Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

10-digit dialing (With foreign subtitles: Drop The "One")

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Jan 9, 2002.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Here's a little-known trick I found out recently from reading another newsgroup:

For wireless subscribers in the USA that are calling USA phone numbers: drop the "1" from before the area code. I changed all my phonebook entries and it works perfectly. I have dialed all over the USA with just the area code and phone number (10-digits) and it goes through without any problem.

I know this works on both ATT and Verizon. Perhaps subscribers on Cingular and Sprint (and others) can post here if it works on their networks.

-kev

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Kevin,

After you told me about that I was talking with one of our managers in Virginia area and he said it doesn't work all the time. If he has to dial local toll he needs to add the 1 but if he calls traditional long distance he only needs to dial the 10 digits. From what I understand he incurrs a toll charge on the local ld but it's not consider a LD call. By the way he has Verizon service.

Tom

3. Guest

Guest Guest

10 digits -- only -- works for me everytime and everywhere with Verizon. Maybe because I have a National plan. But my local (wireline) area has a lot of the 1-xxx- ld numbers and I still only need 10 digits with the cell.

4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

It works

I think it works with mostly every provider. It works for Nextel and Voicestream

5. Jackstar

Jackstar Junior Member

10 digit

with sprint, verizon, qwest, at and t with home and roaming, have never needed to dial one. not sure if this is true, but I have heard dialing the 1 first can incur charges which otherwise would not appear. (I've worked for Qwest Wireless for over two years.

6. erub

erub Junior Member

It works

wow, that's great news. That means I wont have to add a 1 to all my #s when I go off to college.

7. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It works

I've known about that for a quite a little while. On my Suncom phone as well as my grandmothers Alltel phone you also just need to dial the 10 digit number no need to add the one in front of it.