Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad ESN, what does it mean?

Looking at a cell that I want but I have been told that the cell has a bad ESN but the ...

Shoulda joined long ago!

Default Bad ESN, what does it mean?

Looking at a cell that I want but I have been told that the cell has a bad ESN but the phone is brand new. What does it mean? Can it be activated?!

Phone(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless (since 1994)

Default Re: Bad ESN, what does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Israel82 View Post
    Looking at a cell that I want but I have been told that the cell has a bad ESN but the phone is brand new. What does it mean? Can it be activated?!
    It would help if you could provide more information. Are you buying the phone from someone? From e-Bay? Has Verizonicon specifically told you the ESN is bad?
    PacTel Cellular (1994) became AIRTOUCH (1994-2000) which became verizonwireless (2000-Present)

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Mike View Post
    It would help if you could provide more information. Are you buying the phone from someone? From e-Bay? Has Verizonicon specifically told you the ESN is bad?
    Ebay..... Dude, says phone is new but bad ESN....

Brand NEW Verizon Wireless Samsung SCH-i760 Smartphone - eBay (item 130187174915 end time Jan-07-08 14:33:39 PST)

Woot Woot, Splat !!! KyleAndMelissa22's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG AX4270 (x2)
    LG AX390 (backup)
    Pantech PN-218
    Provider(s)
    Allied Wireless d/b/a ALLTEL (SID 114, NID 7)
    Devices
    Grundig S350DL~ Kodak EasyShare~Seagate 500GB
    Images

The ESN is probably attached to a bad account, (one in which alot of money is owed.)
    They won't activate a phone (ESN) if it is, or was attached to an accout with a large unpaid balance.

CDMA....Coming soon to a tower near you!

Alltel user since September 5, 2006 - I'm proud to still be with them !!!

Phone(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Provider(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KyleAndMelissa22 View Post
    The ESN is probably attached to a bad account, (one in which alot of money is owed.)
    They won't activate a phone (ESN) if it is, or was attached to an account with a large unpaid balance.
    There's your answer. It would explain why the seller is trying to get rid of it. Stay away from this one.
    PacTel Cellular (1994) became AIRTOUCH (1994-2000) which became verizonwireless (2000-Present)

Woot Woot, Splat !!! KyleAndMelissa22's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG AX4270 (x2)
    LG AX390 (backup)
    Pantech PN-218
    Provider(s)
    Allied Wireless d/b/a ALLTEL (SID 114, NID 7)
    Devices
    Grundig S350DL~ Kodak EasyShare~Seagate 500GB
    Images

There's your answer. It would explain why the seller is trying to get rid of it. Stay away from this one.
    Yup, and the Alltel reps at the store in Gaffney told me this info last week about buying on ebay,
    I thought they were just trying to stop me from buying on ebay, and I should buy retail instead.

We have already bought 2 of our phones through ebay, and were thinking of buying another.
    I didn't think about this situation as a possibility, now I know to be careful.

CDMA....Coming soon to a tower near you!

Alltel user since September 5, 2006 - I'm proud to still be with them !!!

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    SLVR L6, v710
    E815, E816(ampd)
    LG 380, 8600
    Provider(s)
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Devices
    Garmin eTrex Vista Cx, Bluetooth headset

To be fair, if they list it as bad esn in big red letters then it is the buyer that messed up. There is a market for bad esn phones for parts, etc...

and no i'm not the seller....i just noticed it was from oak park, mi.
    www.ALLTELLIVES.com
    My words of wisdom and random thoughts....Doesn't matter how many people are on a network, you can only use one phone at a time...ok maybe two...

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Provider(s)
    Sprint

and if the ad doesnt say that the ESN is clear what you can do is contact the seller and ask for the ESN and then you can call Verizonicon and see if its clear.........most sellers will give it to you cuz there isnt much you can do with just the ESN
    Everything Plus 500: 500 Flexible Anytime Minutes, UNLIMITED Nights and Weekends (7PM), UNLIMITED Mobile to Mobile, UNLIMITED Power Vision, UNLIMITED Messaging (Text/Picture/Video), Pick 3

New England Wireless Guru
    Phone(s)
    9530, v3xx
    6230, 2126
    i335, M1000
    e815
    Provider(s)
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP

The link shown has a referral ID in it, someone is trying to Boosticon their ad count. Link should be changed to reference e-bay directly, or better yet, just post the item ID.
    --
    Visit my New England Cell Phone Pages at http://www.cellguru.net

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Provider(s)
    Sprint

yeah thats the way it looks

ITEM ID: 130187174915
    Everything Plus 500: 500 Flexible Anytime Minutes, UNLIMITED Nights and Weekends (7PM), UNLIMITED Mobile to Mobile, UNLIMITED Power Vision, UNLIMITED Messaging (Text/Picture/Video), Pick 3

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    LG VX8350
    LG VX5200
    Samsung SCH-u540
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Sansa e260

When I listed my old phones on Craig's List buyers wanted the ESN information as well. At first I was concerned but then I realized why they wanted the info and that in the end they really couldn't do anything with the information other than verify it was an ESN that could be activated on their account.

