Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American Roaming Network to sell prepaid cards

American Roaming Network is now going to start selling prepaid cards which will work with any deactivated cellular phone. www.americanroaming.com...

Phone(s)
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    USCC Nokia 6255i
    Provider(s)
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    Images

Default American Roaming Network to sell prepaid cards

American Roaming Network is now going to start selling prepaid cards which will work with any deactivated cellular phone.

www.americanroaming.com

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    Devices
    Palm TX, PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD

Default Re: American Roaming Network to sell prepaid cards

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    American Roaming Network is now going to start selling prepaid cards which will work with any deactivated cellular phone.

www.americanroaming.com
    Interesting, but I found their "How to use" section to be rather useless in helping one set it up -- am I that dense or did they not bother?
    Using the American Roaming Network is easy. Listen to the American Roaming Network voice prompts and follow directions to make a credit card or collect call or use your Prepaid American Roaming Account.

Calls can be completed on a "Call By Call" basis using a credit card or by reversing the call charges to the call recipients home phone number (land line) by using a collect call.

Remember, You save the most by purchasing the Prepaid American Roaming Account at $1.00 per minute.

Keep your old mobile phone or buy the American Emergency Phone as a backup in case of emergency.
    The only explanation I can come up with is that now all calls from deactivated phones will be automatically handled by the ARN.

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
    Interesting, but I found their "How to use" section to be rather useless in helping one set it up -- am I that dense or did they not bother?

The only explanation I can come up with is that now all calls from deactivated phones will be automatically handled by the ARN.
    It does seem that they will handle all calls, and it's for those that want an "Emergency Only" phone 1st.

I found this odd:
    American Roaming Network processes over 10 million calls each month that originate from un-registered mobile phones. ARN is the premier provider of CDMA roaming on the country servicing 100% of the top seven wireless carriers in the such as Verizonicon, Sprint, AT&Ticon, Cingular, ALLTEL, Metro PCS and many other national and regional wireless carriers.
    It doesn't make sense to me either, while reading their web site, guess I need to read it some more when I am not so tired.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

at $1 a minute, that stinks. They sure are not clear with their statemetns and they do ahve clarity issues. But the way I see it, if one has a GSM phone and happens in a no roaming service area and in actuality there is a GSM service in the area then one can go on that at $1 per minute. This works the same fo all others. However, if there is no GSM service (or what ever other type of service) in the Area then my take on it is one is out of luck as I do not know of a way that a GSM phone that can connect to a CDMA tower or vice versa.

Fresh Member
    Phone(s)
    motorola RAZZR
    Provider(s)
    Verizon

I find it good to know that this service exists.

Last year I carried a CDMA prepaid phone in case I couldn't get service on my Cingular GSM phone. Not once did I need to use it. Note: I might have been out of GSM range at times but at no time did I feel the need to make a call.

So I basically spent $100 on an insurance policy that I didn't need. I can now let the prepaid expire. I can still carry the phone for 911 use for free and if I really need to make a call to family or whatever, I can talk for almost 100 minutes before I reach the same cost as the prepaid.

So, although I agree the $1 a minute sounds expensive, for me and I'm sure a lot of people this is actually quite cheap considering the alternatives.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

Just make sure that the $100 of prepaid is used to the last penny. I also remember seeing some other small roaming companies that even charge more than that.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14
    I found this odd:
    American Roaming Network processes over 10 million calls each month that originate from un-registered mobile phones. ARN is the premier provider of CDMA roaming on the country servicing 100% of the top seven wireless carriers in the such as Verizonicon, Sprint, AT&Ticon, Cingular, ALLTEL, Metro PCS and many other national and regional wireless carriers.
    It doesn't make sense to me either, while reading their web site, guess I need to read it some more when I am not so tired.
    It's OK. They just failed to mention that they also handle TDMA and AMPS networks. That's why they included Cingular in that list. After all, CDMA, TDMA and AMPS are all based on the same ANSI-41 network which are all connected to the ARN for automatic roaming. This was created back in the 90's, nothing new about it. They DON'T handle GSM, though, so T-Mobile and Cingular/AT&Ticon GSM cannot use ARN because it is not needed. GSM networks handle roaming automatically without the need of ARN. Before ARN, TDMA/CDMA/AMPS users needed to dial *18 (I think) in order to be able to roam while traveling in the US, Canada or any other carrier in Latin America who used the ARN.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    PC 5740
    LG Env3 (wife)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Devices
    Clear spot

These cards might be a good idea for someone who has an old analog car mounted phone and have no way to use it. Since the cards are good for 2 years, to buy a $20 just in case would be a good idea.

