Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RadioRaiders

Cellphone Spyware to track someones calls and other activity

Spy program snoops on cell phones New software that hides on cell phones and captures call logs and text messages is ...

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Default Cellphone Spyware to track someones calls and other activity

Spy program snoops on cell phones

New software that hides on cell phones and captures call logs and text messages is being sold as a way to monitor kids and spouses. But one security company calls it a Trojan horse.

The FlexiSpy application captures call logs, text messages and mobile Internet activity, among other things. The software, released at the beginning of March, sells for $49.95 and is advertised by Bangkok, Thailand-based Vervata as a tool to monitor kids and unfaithful spouses. The data captured is sent to Vervata's servers and is accessible to customers via a special Web site.

Similar surveillance software for PCs already exists and has raised the ire of groups fighting domestic violence, who fear it may be used by abusive spouses.

FlexiSpy has attracted a different kind of criticism from security company F-Secure, which has labeled the software a Trojan, or a malicious program that disguises itself as something innocuous.

"This application installs itself without any kind of indication as to what it is," Jarno Niemela wrote on the Finnish antivirus maker's corporate blog Wednesday. "And when it is installed on the phone, it completely hides itself from the user."

FlexiSpy could be used by miscreants as part of malicious software that targets phones, Niemela wrote. Alternatively, an attacker could try sending the program to phones via a Bluetooth connection and trust that there are enough curious people to install it. F-Secure has updated its security software for mobile phones to detect the program.

Vervata could not be immediately reached for comment, but in a question-and-answer section of the FlexiSpy Web site, the company insists the program is not malicious.

"FlexiSpy requires to be consciously installed and configured by someone, unlike a Virus or Trojan which spreads automatically without any action," the section reads.

FlexiSpy is available for cell phones that run the Symbian operating system, such as Nokia Series 60 handsets. Vervata plans to release by the end of April a version for Research In Motion's BlackBerry, as well as for devices that run Microsoft's Windows Mobile Pocket PC operating system, according to the company's Web site.

Vervata is still working on "FlexiSpy Pro," which will log e-mail and multimedia messages, in addition to the other data, according to the company's Web site. That version will also include a "monitoring" feature that lets the user call the target cell phone from a preset number and listen in on what's going on in the background, in much the same way a baby monitor works.

Wireless Guru
    Phone(s)
    iphone 3gs 32black
    nokia 6230
    moto,v600
    moto,v551
    Provider(s)
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Devices
    m3000,hs810, Sirius,sportster,w/boombox,
    Images

Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Nokia6682/2.0 (3.01.1) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14

New software that hides on cell phones and captures call logs and text messages is being sold as a way to monitor kids and spouses. But one security company calls it a Trojan horse.

The FlexiSpy application captures call logs, text messages and mobile Internet activity, among other things. The software, released at the beginning of March, sells for $49.95 and is advertised by Bangkok, Thailand-based Vervata as a tool to monitor kids and unfaithful spouses. The data captured is sent to Vervata's servers and is accessible to customers via a special Web site.

Similar surveillance software for PCs already exists and has raised the ire of groups fighting domestic violence, who fear it may be used by abusive spouses.

FlexiSpy has attracted a different kind of criticism from security company F-Secure, which has labeled the software a Trojan, or a malicious program that disguises itself as something innocuous.

"This application installs itself without any kind of indication as to what it is," Jarno Niemela wrote on the Finnish antivirus maker's corporate blog Wednesday. "And when it is installed on the phone, it completely hides itself from the user."

FlexiSpy could be used by miscreants as part of malicious software that targets phones, Niemela wrote. Alternatively, an attacker could try sending the program to phones via a Bluetooth connection and trust that there are enough curious people to install it. F-Secure has updated its security software for mobile phones to detect the program.

Vervata could not be immediately reached for comment, but in a question-and-answer section of the FlexiSpy Web site, the company insists the program is not malicious.