I don't think it's a bad idea to post an ESN on your listing, but I would think that it would be better to have potential buyers request the ESN instead of just broadcasting it. People out to scam could be/would be dumb enough to try and copy your "clean" ESN to try and sell their unusable device.

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Provider(s)
    Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by leafsfan81 View Post
    When I listed my old phones on Craig's List buyers wanted the ESN information as well. At first I was concerned but then I realized why they wanted the info and that in the end they really couldn't do anything with the information other than verify it was an ESN that could be activated on their account.

I don't think it's a bad idea to post an ESN on your listing, but I would think that it would be better to have potential buyers request the ESN instead of just broadcasting it. People out to scam could be/would be dumb enough to try and copy your "clean" ESN to try and sell their unusable device.
    that does make sense.....sounds like a very viable strategy.......or they'll change the ESN of another phone to be the same as the phone on the eBay listing......it's been known to happen like that.....cell phone counterfeiting

I have arrived!
    Phone(s)
    Moto Q
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Magellan Explorist 210, HP Pavilion laptop

Electronic Serial Number - Its the unit identifier. If you look inside the battery compartment, you'll find it listed as DEC and HEX. Its what tells the cell towers who you are. Also, it is "hardwired" and can't be changed without major software work.

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    LG VX8350
    LG VX5200
    Samsung SCH-u540
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Sansa e260

Good point, but people would still try it. [As unsuccessful as they may be]

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Provider(s)
    Sprint

its a lot easier to do IMEIs so i understand

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Phone(s)
    Samsung Alias
    Provider(s)
    VERIZON

I have a Verizonicon phone, samsung alias, and its been waterdamged, but the buttons dried up and 90% of the buttons work...

I'm bidding on another one, with a "BAD ESN", but everything works, I'm with Verizonicon and in good terms with them, don't owe a lot of money, can i use my ESN from my waterdamaged phone with the new one?? Or does anyone know a way I can replace parts?

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

Hi there, you cannot switch ESN, they are unique to each handset.

I would stay away from an unit with bad ESN unless you are only interested in the parts & are not interested in activating it.

Hopefully someone can answer your repair question.

Good luck.
    Palm850/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Phone(s)
    Samsung Alias
    Provider(s)
    VERIZON

Thank you! that helps, & I do hope someone can answer my repair question.. I might try posting in a more specific thread as well. Thanks again!!!

a.mae

Phone(s)
    LG Voyager
    Provider(s)
    Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by amaemae View Post
    I have a Verizonicon phone, samsung alias, and its been waterdamged, but the buttons dried up and 90% of the buttons work...

I'm bidding on another one, with a "BAD ESN", but everything works, I'm with Verizonicon and in good terms with them, don't owe a lot of money, can i use my ESN from my waterdamaged phone with the new one?? Or does anyone know a way I can replace parts?
    If you send both of the phones to me I can swap out your liquid damaged keypad for the one in the replacement phone that has the bad ESN. $10.00 (your special forum member discount price!)+ $6.50 insured return shipping via USPS priority mail.

You can visit my website at...

G-Force Wireless

Or email me directly at...

*email deleted -> use PM for contact*

Please be sure to mention the wireless advisor forum in your email.
    Last edited by M in LA; 10-09-2009 at 2:41 AM. Reason: don't post email addresses

Shoulda joined long ago!

I'm looking the phone in ebay also and it has bad esn in Sprinticon. But if I flashing the phone to Metro PCSicon, Does the esn gonna be any problems to flash the phone?
    Anyone can help me?

Quote Originally Posted by qiewie99 View Post
    I'm looking the phone in ebay also and it has bad esn in Sprinticon. But if I flashing the phone to Metro PCSicon, Does the esn gonna be any problems to flash the phone?
    Anyone can help me?
    It means you prolly shouldnt buy it...

Shoulda joined long ago!

okay then.
    thank you

I made my first post!

Quote Originally Posted by qiewie99 View Post
    I'm looking the phone in ebay also and it has bad esn in Sprinticon. But if I flashing the phone to Metro pcs, Does the esn gonna be any problems to flash the phone?
    Anyone can help me?
    Do companies like Sprinticon, Verizonicon, and Metro pcs share bad ESN numbers?
    If they don't and the phone is dirt cheap and you have the firmware to flash, I would think it would work.
    I already did this with a Sprint phone with a good ESN to Verizonicon.

