1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"unlocked" cellphones for metro PCS?

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by xman, Jan 16, 2006.

1. xman

xman New Member

I been wondering if i could use those "unlocked" cellphones that are widely sold in eBay with metro PCS and why metro pcs phones dont have a sim card?
    i have never really understand the sim card concept and if you can actually find a "unlocked" sim card as well.
    so i just need to know, can i used those phones with metro pcs?
    i just dont like the crapy phones that metro pcs has to offer and not to mention the prices. help please!

2. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

Those "unlocked" phones you see on eBay are GSM digital phones, that require a SIM (subscriber identity module) which holds the account number that the network knows you by. The SIM can be moved from phone to phone, no notice to the service provider required.

MetroPCS uses CDMA digital phones, a different digital standard. The account identifying number is the ESN, electronic serial number, and is manufactured into the phone, and is not changable. This is why when you change phones in this system, the service provider has to be notified of the new phone's ESN.

Most CDMA service providers will only accept into service those phones that have been manufactured for them, and marked with their name. So if you see a used phone with features you like better than their current new phone offerings, buy it and activate it. Some time ago, I activated a used Cricket phone I had purchased at a second hand store. All I needed was a credit card to bill to.

COtech

3. wak000

wak000 New Member

i have a pda (loox 720) and i was wondering if it possible to transfer the ESN from my metropcs phone to my pda, so i can use it as a cell phone?

4. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Your Loox 720 should have it's own ESN. You will just need to program the PDA with your MDN, MIN and home SID, then call your service provider to have an ESN change performed on your account so the PDA will also function as a phone.

You cannot take the ESN from your phone and put it in your PDA. Each device has it's own ESN.

5. wak000

wak000 New Member

is there any guide on how to do what you wrote

program the pda with my mdn

i am sorry but what is mdn or min

thanks man

6. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

MDN stands for Mobile Directory Number and that's your phone number.

MIN stands for Mobile Identity Number and it may be the same as your MDN or it may not be. If you have a ported number it will not be, but even if your MDN is not ported it still may be different from your MIN.

SID stands for System ID and is your home network.

Programming methods are different for each manufacturer and, sometimes, for each model of phone or PDA. I don't have info on your PDA, you would have to look that up elsewhere.

7. mima314

mima314 New Member

I bought from ebay a razar v3, it came unlocked but the menu is from cingular and I have suncom. The sim card works but I want the real Motorola menu not cingulares. What can I do?

8. MotoE815

MotoE815 New Member

dunno if anyone is gonna read this, i also have metro pcs service, i was curious about a few threads i read, u say gsm is not compatible with cdma, nor sims yada yada yada, what if i get a unlocked CDMA phone, can that phone be used with metro pcs service?

9. jamparras

jamparras New Member

right now I have Metro PCS services with a samsung R560, for real, no complain with service either with the cell, but i have a htc with windows mobil 6.1 and also can be used as PDA (pocket PC), is htc possible be used with Metro PC?, I like htc features, are easy to use.

10. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

What model/technology is the Windows Mobile phone?

11. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member

You need to call MetroPCS or go to one of their stores and ask if they can activate it on their network. They're the only ones who can tell you for sure.

12. jamparras

jamparras New Member

htc I have has windows mobile 6.1 Professional, CE OS 5.2.20269 (build 20269.1.3.0) (R) 2008 Microsoft Corporation, model ELF0100, software based on NCSA Mosaic, processor: ARM926T OMAP..., Speed 201 MHZ, RAM 128, Data bus 16 BIT; and unfortunately on MetroPCS stores are only sales people, some ones do not know exactly the right person to help us to get this information; I ask in the store where I got my service about if I can use my htc for metro PCS and took just one second to give me the answer "NOOO", she did not call anywhere.

13. jamparras

jamparras New Member

is a htc Touch

14. Jay2TheRescue

Is this a CDMA phone or a GSM model? If its CDMA then there's a chance you can get it configured and activated on MetroPCS (I'm quite sure they use CDMA), but in the end if they refuse to activate the phone on their network its up to them. Call them, and give them your phone's ESN and ask them if its even possible for them to activate it on the network.

15. jswake

jswake New Member

I tried unlocking my phone, I had a Verizon. I spent over 20 hours trying to unlock it for Metro PCS. I then gave up and tried buying one from e bay. The same thing that was said above occured. When I took it in to metro they said I could not use it. The guy at the metro store gave me a card to a place called metro unlocked. I called them to unlock my phone and they explained that I could not unlock that phone for metro pcs. They told me which phones I could unlock and since i did not have one, I bought one that they had for sale. I bought it online and as soon as it came to me I called them then they switched it over to my metro pcs account. It was really easy. I would really like to know how to flash phones and all the details. But i really do not have the patience. If someone knows how to do all the steps, please private message me.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
  16. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member

For CDMA yes. For GSM no.

17. mgcamara

mgcamara New Member

My name is Michael and I want to buy a HTC Touch Pro 2 Tilt 2 Unlocked GSM Windows smartphone that I saw on ebay but I want to know if it will work at metro pcs cause thats where my service is. I was hoping to get it tomarrow but i want to make sure that metro pcs will use it.

Thanks

18. Jay2TheRescue

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe Metro PCS uses CDMA network technology, and a GSM phone will not work on their network.