Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

-= 1xrtt handsets AND coverage/signal strength in san francisco and san diego =-

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by christof, Nov 26, 2001.

1. christof

christof Junior Member

greetings...

i'm currently with sprint and their coverage in the san francisco bay area sucks. i'm planning to switch to verizon because i hate cingular's trademark "system busy," att's old TDMA technology, nextel's rediculously expensive rate plans, and sprint's crappy coverage. verizon utilizes CDMA, which i love...

two things...

1xrtt handsets... does anyone have any idea when verizon will be releasing handsets compatible with their "new" (1xrtt) network? if so, when, which handsets, and how much? i've heard about the LG VX1, Samsung SCH-N370, and Kyocera 2235 from <http://www.nwfusion.com/net.worker/...1114nexgen.html>, but i don't know when they'll be released or for how much. i've heard rumors (from CNET Wireless) that the LG VX1 will be released this december... but... does anyone have some real info?

coverage and signal strength in SAN FRANCISCO and SAN DIEGO... can anyone tell me about coverage in these two areas? specifically: in the san francisco region, i'm frequently in SANTA CRUZ, near UCSC... and in the san diego region, i'm frequently in the LA JOLLA / TORREY PINES area, near UCSD...

i look forward to all of your responses... thanks again...

"christof"

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hello Christof

The only "real" information I can give you is 2 months worth of anticipation gone sour. From what I've read on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tm520, the date for the release of the VX1 has now been postponed until "late December or January." When I wrote Verizon, they weren't even aware of the VX1 and weren't sure when the new network would be up and running in the Bay Area. (I had been told in late September that the VX1 (formerly TM520) would be available in October, then, when that turned out to be vaporware, LG said "in November." Now, its anyone's guess.)

SF signal is good. Santa Cruz ought to be good as well. Don't know about the others. Check out the newsgroup: alt.cellular.verizon for specific info on Verizon issues. I subscribed to Verizon on 11/1 because of hearing a lot of good about them. I cancelled on 11/12 when, no matter where I was, nearly everytime I tried to dial out I kept getting the automated message: "Welcome to cellular roaming." Then I was prompted to enter a credit card number to complete the call. I was on a plan that coveraged 12 western states and Verizon couldn't tell me why I kept getting this message.

Your dismissive comments about TDMA and unfounded. I have been with ATT since 1994 and found their service superior to every other carrier in California. Additionally, ATT's rates are much better than Verizon's right now. For myself, I recently changed plans to the local plan for 600 minutes which gives me the entire state of Calif as my "local" area and includes free roaming and long distance within the state. It also includes unlimited nights and weekends. Because my wife has been carrying our mutual phone for so long and my firm discontinued business-issued cell phones, I recently went out and bought the Panasonic Allure which has voice-dialing, voice-commands, speaker-phone and many other features. I even started a Yahoo! Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanAllure. As of this posting, 14 people have joined the group.

Kevin

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I work at verizon wireless and to be honest right now they havent realy said what is to be the release date on that they are trying to keep it hush hush till they have all the bugs worked out so realy at this time i dont think it will be coming up any time soon.

4. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

I would hope they get all their markets digital before they think about putting a 3G system in place. There are a lot of analog only markets on Verizon around the country, including ours(Ukiah)only 90 miles north of SF. They tell us this week digital will be turned on, course they've been saying that for almost a year now :(