn't UMTS an evolution from CDMA ?

Abstract: Alcatel and Motorola Sign a Worldwide Cooperation Agreement For CDMA Infrastructure Solutions and UMTS Development PARIS and ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. Feb. 5, 1999 - Alcatel and Motorola offer customers advanced digital mobile networks and jointly develop new generation mobile products

"/hot%5Fnews/search/1999/feb%5F99/020599.html"

8. amphibian

amphibian Senior Member

<< Just curious here, have a question, not a contradiction

Isn't UMTS an evolution from CDMA ?

Abstract: Alcatel and Motorola Sign a Worldwide Cooperation Agreement For CDMA Infrastructure Solutions and UMTS Development PARIS and ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. Feb. 5, 1999 - Alcatel and Motorola offer customers advanced digital mobile networks and jointly develop new generation mobile products
    "/hot%5Fnews/search/1999/feb%5F99/020599.html"
    >>

May I answer my own question, or tell you what I have learned since posting this ?

What I gather from CDMA Development Group quotes is there are 2 goals, endpoints to achieve 3G;
    paths will lead either to UMTS (W-CDMA) or CDMA2000 1X.

TDMA/GSM may or may not get there by expected way of GPRS/EDGE.

http://www.cdg.org/tech/shosteck/overview.asp

GSM or CDMA :
    The Commercial and Technology Challenges for TDMA Operators
    An analysis by
    The Shosteck Group
    Published by the
    CDMA Development Group
    June 2001

As a first step, we clarify what we mean by 3G. The radio component of advanced technologies varies in terms of at least three characteristics.

The RF channel width. This can range from 200 kHz for GSM-GPRS to 5 MHz for UMTS.

The RF spectrum allocation. This can vary from deployment on currently assigned spectrum at 800 and 1900 MHz for CDMA2000 1X to deployment on newly allocated spectrum at 1900 and 2100 MHz for UMTS. While seldom discussed, this latter spectrum is also suitable for CDMA2000 1X as well.

The data rate. Depending on technology, this may range from theoretical rates of 115 kbps to beyond 2 Mbps. Some advanced technologies are called 2.5 G; others are called 3G; others are, or have been, called both.

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) serves as the arbiter of 3G standards. It does not define 3G in terms of channel width or spectrum allocation, but rather data rates. By ITU definition, the 3G RF interface can deliver data rates of 144 kbps or greater. The ITU recognizes W-CDMA (UMTS) and CDMA2000 1X as meeting this criterion.1

http://www.cdg.org/tech/shosteck/review.asp

To understand the 3G migration options open to TDMA/IS-136 operators, we begin by examining the currently conceived migration paths for the major 2G technologies: GSM, cdmaOne, and TDMA/IS-136. This chapter reviews and expands parts of our earlier discussions. Following this review, we examine the possibility of CDMA2000 1X as a migration alternative for TDMA. We do not review PDC, a 2G technology that is unique to Japan and which will be superceded by UMTS and CDMA2000 1X.

One assumed migration for TDMA/IS-136 posits an initial transition to GSM, subsequent adoption of GPRS and EDGE and final deployment of UMTS, the generally accepted 3G standard for GSM.

Examining this assumed path uncovers what may be possible barriers to TDMA operators who deploy GSM. Because of these, some TDMA operators may find it useful to reevaluate the full cost benefits of the GSM option and to consider CDMA2000 1X (also called CDMA 1xRTT) as an alternative for enabling 3G services. This will be particularly so for operators who are assigned to 800 MHz spectrum.24

9. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

And just to add something else here....

GSM carriers will eventually migrate to W-CDMA (as you have mentioned) and most likely using EDGE as the intermediary stepping stone. And current CDMA carriers will be upgrading to CDMA2000.

W-CDMA and CDMA2000 are fundamentally based on the spread-sprectrum air interface technology of CDMA, albeit W-CDMA utilizing a wideband form and CDMA2000 utilizing a narrowband form.

Qualcomm wins because they have hundreds of patents based around the CDMA technology and both W-CDMA and CDMA2000 carriers will owe patent royalties to Qualcomm. Yes there were some bitter battles and bad blood about this whole arena but things have settled.

10. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Kinda off subject...........or not........................3G is here baby!!!!!!! We have the express network up in Houston MUAHAHAUHHAHA It rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!