Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1 out of 3 touch pro's make me a liar!

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by JeffDTD, Nov 9, 2009.

1. JeffDTD

JeffDTD New Member

So here it goes.. bought the touch pro last December at BEST BUY.. loved the phone.. came to it from the original touch. At first, I noticed a few more dropped calls than usual, but attributed that to just hiccups in coverage. I'm not really the avid modder.. I add software I like, different wallpapers and sounds, but I don't go after registry hacks for network access management or power management. I just try to train my coverage and setting to maximize my experiences.

Anyway, come April 2009, I moved to another apartment about 5 miles across town. I moved to an apartment complex in line sight view of an interstate...very urban... and considered by sprint to be in "excellent" dark green coverage (per map). Unfortunately, from day one, I wanted to leave sprint kicking and screaming. My touch pro would work outside.. but the signal strength maintained at about -104dbm outside..and once inside.. no usable service whatsoever. I tested it in several buildings here.. all the same.
    So I opened a ticket in May, asking sprint to look at my coverage. That went nowhere. Fast forward to July. The coverage seemed even worse... Well, woke up one morning in August.. my touch screen no longer worked. Just gone! So I took it in... replaced via insurance.. phone #2 seemed about the same, perhaps a little less competant.... I ended up opening another ticket.. taking my complaints to the buzzaboutwireless forum. A ticket ended up being opened and forwarded to exec services..after a network test and test of my call statistics, they concluded my coverage was weaker than excellent, but that I should have a better experience and suggest an airrave. Well what do you know? My phone died a week ago.

I'm now on touch pro #3... on the way home from the store, I just about fell over... the speaker on the phone was rattling so bad, I couldn't bear to talk on it.. But it was too late in the day.. so I went home.. walked in my apartment.. and guess what? I WAS ABLE TO HOLD A CALL!

So the very next day, I get a followup call on my ticket, to find out how my phone was working..and check on the airrave need. I very sheepishly explained to the rep that while the 3rd touch pro was getting about the same dbm readings, it was able to hold a call indoors with 65% more success, no drops in most places. Unfortunately, I can't stand the vibrating speaker and they have now ordered yet another...

So the question comes down to this... What did sprint realize or what have they modded to get a refurb to perform and hold a weak signal better than 1 new device and 1 refurb?

i'm scared that #4 will have the same coverage ills... bummer.

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    -104 db is about the far limit of decent service, some phones can't hold a good call at -100db. A good phone may be able to hold a decent call up to about -110, but that's pushing it. If you already have marginal service outside, once you enter an apartment building of concrete, brick, and steel... well, that -104 db you had outside is probably -110 at best. Remember that with signal strength measured in -dbm that its a negative number, which means the closer to zero, the stronger the signal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    An airave would have solved your problems a long time ago.

I recommend getting your phone swapped again, while you still can, and getting an airave.

4. JeffDTD

JeffDTD New Member

Thanks for the comments .

Yes, i'm aware the higher the number, the worse the coverage. What still sits terrible with me is that Sprint has the area flagged as "excellent" coverage and its really only "fair" when those kind of readings occur outside.

Sprint would not budge on the $99 airave nor the $5 a month to turn it on... I understand their positioning, I just wish they had more interest in making the coverage maps more accurate... everyone in my apartment complex complains about the sprint coverage.

My real reason for starting the thread though... how is it that there is such varying performance on 3 different touch pros? Like I said, the ability to hold a call on the 3rd refurb is the difference between night and day

5. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    One possibility is that the different phones were built from different parts. CSE manufacturers don't necessarily use the exact same parts. They buy from different distributors, so there's no guarantee they're exactly the same.

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Jeff, I have to ask, what phone did you have before the TP, and did that phone have the same reception problems?

The TP was/is poorly made with cheap parts. Just browse the various forums and you will see you are not alone. My TP had the transmitter go out. I then sold my replacement quickly after receiving it.

If I were in your shoes, I would replace TP #3 with TP #4. Once you start having issues with TP#4 (you will :D ), take it to the Sprint store and get it replaced with another device. Sprint has a newer rule that after phone #4 they will replace it with comparable device of your choice. If the store rep refuses, call Sprint CS in-store or ASAP. When prompted say cancel, this will take you directly to retentions/cancellation department. Mention all your phone and reception troubles to the rep. If you meet their criteria, they should send you out a new phone of your choice, and get you a Airave for free or next to nothing. If you don't meet their criteria they will cancel you if you choose. If you plan to port your number, don't cancel right then. I'd pay (and have done it) the $200 to break my contract and find a service that works. :)

7. JeffDTD

JeffDTD New Member

Budney,
    Thanks for the advice :)

I had the original Touch prior to the Touch Pro.. .it actually did damn good with calls in my area, although I didn't live in my current apartment when I owned it. My roommate has a Sprint Blackberry Curve that works in her room and in our living room.

I've already activated Touch Pro #4.... and thankfully, its about like #3 concerning reception. Its oddly drained the fully charged battery I put in it in about 5 hours... can't find that its auto syncing or updating anything, but i'll keep looking. I'm also disappointed at this one's build quality.. the last 2's springs on the slider were very tight and secure.. this one, the top part of the phone isn't secured tightly when closed and creaks/gives when I tap the screen.. the slider is doughy and loose, so I'm fearful to put it in a pocket or anywhere that might place pressure on it. the top left corner of the silver casing just isn't secure. That, and the light behind the screen is noticeably more dim (at full bright).. so yeah, this ones been through plenty.

So we'll so how it goes! The last few days as I awaited #4's arrival, #3 started giving me the "non responding" hard keyboard... after typing on it a few minutes, it would no longer respond to any input and I'd have to restart the phone.

I seriously just hate the phone now.. not for what it looks like or how it functions.. i happen to love that. I hate it's flaws! And all this time, I've come to accept and not complained about the more ignorable flaws in software and efficiency. I just can't ignore the glaring ones

8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If a phone is operating in a low signal area it does a few things...

1. It increases the phone's RF power to its max.
    2. The phone spends more time looking for a better tower and/or available roaming network.

These factors, combined with the fact that CDMA phones don't have the same battery life as comprable GSM models would explain why your battery life seems low.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The Touch is one of HTC's best phones. I loved mine, went back to it after I sold my TP1. :) Jay is right about weak signal areas, but it doesn't help either when you have a faulty phone. Good luck, and let us know what happens. :)