Best signal strength

I live in uptown Manhattan and have been trying out Verizon as my wireless provider. I switched from T-Mobile because that ...

I have arrived!

Default Best signal strength

I live in uptown Manhattan and have been trying out Verizonicon as my wireless provider. I switched from T-Mobile because that one was completely dead indoors, and I was told that Verizonicon was the best. However, I still have the hardest time using Verizon from inside my apartment. Almost every call I make is eventually lost and the conversations are very choppy. I know that they say that they can't guarantee indoor coverage, but most of my colleagues are able to rely solely on a mobile phone (no home phones) and I was hoping I could do the same.

My AT&Ticon prepaid actually works better in my apartment, no voice choppiness and more bars. But I am hesitant to make yet another switch because I hear that Verizon is really better than AT&Ticon overall.

I have two questions here:

1.) Can anyone who's recently tried both Verizon and AT&T, specifically in the NYC area, share his/her experience?

2.) I have an LG8300vx. In one of the many calls I made to technical support, I was told that a Motorola might work better. Are there any specific models that provide better signal strength than others? I've read some old threads, but those were from almost a year ago and I figure things change.

Would very much appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks!

Fresh Member
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Default Re: Best signal strength

I had AT&Ticon and switched to Verizonicon about 3 months ago. I actually found that AT&T's coverage was just as good, if not better, than Verizonicon in many places. If AT&T works better in your apartment then go with it. AT&T has a solid network in NYC. Don't worry about all the Verizon hype.

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ansky View Post
    I had AT&Ticon and switched to Verizonicon about 3 months ago. I actually found that AT&T's coverage was just as good, if not better, than Verizonicon in many places. If AT&T works better in your apartment then go with it. AT&T has a solid network in NYC. Don't worry about all the Verizon hype.

I agree & if your pre-paid phone works fine where you go & need the phone you will be fine since you will always be on the native AT&T network in NYC & the surrounding area's.
    The only thing you may want to consider is if you go to places outside the city on a regular basis is to compare the 2 & make sure AT&T will work for you in those areas as well.

As for switching to a Motorola with Verizon, I think you have one of the better phones with Verizon now (yes there are better but I don't know exactly which ones) I don't think it will make any difference for you.

As long as your in your trial period, then check out the AT&T pre-paid coverage & make the decision before the trial runs out & you are stuck with the Verizon phone especially if your not happy with it.

I have arrived!
    Threadstarter

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and made the leap to AT&Ticon and so far am satisfied. Had the WORST experience returning the phone to Verizonicon, though. What a rude rep and manager. I'm never going back.

Phone(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by LLane View Post
    I went ahead and made the leap to AT&Ticon and so far am satisfied. Had the WORST experience returning the phone to Verizonicon, though. What a rude rep and manager. I'm never going back.
    Whatever works best for you. Since you're paying the bill, that's what matters the most. Good luck with your new service.
    PacTel Cellular (1994) became AIRTOUCH (1994-2000) which became verizonwireless (2000-Present)

Phone(s)
    LG EV 3
    LG 5200
    LG vx 10
    net 10
    Provider(s)
    VZw

Quote Originally Posted by LLane View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and made the leap to AT&Ticon and so far am satisfied. Had the WORST experience returning the phone to Verizonicon, though. What a rude rep and manager. I'm never going back.
    I have found good and bad reps at most of the carriers. Keep us posted on how your pick works out. Good Luck.
    Phones before cellular existed ( IMTS) car phones; 1977, Motorola Pulsar 1, (with a dial) 1982 Motorola Pulsar 2.

Thread Information