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    These cards might be a good idea for someone who has an old analog car mounted phone and have no way to use it. Since the cards are good for 2 years, to buy a $20 just in case would be a good idea.

It would be a good idea for these people, but depending on how many carriers shut off Analog next year, it may limit or totally become un-usable soon after the Feb date.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Quote Originally Posted by hf1khal View Post
    at $1 a minute, that stinks. They sure are not clear with their statemetns and they do ahve clarity issues. But the way I see it, if one has a GSM phone and happens in a no roaming service area and in actuality there is a GSM service in the area then one can go on that at $1 per minute. This works the same fo all others. However, if there is no GSM service (or what ever other type of service) in the Area then my take on it is one is out of luck as I do not know of a way that a GSM phone that can connect to a CDMA tower or vice versa.
    Where did you get the "$1 a minute?" It's $2.99 to set up a call and $1.99 per minute.

GSM phones cannot connect to CDMA infrustructure. The only possible way is if you have a dual mode CDMA/GSM handset. There is no other way. Two incompatible technologies.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    If you really are going to use this for emergency it's silly to buy prepaid cards for use with ARN. Odds are that you're going to have some cellular service that will work 98% of the time with whatever service you use. For the 2% of the time it doesn't work you'll pony up the $3 to set up and the $2 per minute for thos emergency times that are not really 911 worthy calls.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Telekom View Post
    Where did you get the "$1 a minute?" It's $2.99 to set up a call and $1.99 per minute.

GSM phones cannot connect to CDMA infrustructure. The only possible way is if you have a dual mode CDMA/GSM handset. There is no other way. Two incompatible technologies.

I saw that some where in there. There site is so awfull to navigate. as to the GSM they say it in one of their PDF Info documents but also have this: Using the American Roaming Network is easy! Our service works from any unregistered CDMA, TDMA and AMPS mobile phones (GSM service is coming soon) which was not there before.

I can't even find any per minute costs in there any more.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

I saw that some where in there. There site is so awfull to navigate. as to the GSM they say it in one of their PDF Info documents but also have this: Using the American Roaming Network is easy! Our service works from any unregistered CDMA, TDMA and AMPS mobile phones (GSM service is coming soon) which was not there before.

I can't even find any per minute costs in there any more.
    Trust me it's $2.99 to set up the connection and $1.99 per minute. I've set up my Nokia 6360 for use with the service by reprogramming the NAM to 123-456-7890 and have attempted to make calls. I've not actually made a call since I don't have a spare $5 to throw away

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

Trust me it's $2.99 to set up the connection and $1.99 per minute. I've set up my Nokia 6360 for use with the service by reprogramming the NAM to 123-456-7890 and have attempted to make calls. I've not actually made a call since I don't have a spare $5 to throw away
    I do beleive you. Even at $1 it is not worth it. But these guys are for sure absolute ripoff artists. May be the FCC should regulate these people and some how get them to be down to earth. Buy the way the thing that I saw pertained for buying their prepaid card, may be if one is to use it on a per use basis could be the price you mentioned.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

I do beleive you. Even at $1 it is not worth it. But these guys are for sure absolute ripoff artists. May be the FCC should regulate these people and some how get them to be down to earth. Buy the way the thing that I saw pertained for buying their prepaid card, may be if one is to use it on a per use basis could be the price you mentioned.
    No one has a knife in anyone's back to use the service. It is there for emergencies and if you absolutely have to use the service it's there for you to use. No one makes anyone use Verizonicon/GTE Airphone either with their sky high rates. No one has suggested that the FCC get on their backs to lower their cost either. And BTW, the FCC doesn't have anything to do with tarriffs charged by cellphone carriers. It's not like land line service. I believe pay phones are the same way even though they are land line service. The telcos can and do charge anything they like for payphone rates and do not have to contact the FCC or even state regulatory agencies.

