sprint area code question...

i reside in Los Angeles CA . My current area code is 213 on my home and my phone. So let's ...

Fresh Member

Default sprint area code question...

i reside in Los Angeles CA. My current area code is 213 on my home and my phone. So let's say im in a 310 area code shopping...will that mean that i will have to push 213 then my home # for a total of 10 digits. Or even when i am in the 310 area code may i just put 7 digits without the area code?

I had cingular before this and in cingular you never had to put the area code no matter where you were. At least for me. But i have heard otherwise for Verizonicon and i want to know how it is for Sprinticon.

here in NJ we have 10 digit dialing, we have to put in our area code even if we are in our area code [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

that said, i am pretty sure with Sprintpcsicon if you are out of your phone #'s area code you need to put it in to make a call back, say, to your home as per your example.

your best bet is to program your phone book entries with the area code before each number.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    Provider(s)
    Aio Wireless

I don't think so. I live in an area split by 2 area codes 276 and 423. I frequently travel inbetween them both and my cell phone is a 423 number. Now when I dial a 276 number I always have to dial the 10 digit number no matter which area code side I am in. When dialing a 423 though it doesn't matter I've never had to plug in the area code unless I'm roaming.

I think what will happen is say your area code is 213 on your landline well if you are in a 310 area code I think you should still be to dial your house using the 7 digit number. However if you are dialing a 310 area code from your cell I think in either area you should have to dial the 10 digit number.

Yes you do have to push area codes if you leave your normal area code. That is why i always include area codes when I am putting in phonebook entries. Will save you some button pushing.

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

Not me. I use Sprinticon and never have to dial an area code. For example I live in the 714 (Orange County) area code but if I leave my home area code and travel to let's say 310 in LA, I don't have to dial 714 to make a call back to my home in Orange County. Just the normal 7 digits.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    Provider(s)
    Aio Wireless

I also do not have to dial the area code if I am dialing a 423 number as long as I am in the local area. If I go into the 276 area code I still just have to dial the 7 digit number. The only time I have to dial a area code is when I am roaming or I dial a 276 number cause my cell phone is a 423 number.

man here in NJ we have 10 digit dialing even on our landlines with Verizonicon.

i am in 973 area code.........even if i am on my home phone with 973 area code if i call my next door neighbour i still have to dial 973 + the number........big pain in the tookas

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4
    (Personal & Work)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

I wonder why that is Idiot, seems very stupid. I never heard of that before. Of course DE only has 1 area code for the whole state, landlines and cells included. It's VERY nice.

i dont get it either. we recently added the 862 area code as an overlay for 973.........so i dont understand why you have to dial the area code when you are calling a number in the same area code, the new area code should make that moot really. ask Verizonicon,,,,,,,,it is their decision as they are the local landline provider here in NJ and when i was working at a company in wayne when it took effect we got notices from Verizonicon informing us of the new 10 digit dialing rule.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    Provider(s)
    Aio Wireless

That is odd IdiOTeQnoLogY. My area is set up unusual too though, my area code on my wireless phone is 423 yet my home phone is 276. Even though they are both local to each other I always have to dial the 10 digit number to reach each of them.

i guess its an area thing then

Hey idiot they make you dial in your own area code so people don't get mad about having to dial or not dial one.

for ex: here in Colubus we have 614 but we are going to be adding another area code soon bc 614 is almost full. In order to satisfy the people who get the new area code they make everyone punch in an area code even if it is there own.

Mark

I have arrived!

Originally posted by: finalheaven
    i reside in Los Angeles CA. My current area code is 213 on my home and my phone. So let's say im in a 310 area code shopping...will that mean that i will have to push 213 then my home # for a total of 10 digits. Or even when i am in the 310 area code may i just put 7 digits without the area code?

I had cingular before this and in cingular you never had to put the area code no matter where you were. At least for me. But i have heard otherwise for Verizonicon and i want to know how it is for Sprinticon.
    Whenever I use my friend's Cingular phone (Socal), I have to dial 1+area code+number (same for T-Mobileicon). Sprinticon likes you to dial area code+number (1 is not necessary)--which works well for me when I travel to different states.

The Cell Phone Junkie azcellphonejunkie's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Blackberry Curve 8530
    Treo Pro
    HTC Diamond
    Provider(s)
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    Devices
    Acura GPS, iPAQ rx3100, Bluetooth

Here in Phoenix, we have 3 area codes and I am not required to dial the area code of those in my area code where ever I am in the Phoenix area. However once you get outside the valley you do have to dial your area code to get those in your area code...

Signal Go Down De Hole... ZaphodB's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX5600
    iPhone 3GS
    LG Chocolate GSM
    Provider(s)
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

Just did a test with a Verizonicon phone with a 661 area code but physically located in the 818 area code. Dialled a 661 area code number without the 1+661 at the beginning and it went through.

It is based on what your phone's phone number is, not the area code where you are physically present. Thus, if you don't have to dial 1+213 from your landline phone to another 213 area code number, you won't have to dial it anywhere in California.

Now, if you go, for example, to Texas and are (for whatever reason) not on the same network, you will have to dial the 1+213.

Me, I store all my numbers as (for example) +13107654321 because it was not so long ago that people in the 310 area code had to dial 1+310 for ALL numbers in preparation for the overlay of the 424 area code (which, when it gets rolled out eventually, will be a split, pretty much everything south of the airport in 310 will get the new area code... http://www.nanpa.com for more info). The reason 10- (or 11-) digit dialling is required where two area codes share the same geographic area is because the FCC require it.

Look at it this way. Let's say you're in Manhattan, which has been 212 since area codes first came out, and was recently overlaid with 646. You're a new, say, bagel-and-bialy shop, and you get 646-411-0000. Your chief competitor, however, got lucky and got 212-911-0000, which is in the old area code which people remember. If the FCC did not require ten-digit dialling, your competitor would be at an advantage, since it is easier for people to deal with "911-0000" than "212-911-0000" or "646-411-0000". Requiring all the digits puts the area codes on equal footing, so there's less competitive advantage.

Like it? Fine. Don't like it? Complain to the FCC and the NYPSC. It's worth noting that this is the case in every overlaid area code EXCEPT 917 (which is also New York City)... it was a test case for the FCC to allow cell phones and pagers to be assigned to their own area code (which, I believe, failed, as there are no further cell-only area codes). This is why when you call a New York City cell number, no matter which of the 5 boroughs the owner is from, chances are that the phone's area code will be 917, and why there wasn't compulsory 10-digit dialling until they overlaid the landline area codes (212, 718) with new codes (646, 347 respectively). Note that from anywhere on the former Bell Atlantic's network, ten-digit dialling will work.

For wandering around SoCal, you can just dial the 7-digit number and Verizonicon's network will pick it up and automagically complete the call. You might, however, want to give serious thought to storing numbers in your phone book as +1213XXXXXXX or whatever.
    I can help you in English. Puedo ayudarle en espa˝ol. Je peux vous aider en franšais. Posso aiutarli in italiano. Ich kann Sie auf Deutsch helfen. Я могу помочь вам по-русски.

I can say for Verizonicon it depenends on where your at. In SoCal they got it split betwen SD and LA distritcs. in NorCal, NV, and HI its done by area code. Out side of that area its a little fuzzy...at least for the 12 western states.

Thread Information