Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

2 questions about nextel

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Xplicit, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Xplicit

Xplicit Member

When you make a call to someone who owns a nextel phone and you hear a womens voice come on and say please hold while we tried to contact this nextel subsciber or something like that sentence does it mean that they are using the 2 way feature? Everytime you get that message does it mean there using the 2 way feature or just sometimes???

Also if the voicemail says that the user cannot currently recieve voicemails im figuring the user shut off the voicemail but is there any other reason that could happen?????????

Thanks

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When you hear "Please hold while the Nextel subscriber you're trying to reach is located" is a way to tell you to wait because the first ring takes a while to sound and in the meantime you may think there's something wrong if you don't hear anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Xplicit

Xplicit Member

so it doesnt mean that there using the 2 way feature?

4. faceboy

faceboy New Member

I am a nextel subscriber and here is my deal on it. It only tells u please hold while they locate the nextel subscriber when the person is out of range and cant be found immediately. And as far as the voicemail thing.... yes its when we turn our voicemail off. Why u ask??

5. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

ok...the "please wait blah blah blah" is not due to the tower not bieng able to "locate" the person...this doesnot happen with lanmdline phone or other cell phone companies....and it sometimes repeats 3 times taking upto5-10 seconds before it starts ringing....the fact is that nextel's network is over crowded and the 6:1 vocoder handsets have not been made avalable....the "please wait..." is nextel's way of saying that all lines are busy if your lucky the chances are that a line will open up in 5-10 seconds...

6. wxram

wxram Junior Member

You really have no idea what you are talking about. It is not about overcrowding. The tower tries to locate you more than once incase you are d/cing or out of service area. It will not go directly to voicemail. Phone calls are important so it will attempt to reach you more than once. Thats how business gets done.

7. Suliman

Suliman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Katana (2)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Millenicom
    I have this happen occasionally when dialing some of my coworkers. It seems that if they don't have their phone turned on, this recording is quite common. I agree that the message is just telling the caller that it is looking for the phone a little longer before reverting to voicemail.

Suliman

8. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

As a former Nextel subscriber I can tell you that the "Please hold....." message was heard by everyone who tried calling me. That what comes on when you have no service, and 70% of the time i had no service.

9. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

i think you're the one who has no idea what your talking about....the stuff your saying where its trying to "locate" you...thats just nextel bull$hit so that the customers don't have to hear a busy signal...and obviously it works pretty well because it has managed to convince all the naive users....try this cause i have tried it several times in differnt places...make sure your getting a good signal...and then call from another phone either landline or another cell phone provider and 9 out of 10 times you will still hear that stupid recording....

10. CRobin3691

CRobin3691 New Member

The "please hold" message will be played for a couple of different reasons. If the customer is using direct connect, the message will be played until the customer releases the ptt button in order to let the phone ring. If the customer is in a fringe service area and did not shut their phone off it will play the message until the customer is located, or if they do not have a good enough signal or no signal, the call will be forwarded to voicemail. Other wireless providers just let the phone ring a couple more times, or forward the caller to voicemail if the phone can't be reached. When a Nextel phone is shut off the call will just go to voicemail. At least you know that the person you are calling has their phone on, but is busy using direct connect or in a fringe area.

11. wxram

wxram Junior Member

I'm just telling you what is true. I am not going to argue with you.

12. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Very true Wxram.....
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I agree with wxram here. Nextel plays that recording while AT&T, T_mobile and the others give you dead air. When you hear dead air for a few seconds you automatically think something is wrong. This is a normal psichological reaction. Nextel's recording is a simple psichological comfort given to callers.

The time between the call is dialed and the moment the phone responds and begins ringing can vary for a good number of reasons. The response window can be anywhere from 2.5 to 5 seconds but it can be more if for some reason the receiver phone did not get the order packet to receive a call, or maybe it is executing a tower change, etc. Also, iDEN systems tend to take longer, while CDMA can be the quickest depending on system conditions. TDMA and GSM are somewhere in between.

T-Mobile (back when it was Omnipoint) used to have a recording like that. Again, it is a courtesy recording. With AT&T, if the phone is off, you can go 10 to 15 seconds before the voicemail comes up and in the meantime you hear nothing. This will lead many people to believe that something is wrong when there isn't. That's why Nextel has the recording. However, it is not all the time like this. The timing always varies.

Sprint and Verizon will give you a "fake" ring even before the phone being called is not being located yet. Sprint attempts to be the quickest system by switching to voicemail rather quick if the phone is off. Verizon will ring 3 or 4 times before going to voicemail. With Verizon you can tell when it switches from the fake ring to the real ring when the phone actually begins to ring. Sometimes T-Mobile does this too just so that you are not listening to dead air. This is how it works here in NYC market.

14. Estabon

Estabon Junior Member

wxram and crobin are both correct!!!

15. faceboy

faceboy New Member

You are talking, do you have a Nextel. Everyone else is right, you don't have a clue what u talking about, you only get that message because they are searching for u.

16. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

ok...everyone is makinmg assumptions including me...and unless someone is a nextel network egineer we will never know the truth...the fact is that i have a nextel phone from work....and i have expirmented and i don't know about if it gives that message during direct connect or a low signal area but i know for sure i had 4 bars on my phone and in various places it still gave me that message 9 out of 10 times when i tried calling it...explain that...

17. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

A little off the argument: I don't know about Nextel has this (or if other carriers still do), but a lot of carriers used to limit the ammount of voicemail that a user could receive and when people got to their limit they could hear the cannot receive voicemail message. The best way to figure out if Nextel has a voicemail limit would be ask the person if they have VM turned off the next time you get the message.

I am not tring to imply that Nextel has a voicemail limit. Frankly, I don't even know if T-Mobile has one. I am just saying that a lot of carriers used to limit the ammount of VM that one could receive and that MIGHT be why you are getting that message. I'm sorry that I have to add comments like those since "Nextel is bad" shouldn't be implied from "Nextel might have a voicemail limit. A lot of carriers used to do this," but people on these forums like to make everything personal and hostile.

18. Xplicit

Xplicit Member

Could that be a reason the voicemail was off? I never knew there was a limit. Can anyone back that up?