Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1X and EV

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by swker98, Mar 5, 2006.

1. swker98

swker98 New Member

whats the differentnce between them, and why does my phone sometihmes switch between 1x and ev
    1x

just wondering, ps my phone is the samsung a 950

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    1X is 1xRTT gives the wireless provider more calling capcity than IS-95A (1st Generation CDMA). This is for dowloading things like Get It Now and internet use. You can go up to 144Kbps (little faster than Dailup) 99% of VZW network is 1XRTT ready.

EV is EV-DO at this time it is for data only (wireless calls go back to 1XRTT). This is for highspeed internet and VCast. You can dowload sometimes at speeds over 1Mbps. EV-DO is right now in most metros and is hardly in any rural areas at this time. By the end of the year Verizon will be pushing EV-DO into more rural areas.

Hope this helps out

3. swker98

swker98 New Member

thanks that helped alot now i understad:), im also wondering what the difffernece is between "extended network" and "roaming" on my phone if so what are they. And snice i hvae supoitly an all digitial phone (samsung a950) will this hurt my service at all?

thanks

4. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Not knowing your plan I can give you a general answer.

With the America's Choice I plan if your phone says extended network you are roaming on an another carrier's network but you are not paying any charges. Some of Verizon's features such as voice mail may or may not be available.

If you are roaming you may see a solid triangle on your screen. There is a $.69/min charge for roaming. A blinking triangle on your screen would indicate no extra roaming fees.

If you are on the ACII plan there is no paid roaming period.

As for analog, unless you are out in the boondocks somewhere it is probably not necessary to have.

5. moonrequiem

moonrequiem New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a950
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Agreed...Analog roaming is becoming a thing of the past...Verizon has done a decent job at expanding their digital network (including extended service). Unless you have a specific problem in your area with achieving digital service, then stick to an all digital phone.

Hope this helps.

6. swker98

swker98 New Member

thanks for the answers, yes i do have americas choice plan and never had to use roaming only diital or analog extended network. i have the a950

thnaks for clearing up all that stuff

ps moonrequiem i see you have the 950, have you used the mp3 player function, if so can you answer these questions
    what dormat do i have to transfer songs to my transflash card, i heard it had to be wma so i wanna be shore, and can you transfer photos via transflash card to and from the phone

thanks again guys