Yes, there was the thing about the prepaid card, but if you didn't notice the card only has a two year life. If people truly believe they will be in harm's way all the time it would be a much better investment to get a satellite phone which will work pretty much anywhere except inside a building or in a cave. You use what you need for the current situation.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

No one has a knife in anyone's back to use the service. It is there for emergencies and if you absolutely have to use the service it's there for you to use. No one makes anyone use Verizonicon/GTE Airphone either with their sky high rates. No one has suggested that the FCC get on their backs to lower their cost either. And BTW, the FCC doesn't have anything to do with tarriffs charged by cellphone carriers. It's not like land line service. I believe pay phones are the same way even though they are land line service. The telcos can and do charge anything they like for payphone rates and do not have to contact the FCC or even state regulatory agencies.

Yes, there was the thing about the prepaid card, but if you didn't notice the card only has a two year life. If people truly believe they will be in harm's way all the time it would be a much better investment to get a satellite phone which will work pretty much anywhere except inside a building or in a cave. You use what you need for the current situation.

I do agree with you. That was one thing I always refused to use any none known tele provider especialy the ones that do not spell out the charges.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

I do agree with you. That was one thing I always refused to use any none known tele provider especialy the ones that do not spell out the charges.
    If you are in a dire situation you may sing a different tune. If it's a question of my life or safety I'm not going to be concerned about what they charge or their per minute rate. Even though they may not spell it out on their web page if you use the service you will absolutely be aware of what they charge. Yes, it would have been nice if they had detailed what charges are, but they didn't. They have a contact link on their web page. Send them a note asking why their rates are not obviously published.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

If you are in a dire situation you may sing a different tune. If it's a question of my life or safety I'm not going to be concerned about what they charge or their per minute rate. Even though they may not spell it out on their web page if you use the service you will absolutely be aware of what they charge. Yes, it would have been nice if they had detailed what charges are, but they didn't. They have a contact link on their web page. Send them a note asking why their rates are not obviously published.
    In an emergency, I think the law requires them to provide free access to 911.

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    Devices

And GSM phones will attempt to connect an emergency call even in the absence of the SIM card in them.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

This is not the thrust of this conversation. This conversation is about the American Roaming Network. A poster believes that they charge too much for the service that they offer.

What is not under discussion is access to emergency services by calling 911 or 112 or any other numbers that will reach the service. True emergencies that require the use of 911 such as for reaching the fire department, police, poison center, medical emergencies or any real emergency are free to call anywhere in the US and Canada and perhaps in Mexico as well. Calling the emergency number is for just that. It's not to call a tow truck or things like that.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

This is not the thrust of this conversation. This conversation is about the American Roaming Network. A poster believes that they charge too much for the service that they offer.

What is not under discussion is access to emergency services by calling 911 or 112 or any other numbers that will reach the service. True emergencies that require the use of 911 such as for reaching the fire department, police, poison center, medical emergencies or any real emergency are free to call anywhere in the US and Canada and perhaps in Mexico as well. Calling the emergency number is for just that. It's not to call a tow truck or things like that.

I am with you, My response was based on what is marked in red.

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Your right in an emergency no one cares "if" they would charge to make a call, but why would you need it when 9-1-1 would be a free call?

I don't think anyone is trying to argue with you Telekom, but if your going to "buy" a service, they have to tell you the prices/rates up front, they can't just hide them from the general public & then when you get your bill you get sticker shock. That's the law with & What I believe hf1khal is trying to get at.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
    Your right in an emergency no one cares "if" they would charge to make a call, but why would you need it when 9-1-1 would be a free call?