"FlexiSpy requires to be consciously installed and configured by someone, unlike a Virus or Trojan which spreads automatically without any action," the section reads.

FlexiSpy is available for cell phones that run the Symbian operating system, such as Nokia Series 60 handsets. Vervata plans to release by the end of April a version for Research In Motion's BlackBerry, as well as for devices that run Microsoft's Windows Mobile Pocket PC operating system, according to the company's Web site.

Vervata is still working on "FlexiSpy Pro," which will log e-mail and multimedia messages, in addition to the other data, according to the company's Web site. That version will also include a "monitoring" feature that lets the user call the target cell phone from a preset number and listen in on what's going on in the background, in much the same way a baby monitor works.
    Wow thats interesting.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/90674468.png

Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
    ~George Orwell

Fresh Member

Default Re: Cellphone Spyware to track someones calls and other activity

obviously this was to happen... i'd expect more of it in the future

Former Mobile Data Addict MOTOhooligan's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    Motorola XT1030
    Motorola v860 R.I.P.
    Provider(s)
    Western Wireless
    Devices
    Motorola S805
    Images

That is messed up. How is that even legal? I guess if the company can 'prove' that there are legitimate uses (keeping track of your kids) then they can't get sued when it is used for illegal purposes.
    Is it too much to ask for a phone with physical buttons?

Easy,Cheap & Sleazy
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOhooligan
    That is messed up. How is that even legal? I guess if the company can 'prove' that there are legitimate uses (keeping track of your kids) then they can't get sued when it is used for illegal purposes.
    I am sure this will get fought once someone finds out that another person is using it on them. I don't like the idea either even if they use Kids as a reason for parents to track them it doesn't sound right.

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14
    I am sure this will get fought once someone finds out that another person is using it on them. I don't like the idea either even if they use Kids as a reason for parents to track them it doesn't sound right.
    You are right, I agree. It doesn't sound right. It invades their privacy in a way that's too wrong to do I think.

I have arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post

If I use it for employee monitoring. Is it legal?

Resident Spamslayer Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Moto V551, iPAQ 6515
    Western Electric 302, 500
    Ericsson Ericophone
    Provider(s)
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Devices
    Zune 30gb & way too many BT devices to list
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaS View Post
    If I use it for employee monitoring. Is it legal?
    Do you own the phone and pay 100% of the bill? If the answer is yes, then its legal. If you don't own the phones and/or don't pay 100% of the bill, then no, its not legal. I don't recommend doing this though, even if you owned the phones and paid the bill.
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/256739406.png

Provider(s)
    GSM / WCDMA

If you do some kind of "employee monitoring" you should have your employees sign some kind of acknowledgement form, or make them aware in some way that the use of their phone may be monitored. For example, when I log in my work PC, there is a prompt saying that my employer has the right to monitor my e-mails and internet usage to make sure it's in accordance with company policy.
    Jay2TheRescue likes this.
    Understand communications. Visit Radio Raiders
    Plot your own cellular coverage maps at Cellumap <--Apps for BlackBerry / Android / Symbian

I have arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRaiders View Post
    If you do some kind of "employee monitoring" you should have your employees sign some kind of acknowledgement form, or make them aware in some way that the use of their phone may be monitored. For example, when I log in my work PC, there is a prompt saying that my employer has the right to monitor my e-mails and internet usage to make sure it's in accordance with company policy.
    yea, Thanks for your reminding.

I made my first post!

Is it true? I have heard that "iPhone Spy Software" Only Work on a Jailbreak iPhone. i don't think so it's available for iO6 iPhone 5,Is There Any way to Install iPhone Spyware without jail-breaking,It's would nice if you can tell us about some app that can spy without Physical Access?Flexispy,Mobistealth,Mobile-Spy are All required Physical Access as far as i Know.
    Last edited by M in LA; 11-06-2012 at 2:57 AM.

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    Devices
    Palm TX, PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD

If it's not available in the Apple store, you can't install it without jailbreaking.

Thread Information