Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

3 days into my AT&T trial period and I have some info...

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Calador, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Calador

Calador New Member

3 days into my AT&T trial period and I have some info...

Ok so I have been a verizon customer since 1999. I recently have had experiences with them that have made me want to change my carrier. So right now I am in my trial period for AT&T. I had some observations and some questions. Hopefully this may help someone out there and mebe someone can answer my questions as well. I live in PA, and I picked my AT&T phone up on saturday for my test period. I was told to charge the phone up fully before using it at all, and I was told that it should stay turned on the entire time and I could not use it till the AT&T logo appeared on the screen. So I go out to my car and plug it into the car charger and the AT&T logo appears instantly.

In Stroudsburg I have full signal, this looks promising, of course the big V (Verizon) has the same signal here as well. There is a difference though, my verizon phone is roaming in S-burg and not roaming at my place of work (bethlehem). The AT&T phone has not gone roaming yet no matter where I have tried it. This is one of my questions by the way why the difference????

Before I use the phone I logged into the AT&T online customer service application, and I verify the plan I wanted was the plan I was signed up for. Well, good thing I checked cuz the girl that handled the paperwork made a boo-boo. I was not in fact signed up for the calling plan I wanted, I was signed up for a different plan. E-gads this won't do. So I call customer service and I get Tim. Tim is a nice fellow and he works through this with me he also fixes the incorrect billing address that was entered because I asked him to check it. He then offers me a plan that does not exist on the attws.com site nor do the stores have this plan available as of yet. He explains to me that it is a plan that they use to try to convert people who are trying the service out. It's called the AT&T National Network Plan. It is roughly the same as the verizon America's Choice Plan. Same coverage same free long distance and competitively priced with said big V plan. I say sure what the hell I'll take that plan instead of the boo-boo plan the girl at the dealer stuck me with.

That little speedbump out of the way I then commence to test the phone. The first thing I have to mention is it works at my home. I have never had a cell phone that worked at my home. This is koolness, and I am enamored by the ability to use my weekend minutes and free LD from my house. Verizon has good coverage but they don't have coverage at my house. Can you hear me now NO the phone don't work here. However, AT&T can you hear me now Oh yeah baby. So I go to the movies and try it there and it works there too. And I am now at work and it works great here too.

Soo it looks like AT&T has more dense coverage of the areas I go then the big V. And since I'm on the secret agent plan I have the equivelent of Americas choice but a few dollars cheaper. The only reason they offered me this plan by the way is that I told the guy I was a verizon customer trying out their service.

So this is where I stand at the moment I have a few more places to test the phone, but I think I may have found my new carrier. The phone I am testing is a regular old Nokia 3360. Nothing special with ungodly features, but wait till they finish the conversion to GSM then I'll have the phone of the gods babee.

I guess the only question that I have is why does my Verizon phone roam sometimes even though I am within a 26 mile radius, and this AT&T phone has not roamed yet. And for anyone who lives in this area if you go Cingular the phone will bang off the same towers I use for AT&T as they have a roaming agreement between them, so if I have signal you would too.

So far other than the dealer screwing my billing address and my plan choice up (not an AT&T person an authorzed dealer) everything has been fine.

The only thing I don't like is that unlike Verizon's online account access with AT&T's you can't see how many minutes you have used. With the big V's you can. This may seem small, but I use that to make sure I don't go over.

So thats whats up so far. I will update later if anyone thinks this is helpful.

2. Calador

Calador New Member

I have to make a correction to my post. This morning the plan I am now in was not on the AT&T website, now it is. And since I only signed up for a 1 year I get 3000 night and weekend minutes but if you sign up for a 2 year contract you get unlimited night and weekend minutes for life. for the same $34.95. Hmmmm I wonder if I can change my plan to a 2 year plan since I just activated on saturday and get the unlimited night and weekend minutes. Methinks Ill have to check this out.

3. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Welcome to AT&T Wireless Services -- Cellular Cellutions for You !!!! [​IMG]

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    May you live long and your mLife prosper.