I don't think anyone is trying to argue with you Telekom, but if your going to "buy" a service, they have to tell you the prices/rates up front, they can't just hide them from the general public & then when you get your bill you get sticker shock. That's the law with & What I believe hf1khal is trying to get at.
    Which is why I suggested that you use the contact link to make a query if it's important for you to know and ask why rates aren't spelled out on the web page.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

OK, it seems that buying their card only functions durring business hours. Here are their T&C:

"Terms & Conditions
    It is a Federal and State Offense to purchase any product or service by fraudulent means. Products/services purchased on this web site shall not be used for any unlawful purposes.

GlobalNova does not warrant that the service is completely error or interruption free nor does GlobalNova warrant any connection to or any transmission over the Internet. GlobalNova makes no representation or warranty express or implied including but not limited to any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or as to the quality of the call. In no event will GlobalNova be liable for any indirect, special, incidental or consequential losses or damages arising in any manner from the use of any products sold on this web site. Any liability is solely limited to the return of any unused portion of an account

Higher rates will apply for calls completed to mobile phones.
    All sales are final. Phone cards have no cash value.
    Calling rates are subject to change without notice, any time. GlobalNova will not be responsible or liable for any change in calling rates.
    A surcharge of $0.02 per minute applies when using the US 1-800 access number. Higher surcharges apply to international local and 800 access numbers.
    A $0.50 fee applies for each transaction.
    All calls are billed in 6-minute increments, except for the first minute, unless provided elsewhere. GlobalNova does not guarantee call quality, connectivity, or reimbursement of lost minutes due to disconnections.
    Connection to a wrong number or a voicemail is considered a valid call.
    GlobalNova will not be liable for any phone charges by the customer's local phone company or wireless company.
    Any Call Details Records provided about the usage of a prepaid phone account will be considered authentic and proof of the actual usage.
    Customer must first contact the customer support phone numbers listed on the website.
    Links
    This site may contain links to other web sites. These links are for your convenience, and GlobalNova does not recommend or endorse any products/services sold on those web site, nor does assume any responsibility or liability for products/services sold on those web site. You may use the links at your own risk.

No Refunds
    GlobalNova shall not be obligated to provide any refunds for unauthorized use or for deficiency in the quality or availability of telecommunications services. Buyer assumes all risks immediately upon purchase of the card. Prepaid cards sold are non-refundable and have no surrender value.

Security Issues
    This site has security measures (SSL) in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. GlobalNova however shall not be responsible for the security of your data or for fraudulent use of credit card to make purchases on this web site nor shall GlobalNova be obligated to make refunds or to provide any compensation where such fraudulent use occurs.

GlobalNova will actively cooperate with law enforcement authorities in prosecuting any one who uses this web site or products/services sold over this web site for unlawful use.

WARRANTY

GlobalNova controls this site. GlobalNova reserves the right to make changes, as and when it deems necessary or appropriate, in any of the terms and conditions or any other information provided on this site.

https://secure1.globaltel.com/arnpre...rmsAndCond.htm "

From the above I see that their connection fee is $0.50 but they bill in the increment of 6 minutes and I wish I can find the other document that they had as it seems to be gone. That document had their per minute cost.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

OK, it seems that buying their card only functions durring business hours. Here are their T&C:

"Terms & Conditions
    It is a Federal and State Offense to purchase any product or service by fraudulent means. Products/services purchased on this web site shall not be used for any unlawful purposes.

GlobalNova does not warrant that the service is completely error or interruption free nor does GlobalNova warrant any connection to or any transmission over the Internet. GlobalNova makes no representation or warranty express or implied including but not limited to any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or as to the quality of the call. In no event will GlobalNova be liable for any indirect, special, incidental or consequential losses or damages arising in any manner from the use of any products sold on this web site. Any liability is solely limited to the return of any unused portion of an account