Quote Originally Posted by dsuh View Post
    Do companies like Sprinticon, Verizonicon, and Metro pcs share bad ESN numbers?
    If they don't and the phone is dirt cheap and you have the firmware to flash, I would think it would work.
    I already did this with a Sprinticon phone with a good ESN to Verizonicon.

they dont... however ...

if the previous owner tried to flash it and done it wrong the phone is likely bricked

I have arrived!

Can you still use a bad ESN phone as a PDA? I'm looking for one to use as a remote desktop controller for my home theater PC. I need Windows Mobile 6 and WiFi. I don't need the phone.

Will a bad ESN phone work for me?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-char

Phone(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Provider(s)

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Can you still use a bad ESN phone as a PDA? I'm looking for one to use as a remote desktop controller for my home theater PC. I need Windows Mobile 6 and WiFi. I don't need the phone.

Will a bad ESN phone work for me?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-char
    A bad ESN affects activation with a carrier. If you're not activating a phone, just using the PDA portion of it, you should be fine. Syncing with a PC and using WiFi for internet are fine since you don't need service to use these features.
    Last edited by M in LA; 11-07-2009 at 8:35 PM.

I have arrived!

A bad ESN affects activation with a carrier. If you're not activation a phone, just using the PDA portion of it, you should be fine. Syncing with a PC and using WiFi for internet are fine since you don't need service to use these features.
    Thanks, Mike.
    -char

No more newbie here!

hello everyone
    as a thread is about bad esn, i want to ask two question

if i buy for example this one from ebay (or some other online store) and i will not activate it, what will happen?

A bad ESN affects activation with a carrier. If you're not activating a phone, just using the PDA portion of it, you should be fine. Syncing with a PC and using WiFi for internet are fine since you don't need service to use these features.
    this is answer on my first question ???

second question: what will ,if i take unactivated phone outside usa ?

Phone(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Provider(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jkjambo View Post
    hello everyone
    as a thread is about bad esn, i want to ask two question

if i buy for example this one from ebay (or some other online store) and i will not activate it, what will happen?

this is answer on my first question ???

second question: what will ,if i take unactivated phone outside usa ?
    First off, GSM phones don't use ESN's for activation, just a SIM card from the carrier you activate it on, whether prepaid or postpaid.

ESN issues affect CDMA phones, specifically with carriers Verizonicon, Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, US Cellular, and other smaller regional CDMA carriers. None of these carriers use SIM cards to activate their phones (or for basic operation, unlike GSM phones).

If you get the Captivate, your phone would work in another country with GSM service. The only issue you could run into is if the phone is locked to AT&Ticon. You want to get an UNLOCKED Captivate. GSM carriers, like AT&Ticon and T-Mobile lock phones on their respective networks to discourage use on other GSM carriers.

Nowhere in that eBay auction does it say it's unlocked. Verify that with the seller first.

One last thing. If you wish to use even basic features of the phone, you WILL NEED data service. To try to use the Captivate (or any Android phone, for that matter) without a data plan severely restricts what the phone does and renders it just a phone, for which you'd be better off using a regular flip phone for.

Keep in mind you may need to configure it to get it to work on a non-native carrier, as this phone is programmed to work with AT&T. Not impossible to do, but just be forewarned.

No more newbie here!

First off, GSM phones don't use ESN's for activation, just a SIM card from the carrier you activate it on, whether prepaid or postpaid.

ESN issues affect CDMA phones, specifically with carriers Verizonicon, Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, US Cellular, and other smaller regional CDMA carriers. None of these carriers use SIM cards to activate their phones (or for basic operation, unlike GSM phones).

If you get the Captivate, your phone would work in another country with GSM service. The only issue you could run into is if the phone is locked to AT&Ticon. You want to get an UNLOCKED Captivate. GSM carriers, like AT&Ticon and T-Mobile lock phones on their respective networks to discourage use on other GSM carriers.

Nowhere in that eBay auction does it say it's unlocked. Verify that with the seller first.

One last thing. If you wish to use even basic features of the phone, you WILL NEED data service. To try to use the Captivate (or any Android phone, for that matter) without a data plan severely restricts what the phone does and renders it just a phone, for which you'd be better off using a regular flip phone for.

Keep in mind you may need to configure it to get it to work on a non-native carrier, as this phone is programmed to work with AT&T. Not impossible to do, but just be forewarned.
    thanks for answer, it is clear.
    i'm asking , because i'm interested in this case >if i buy it in usa and than take away outside usa , will be violation of rules of goverment or some carriers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information