1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon - Can't receive calls!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by kewtoo, Feb 14, 2003.

1. kewtoo

kewtoo New Member

Would love your opinions. I switched to Verizon a few months ago and up until yesterday have been ecstatically happy with the reception quality over AT&T who I had for many years.

Yesterday at work (major metro area, no problems with signal strength), My phone is sitting on my desk (where it usually does) and was unusally quiet all day. I get home and at about 8pm the phone starts beeping saying I have 4 new voice mails but doesn't show any newly received calls. Turns out I missed 4, possibly more, calls yesterday from at least 9am on, 1 was VERY important. My office is 25 miles from my home, and my home is in a more rural area, not full strength signal usually but just down a bar or two and always digital.

So I call customer support last night from my home(who's says my problem is their problem). They do some troubleshooting and tell me it looks like a tower problem. They couldn't get calls to me either, but I can dial anywhere, no problem. The guy had me put the phone in analog only and that was the only time it received a call. They tell me they will log a trouble ticket and get back to me today. I tell them I'm on the road tomorrow (today) and need to make sure the phone works. They tell me that's the best they can do.

So I'm traveling today and figure I will check voice mail FREQUENTLY only to find out that some how last night my voice mail got turned off. I call them and they tell me how to turn it back on but don't know how it got disabled (don't know how many more calls I missed now..). Then I ask for a status of the problem I reported. They tell me it will be at least 12 hours for a technician to even start working on the problem and that it could be 3 or 4 days before they get back to me!! So I'm not going to have access to incoming calls for almost a week? I also ask why the phone when at work AND at home doesn't work if it's a tower problem as I would think there is more than 1 tower involved within that distance. They can't answer. I asked to speak to a manager who basically just told me too bad that's the way it is and it will be several days before you will have service again. What is this?

I did have a friend try my phone while I was traveling today and it seemed to ring right away. I got back to my home and called it and the FIRST time it rang. I waited a minute and tried it again and now all subsequent calls don't ring on the phone. Very strange. I'm VERY UPSET with the fact that my problem IS NOT their problem and that they must have so many problems that it takes 24 hours (from the time I originally called) to even get someone to start working on this! Not receiving incoming calls is a pretty serious problem (that's their business isn't it?) Only conincidence is that I recently purchased the larger battery for my phone (V60i). Can't imagine this would be causing this but it's a data point.

Any thoughts, ideas or comments? Should I just tell Verizon to take their contract and shove it or am I 'stuck' with them. I do have my cell # on all my new business material and would have to eat the cost of all that printing as well. I really thought Verizon had better service than this. I find this highly unnacceptable and their responses were deplorable and disconnected depending on who you talked to.

Are they really this bad all the time?

2. xtoddler2

xtoddler2 Junior Member

Are you sure your with Verizon and not Sprint PCS, that sounds like something Sprint would say to someone!

3. Phony

Phony Junior Member

Can you hear me now.....

4. SprintRocks

SprintRocks Junior Member

Sound like Verizon to me. Thats why the have "Can you hear me now" in their commericals they want you to get used to say "Can you hear me now" You spend most of your time saying Can you here me now with Verizon. Sorry to hear your having such a problem. Cancel your service and come see us at Sprint we will take care of you.

5. ockidd15

ockidd15 Senior Member

LOL, its not like Sprint has a great CC dept...

6. gudel

gudel Junior Member

tried different phone yet?

7. kewtoo

kewtoo New Member

Update:

If you are in the Colorado (Colorado Springs area) it appears there are many folks effected. I walked into the store last night and there were three other people in there with the same problem. They had just sold a new phone to a lady to fix 'her problem' but the same thing was occuring on the new phone. I wonder how many other poor folks were told 'oh it's your equipment, you need a new phone' over this. The rep I talked to said many people had been in the store in the last day reporting this also. You call customer support and they say 'oh we aren't aware of any problems your area, we will log a trouble ticket'. Two rep's were on the phone with tech support for their customers and it was hilarous as they were having them do the same troubleshooting - it's not the phones, it's the network!!

I called again for status on my problem last night - they said they would call me back. No calls back and I still can't reliably receive calls. How does this company stay in business?

BTW: Can't use Sprint, I travel via road too much and they don't have an acceptable rural coverage area. It's AT&T or Verizon. AT&T reception is horrible at my home that's why I switched - kicking myself now! Verizon's customer support advertising is just a flat lie. When they can't solve your problem easily, it becomes completely YOUR problem and that's just too bad as far as they are concerned...

If you are in Colorado, check your ability to receive calls!

8. xtoddler2

xtoddler2 Junior Member

Here is a bit of information that you might also be able to use..

Its not a complete useless tidbit, and its not too far off of what you can do...and it might even help.

Turn on your phone
    Dial *228
    It SHOULD say something about programming on the screen, and something about an Over The Air PRL Update.

Basically what this does, is it reprograms your phone with the old, and new towers, and all the roaming towers. PRL stands for Prefered Roaming List.

If it doesnt work, call 611 Verizon and ask them to do an OTC PRL Update. They will flag your phone, so next time you dial 611, it will update...or something like that.

When I deleted all my towers from my Sprint phone, I had to go to a Sprint store, update Sprint towers, then have an OTC PRL update to finish the rest. It was complex, and annoying to have to go to a store, but if it works, then hey.

Thats the only thing I can tell you. If it still doesnt work, there is definately a problem on the network.

9. Phony

Phony Junior Member

It sounds as if its a network issue. These things are annoying but usually get resolved quickly and unfortunately happens to all carriers. Verizon is a top-notch carrier and your best bet would be to ride it out. Try to milk them for some credits though.

10. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Kewtoo that stinks! They should have it fixed shortly. In my area they always do things to their towers at 12am-6am when it's not a problem. I would call and ask for some discount for this month since your phone is not working as advertised. I am sure this will be a one time thing, and hopefully they get it resolved quickly. I know that doesn't fix anything though [​IMG]

11. kewtoo

kewtoo New Member

It 'appears' the problem is fixed. Got VM on my cell this morning asking me if I was receiving calls okay. In other areas I was, just not working in about a 50 mile radius of my home.

They gave me a week credit but the phone was almost not working for that long. That isn't much icentive to keep me as a customer. I wouldn't pay for that period anyway as I wasn't getting was I was paying for!

I'll always be nervous now about missing calls on Verizon's network... Verizon's CC is the worst...

Thanks for all the input and help!

12. kewtoo

kewtoo New Member

Just an update that the problem is NOT FIXED! So it has been over a week now and I still can't receive calls. I call every day and they tell me myself and many others are effected and they are 'working' on it!

Is this enough to get me out of my contract? Anyone know? This is total BS!

13. Phony

Phony Junior Member

That's a shame. I did a SIM replacement on my girlfriends phone and there was an 'error' in the system and she was without a phone for one week. It seemed like an eternity and I heard about everyday. End result was the problem was fixed. If you're happy w/your phone and rate plan just ride it out. It sounds like its a major annoyance but every carrier has minor hickups here and there.