Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SamsungDave

Buying Phone Full Price

I am currently off contract with unlimited data month to month. Since I would like to keep unlimited and stay month ...

Posting up a storm!

Default Buying Phone Full Price

I am currently off contract with unlimited data month to month. Since I would like to keep unlimited and stay month to month, plan to buy HTC DNA full price. I checked into Amazonicon Wireless which is about $40 cheaper than buying it from Verizonicon, but on emailing Amazon, they make it seem like I would have to go to Verizonicon to get the SIM card anyway and that if travelling internationally, I would have to get GSM card from Verizon. Seems like it would be worth the extra $40 just to buy the phone full price from Verizon, have them activate from the get go, transfer my insurance, and give me a GSM SIM for future travel on the spot.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had experience activating on Verizon, a phone bought through Amazon? I am worried that somehow buying from a 3rd party will get me second class treatment from Verizon. Thanks in advance!

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Samsung Gusto 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Images

Default Re: Buying Phone Full Price

Quote Originally Posted by SamsungDave View Post
    I am currently off contract with unlimited data month to month. Since I would like to keep unlimited and stay month to month, plan to buy HTC DNA full price. I checked into Amazonicon Wireless which is about $40 cheaper than buying it from Verizonicon, but on emailing Amazon, they make it seem like I would have to go to Verizonicon to get the SIM card anyway and that if travelling internationally, I would have to get GSM card from Verizon. Seems like it would be worth the extra $40 just to buy the phone full price from Verizon, have them activate from the get go, transfer my insurance, and give me a GSM SIM for future travel on the spot.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had experience activating on Verizon, a phone bought through Amazon? I am worried that somehow buying from a 3rd party will get me second class treatment from Verizon. Thanks in advance!
    I have bought phones from Amazon and activated on Verizon with no problems. When buying a new LTE phone, the SIM card should be included in the box. If you have a LTE SIM, it should work in the new phone (unless yours is too big). In the unlikely event that there isn't a SIM, Verizon will help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.
    Follow me here.

Reluctantly proud Verizon Wireless user since 2005.

GO BRAVES!!!!!!

Contract Cellular history: Verizon: 2005 to present, Sprint 2001 - 2003
    Prepaid history: Alltel/Verizon 2005 to present; T-Mobile: Off and on since 1999; AT&T 2003 - 2005

Posting up a storm!
    Threadstarter

Thanks again. I just wanted to provide an update for all on the forum.

For my wife's Droid DNA, we needed it in a hurry so we brought the phone full price from the Verizonicon store. The salesperson screwed up though, and did not carry over our (grandfathered) unlimited plan. I ended up calling Verizonicon, who confirmed that we did purchase full price and reactivated our unlimited plan. Next time around for my GS4, I purchased from Amazonicon but the SIM card did not come with the phone. Took it to the Verizon store with my receipt who were happy to activate it and I made double certain the unlimited plan was grandfathered in.

So 1) there is really no problem taking a phone purchased full price into Verizon for activation, still got great service from the sales staff; 2) If ordering from Amazonicon, make sure you also tell them to send you the SIM card if you want to activate at home. There is no way to indicate this on the order as best as I can tell, so you may have to call customer service; 3) Once activated, worth a call to Verizon customer service to make sure you keep your prior plan, especially if you are grandfathered for unlimited.
    Quint101 likes this.

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Samsung Gusto 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Images

Thanks for the update! I wondered why the salesperson needed to make changes to the plan... All he needed to do was to activate the new SIM.

My Note 2 I bought from Amazonicon back in February didn't have a SIM, but I already had a compatible SIM. I just plugged the SIM into the phone and that was that.

Glad that Verizonicon helped you as they were supposed to.

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH i605
    Follow me here.

Reluctantly proud Verizon Wireless user since 2005.

GO BRAVES!!!!!!

Contract Cellular history: Verizon: 2005 to present, Sprint 2001 - 2003
    Prepaid history: Alltel/Verizon 2005 to present; T-Mobile: Off and on since 1999; AT&T 2003 - 2005

Thread Information