1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WEST U.S. -- Why does AT&T charge for land line incoming calls?

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by jfisher785, Sep 28, 2012.

1. jfisher785

jfisher785 New Member

Before I say anything else, I'm talking about phone calls from family and businesses in the US, NOT International calls. With that being said...

I just signed up for the AT&T Family plan 700 minutes shared, unlimited TXTing, mobile to ANY mobile free, and 5 GB data not shared.

I have two phones, one smart Samsung Galaxy Note and a standard flip phone. My first bill was over $200 which I expected with activation fees and junk. But my second bill was $258. I had to be unscrewed from the ceiling when I read it. :mad: Come to find out the incoming calls from my bank, my house and so forth are deducted from my 700 minutes. I was told that ALL incoming calls were free when I signed up, but 611 told me they were wrong. Only M2M were free incoming.

This is unacceptable! How can a company get away with double charging for airtime? I pay for the call coming from my house land line and I have to pay to receive it? Not only is this wrong but I believe it's also illegal.:headscrat

Does anyone have any ideas as to why and how they get away with this?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I don't know. Incoming calls from landlines have always deducted from my minutes. (unless they were AT&T landlines) My uncle's landline is counted as M2M because he has TV, Phone, and Internet from AT&T. Nextel is the only carrier I know of that had all incoming calls free. They still weren't free though as Nextel bills were extremely high. I don't think they still offer free incoming calls anymore though.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung Note3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    For a while, it has been discontinued, ATT offered a service where you could list ANY phone number (within USA) and calls from/to it would be included as if they were M2M. What i would suggest is that, at least on your Samsung smartphone, you start using Skype and have the landline callers (hopefully near a computer) use Skype to call you. That should save you a huge hunk-a-money.

BTW, as a former IT person inside ATT, completely removed from any direct customer interaction, I would get that complaint a lot from people that know me. All I could do was to educate them on what the service entailed. I don't think the other carriers are and different with this policy. In reality, it is not double-charging. Your landline is not being billed to call your cell phones (as long as they are within the same LATA. However, you are correct about being billed for both incoming and outgoing.

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Another thing to point out, whether the call is incoming, or outgoing, you are using the air time.

5. Quint101

Quint101 THE (Samsung) Beast

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Not sure whether AT&T still offers the Unity plan. It included unlimited calling to/from AT&T landlines in addition to the AT&T cells. If I recall correctly, you had to reside in an area that offers AT&T landline service. Maybe you should inquire about it. The cost was $20 or so above the regular plan.

Another option is to go with the unlimited minutes plan, or switch to Mobile Share (which has unlimited calling) if you can manage your data usage.