1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What companies use Verizon Towers?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by Chris611, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Chris611

Chris611 New Member

I live in a small central IL town (Mackinaw). I currently have Cingular and cannot make a call from home. Last year a Verizon tower was installed in town. I am considering switching service to Verizon so I can use my phone at home. I am wondering what other companies also use Verizon towers, so I can evaluate their plans.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Dogma

Dogma Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel/Verizon
    Not exactly sure what your asking. Are you inquiring who co-locates on Verizon towers or curious who roams on Verizon's system in your area? If Verizon did in fact put a site up near your home they would probably be a good option for you.

3. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think Chris611 wants to know who roams on Verizon's towers in Central Illinois....but I may be wrong. :confused:

Usually Alltel roams on Verizon, and in some markets Sprint roams on them....but I am not sure about the other roaming partners.

Hopefully someone familiar with the area can confirm the partners that roam on Verizon. :)

4. Chris611

Chris611 New Member

Thanks guys.

Yes, I was looking to see who roams on Verizon's towers. I worry that if Altel is roaming on the tower, and it happens to get a signal from it's home network, if it will not switch over to roam on the local tower?

Thanks
    Chris

5. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    Voyager VX-10000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Phones favor their home carrier, so if your phone can lock onto 1 bar (or less!) of Sprint, Alltel ect "home" signal, that VZW tower will be of no use.
    Your best bet for no problems in your area would be to get Verizon, if you are sure they are the only carrier with a close tower in your area.
    Take a close look at the tower to see if another companies panels are also co-located on the tower (usually another set would be 6 to 25 feet or so below the VZW panels), & you may have another choice.

6. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Anyone who is a CDMA provider will usally roam on Verizon network. So US Cellular, Sprint PCS, Alltel, and many others will.
    In your area Alltel does not have a license, so no network nor a local phone number can be done.
    Sprint PCS is in your area, if you choose Free and Clear you can roam on Verizon.
    US Cellular is the A block provider and Verizon the B block provider for Cellular in your area.
    if you get a regoinal plan with US Cellular you can roam on Verizon.
    Looks like you are near the boarder between US Cellular's Cellular and PCS networks you where. US Cellular's PCS network is east of where you live.

Verizon rarely does Co-locate for various reasons, but still does it. If the tower is owned by a tower rental company like American Tower or Crown Castel, Verizon will put there equipment on it and so will others. If that tower is owned by Verizon I will give it 20% chance Sprint or others are on it.