Higher rates will apply for calls completed to mobile phones.
    All sales are final. Phone cards have no cash value.
    Calling rates are subject to change without notice, any time. GlobalNova will not be responsible or liable for any change in calling rates.
    A surcharge of $0.02 per minute applies when using the US 1-800 access number. Higher surcharges apply to international local and 800 access numbers.
    A $0.50 fee applies for each transaction.
    All calls are billed in 6-minute increments, except for the first minute, unless provided elsewhere. GlobalNova does not guarantee call quality, connectivity, or reimbursement of lost minutes due to disconnections.
    Connection to a wrong number or a voicemail is considered a valid call.
    GlobalNova will not be liable for any phone charges by the customer's local phone company or wireless company.
    Any Call Details Records provided about the usage of a prepaid phone account will be considered authentic and proof of the actual usage.
    Customer must first contact the customer support phone numbers listed on the website.
    Links
    This site may contain links to other web sites. These links are for your convenience, and GlobalNova does not recommend or endorse any products/services sold on those web site, nor does assume any responsibility or liability for products/services sold on those web site. You may use the links at your own risk.

No Refunds
    GlobalNova shall not be obligated to provide any refunds for unauthorized use or for deficiency in the quality or availability of telecommunications services. Buyer assumes all risks immediately upon purchase of the card. Prepaid cards sold are non-refundable and have no surrender value.

Security Issues
    This site has security measures (SSL) in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. GlobalNova however shall not be responsible for the security of your data or for fraudulent use of credit card to make purchases on this web site nor shall GlobalNova be obligated to make refunds or to provide any compensation where such fraudulent use occurs.

GlobalNova will actively cooperate with law enforcement authorities in prosecuting any one who uses this web site or products/services sold over this web site for unlawful use.

WARRANTY

GlobalNova controls this site. GlobalNova reserves the right to make changes, as and when it deems necessary or appropriate, in any of the terms and conditions or any other information provided on this site.

https://secure1.globaltel.com/arnpre...rmsAndCond.htm "

From the above I see that their connection fee is $0.50 but they bill in the increment of 6 minutes and I wish I can find the other document that they had as it seems to be gone. That document had their per minute cost.
    What does Globalnova have to do with American Roaming Network?

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    Devices

What does Globalnova have to do with American Roaming Network?
    They seem to be the ARN payment processor.

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
    They seem to be the ARN payment processor.
    Exactly and they are owned by the same company too.

Fresh Member

I do not see any kind of ripoff here. If you do not have a cellular plan of any kind, this service sounds great. You can toss an old CDMA phone in the glovebox and be able to make an occasional call on it at a very low annual cost.

The link for purchasing prepaid time shows calls at 1.00 per minute with a 10.00 prepaid card, 33 cents per minute with a 20.00 card and 25 cents a minute with a 30.00 card. It indicates all cards are good for one year. Here is the link. http://www.americanroaming.com/buyprepaid.php

Phone(s)
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Devices
    MP3, GPS & PDA
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Bob View Post
    I do not see any kind of ripoff here. If you do not have a cellular plan of any kind, this service sounds great. You can toss an old CDMA phone in the glovebox and be able to make an occasional call on it at a very low annual cost.

The link for purchasing prepaid time shows calls at 1.00 per minute with a 10.00 prepaid card, 33 cents per minute with a 20.00 card and 25 cents a minute with a 30.00 card. It indicates all cards are good for one year. Here is the link. http://www.americanroaming.com/buyprepaid.php
    Wow a new edition. I only saw the $1 once before and it disapeared. Now I have a question, may be some one would shed some light on it. The say the prices are for out ound only any idea if inbound is alloud and if so how much it will be then?

Use for outbound only long distance service to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.- No Monthly Fees are ever charged - All Calls Are Billed only In One Minute Increments - Accounts Expire One Year After Date of Purchase - No Charges for Calls to 911.

Fresh Member

Only outbound calls work with the system. The history behind it is that the American Roaming Network was designed so that a cell phone subscriber had a way to make a call when he was out of his calling area. This was back when there were few, if any, roaming agreements between cellular companies because they had no way to bill for the calls.

Also, don't forget that if you use it with an inactive phone, you will not have a phone number for someone to call you on. So this will not be something that takes the place of a prepaid plan for most users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information