Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

212 Area Code Mobile Numbers?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by M in LA, Nov 13, 2004.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Are any of the carriers still offering available 212 area code numbers for cell phones? I read something online recently that some 212 numbers were available from some carriers. Just curious if any of you NYCers know anything about this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    It's very difficult to get a 212 number for a landline now, let alone for a cell phone. Back in the early 80's, 212 was the area code for all numbers in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Then, in the late 80's, all the 212 numbers in the 4 boroughs outside of Manhattan became numbers in the 718 area code, and 212 became the exclusive area code for Manhattan. In the early 90's, the 917 area code became the citywide area code for cell phones and pagers. In the late 90's, the 646 area code was added for cell phones citywide (and Manhattan landlines) to supply the growing numbers of cell phones. A couple of years ago the 347 area code was added for cell phones citywide (and landlines outside of Manhattan). Confused yet?

Basically, it's now virtually impossible to get a 212 number for a cell phone. The only way to get one would be for a VZW or AT&T/Cingular customer to drop a cell number that they probably got in the 80's. With number portability in effect, it just doesn't happen. There have been people with 212 numbers who have put them up for auction on E-bay.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you are referring to Jenny's number, that was a scam! :)

4. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    That's what I thought when I heard about it.

5. maniac

maniac New Member

Try Cingular....i Got3 (212) Numbers In The Last 6 Months From Them....if They Dont Have One The First Time U Ask, Just Settle For Anyone At The Moment, Then Keep Trying As They Are Updated Everyday.

6. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That is your best bet. The news a few months ago was that Cingular had gotten their hands on a block of 212 numbers and were giving them out as mobile numbers.

7. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu New Member

i have a 212 mobile number (on a prepaid account) for sale

you can port this number to your carrier of choice

am selling this because i have just opened a postpaid AT&T account here in CA and they would not let me port a number with a NY area code

#7 alvinrayyu, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  8. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It is probably easier than you think to get a 212 number. Try your luck with AT&T. When I had Cingular 3 years ago I requested a 212 number and they gave me an entire list of numbers available with that area code. From what I was told numbers get recycled every day and if you call first thing in the morning that is the best time to get one. Assuming AT&T still gets these numbers you can always get a prepaid phone and then port to the carrier of your choice if you don't want to keep AT&T.

9. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Whoa, an old dead thread of mine gets resurrected...4 years later.:D

10. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'll stick with my AC 567 here in Nw ohio...LOL less confusing here!!! :)

11. gunar

gunar Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I have a T-Mobile pre paid SIM card with 212 area code. If you'd like to have it, I can be talked into selling it fairly easily since I don't use it all that much.
    You can port it to your carrier of choice (cellular or land line) or keep it w/ T-Mo if you'd like.
    You can reach me via email: Deleted

#11 gunar, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  12. gunar

gunar Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    It appears posting an email address is against the rules. (Totally understandable) So if anyone is interested in having a 212 area code for their cell phone..... post a message here and we'll get in touch.:)

13. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    I remember when PagePlus was offering a free phone and 100 minutes to anyone sending in an old activated Beyond wireless or USA 1-Rate phone. I had sent in a couple old Beyond TDMA phones, since they were soon to be useless, but I had another unactivated TDMA phone, to get rid of, if anyone would activate it. I called USA 1-Rate, and even though they were having problems with their current accounts, I got through quickly to a rep that had no problem starting up a free account for me. I didn't care what number I got, since I wouldn't be using the phone, but they had very few numbers available, nothing in MA or CT. I said what about NY, she said OK, and gave me a 212 area code number.

So, the point of this post was how odd to me that a company on the verge of going out of business, with few numbers available, did have, of all things, those coveted numbers.

14. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    There's just one source of 212 phone numbers--disconnects! So follow the earlier recommendation--call early in the day when you want one.

COtech

15. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Care to explain how?

16. gunar

gunar Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    or you can buy the one i have

17. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

You are very persistent in trying to sell yours. I already have a '212' number so I certainly don't want it, but was just curious if you care to share how much you want to sell it for.

18. gunar

gunar Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Have several.... price varies from $75.00 to $500.00 depending on how "easy to remember" the number is.