5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

you should be fine with the 3000 N&W minutes unless you gossip more than Joan Collins. 3000 is a lot a lot of minutes

6. erub

erub Junior Member

A few things: the nights and weekends on your nationwide network plan start at 9 pm, in the time zone you are in. Not like the rest of their plans where N+W start at 8 pm, so be careful. 3000 minutes is (duh) 100 minutes a day - considering you can't really use those until after 9 pm, I think you should be fine with that [​IMG] I'd stay with a 1 year contract so you can upgrade your phone cheaper after a year (although they may have some GSM upgrade program for those under contract - not sure).

Personally, since I don't travel, I think AT&T has by far the most appealing $40 plan in the DFW market - do they offer it to you? 600 anytime, 3000 n+w (starting at 8 pm) and free LD. I'm with Cingular now though, and I can't use up my 400 anytime with n+w starting at 9 pm (use between 240-300), and coverage is good here with them. I'd like to see Cingular bump up the anytime minutes though [​IMG] For some reason, Verizon's new plans weren't released in Dallas, only some family talk plans.

Kevin: [​IMG]

7. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

If Cingular bumps up the minutes, you will no longer like Cingular any more because of network bust etc. Cingular has alot of customer in Dallas-FortWorth, it would congest their system if every use their phone more. And if customer had more minutes (daytime) they would use more minutes(daytime).

8. erub

erub Junior Member

how come AT&T can get away with offering more minutes then? Does Cingular not have the capacity to expand, or do they just not see it as worthwhile to expand the capacity in DFW (because of the large happy subscriber base)? I think that its odd that for the same $40/month, my sister gets 450 anytime minutes in Houston with Cingular, but we get 400 here.

Do you think they will offer more minutes with GSM (like AT&T has done, you get 750 anytime minutes with a 2 year contract with them on GSM)? I've heard some say that GSM allows for more callers, but then I've heard others say TDMA is more efficient (discounting wireless internet, voice quality, and SIM cards).

9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Remember that at&t's network advantage has a smaller coverage then verizon and the night minutes start at 9. I recommend taking a very close look at the map of the network advantage to make sure that it covers the areas that you travel.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Calador

Calador New Member

Actually Jack the map is pretty complete. The digital PCS area is small true enough but the beige type area labeled national roaming area, which is not a roaming charge area is quite complete. And I really don't travel much at all =o). But if I want to dang it I can now. And my night minutes on the big V started at 9pm as well so thats not a change to me, but with the AT&T service I can use the phone at my home which the big V never has had. That can you hear me now guy needs to come to my house and he'll se how it really is. So I think at this point unless Verizon comes up with something really great for me in the next few days I'm gonna switch to AT&T.

11. goodjasonhunting

Hey calador, I am glad you have found a provider that suits your usage. Big things are happening with AT&T and you should reap the benefits. Once your market goes to gsm/gprs you can look forward to upwards of 25 devices to be released by the end of 2k2. (this includes modems, pdas, phones and other mobile stations) To address erub's concern over upgrading, every att customer can upgrade their phone after 60 days of service, and will qualify for a discount after 11 months of service.

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

nice deal [​IMG]

good looking out from at&t wireless

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Calador, you should have done research on the newsgroups before jumping into the National Advantage scheme. I suggest that if you plan on using service within the PA region, Jersey, NYC region, that you change into the Digital Advantage Plan. AT&T's national system is not 'reliable,' and users should not depend upon alpha-tag readouts for determining roaming status. While we are on that subject, AT&T has fine tuned its roaming agreements to a point where in most cases the display will "Read" AT&T 85% of the time, and rarely will read Extended. In my area, Philadelphia, AT&T at times pops out "Extended" but usually after the second visit to the location where it displayed this tag the phone simply prints "AT&T." Also, at one time users roaming under Cingular were able to reach Cingular's CS through 611, this has since changed. As for National Advantage, get rid of it unless you LIVE within an metropolitan area (which you do not) and plan to use your phone within 25 miles of a major urban center throughout the US.

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If it works for him that is fine.

but unless you travel I would say that someone would be better off with a local plan/regional plan that would not matter if you were on a at&t tower or not

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Calador

Calador New Member

Well the regional plan is 5 dollars more per month than the national plan I am on now first off. Secondly, I have now had this phone going on 3 weeks now and I have even received my first bill. Not 1 roaming charge anywhere I went and all my LD was free just as advertised. I was originally signed up for the regional advantage plan which is the northeast coastal area plan. But the national plan is the same amount of minutes and it is 5 dollars a month cheaper. In the area I use the phone the coverage I receive is flawless so far, and I like the choices that I have as far as my phones go over Verizon, they have squat for choices. I have already talked to an Attws customer service person and had my account notated so that when my area goes GSM I can upgrade my phone at a reasonable rate. What I am saying is this I don't see a downside to attws so far. They may suck big time in other areas, but where I need the phone to work it works, and I am in an area where attws has a higher tower density then verizon. Also, as for my choice of plan it doesn't really matter all that much what the nationwide coverage is to me. It covers my home area which is where I will be 99% of the time, and the price was better than the comparable regional plan. And bottom line like Jack said if it works for me then it works for me, your mileage may vary.

Stay safe

16. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Yeah I was just in Bethlehem, Allentown, Easton, Coopersburg, Hellertown, Nazareth, Wind Gap and Altoona and I seemed to have decent ATTWS coverage in all of these towns. There are of course some dead spots like when you get off the highway and onto 183 and are driving through the farmlands to get to Reading. But once I was in Reading and around the airport area, service seemed pretty decent.

17. RUMMY

RUMMY New Member

AT&T WIRELESS NATIONAL NETWORK PLAN
    Your phone may display "AT&T" when inside your Home Calling Area.The actual rates charged will be determined by the information contained in our billing system, not based on the phone's display. Your calls
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    **Neither is it based entirely upon relative GEOGRAPHY.**

will be applied to your Included Anytime Minutes if you are in the Home Calling Area and on the AT&T Wireless network. Any calls placed outside of the Home Calling Area and off of the AT&TWireless network will be subject to applicable long distance and roaming charges.
    --------------------------------

This is dangerous and fiscally unpredictable in nature. Do what you want, good luck.

18. Calador

Calador New Member

Rummy I have read that and I understand the words. However, again it doesn't make any difference to me. As I said everywhere I have used the phone it has worked and I have not been charged any roaming charges or long distance. I am sure of this as I have received my first bill. All that matters to me as the customer here is that when I need the phone and where I need the phone it works as advertised with no roaming charges or wierd long distance charges. And so far thats exactly what I am getting for my consumer dollar from attws. It doesn't really matter to me if it doesn't work well somewhere else. All that matters is that it does work where I am and I am in an area that has a documented higher tower density then the big V. And both my phones display and my bill seem to verify that that is indeed the case here. I do appreciate all the things people are pointing out, but like I said your mileage may vary. For me attws is stacking up to be the best cellular service at this point in time.

19. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    pa seems to have pretty good coverage. just remember that the night minutes are 9 and not 8

Jack

20. goodjasonhunting

Calador, it appears that you have done your homework and I applaud you for that. I wish more customers researched the plans they are choosing and read the companie's terms and conditions like you did.

21. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You can't rely on the phone's display to determine if you are roaming anymore. Also, depending on the model your phone's display can stay the same while going across regions but a roaming indicator may show up. A few years ago, I used to travel across the eastern US for my job and my phone used to display all kinds of names depending on where I was. I was subscribed to Cellular One which is now Cingular. Even if I had a national plan the roaming indicator would show up. As soon as I upgraded my nokia 5120 to the 8260, I never got a roaming indicator anymore. I then quit my job so I didn't need the national plan anymore and switched to the local NY/NJ plan. So now if I traveled outside the area, the indicator never showed I was roaming, although I knew I was.

You can easily determine if you are roaming or not with Sprint because as long as you are picking up a digital signal, you are not roaming. These new national plans that Verizon and AT&T are coming up with now are basically the same thing Sprint has been doing for years. AT&T and others figured out that Sprint was catching up with them and decided to do the same. Originally, AT&T and Verizon national plans only packed a couple of hundred minutes for a steep price but Sprint gave you much more for less. The difference was that AT&T and Verizon had true national plans while Sprint was only as long as you could connect directly to their network. Well, AT&T, Verizon and Cingular figured out that their own networks were big enough that they can call it a national coverage just like Sprint does. That is near metropolitan areas only where the majority of the population is. Cingular however is the only one that has true national coverage with no roaming anywhere in the US and is willing to give you thousands of night and weekend minutes at the same time. Not even Sprint, which is known as the no-roaming-no-long-distance king can beat that.

So, since apparently everything is converting slowly to nationwide, pretty soon roaming will be a thing of the past.