1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMobile in 949 area code

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by nels, Sep 10, 2002.

1. nels

nels New Member

Hello. Anyone experiencing problems receiving calls on the TMobile network from 949 land lines while in the 949 area? I activated my new TMobile phone early last week. Since that time I have replaced the phone and sim card as well as requested a new cell number. I still cannot receive incoming 949 land line calls. I talked to TMobile's customer service (many times in fact) and it was finally said that I needed to call my Telco company and resolve it with them. They said my new cell number wasn't registered correctly with them. Anyone else had same/similar experience? Thanks.

2. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Where's the 949 area code?

3. larry

larry Go Lakers! Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Optimus G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    South Orange County: Irvine, Lake Forest, Laguna, etc.

4. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    T-mobile is most likely right, however... the local telco in that area has not registered T-mobiles exchanges in their database as a known exchange so they can't call your phone. I've heard of this happening in other areas where Verizon is the local telco... it eventually gets resolved, but it can't hurt to call and have them put in a trouble ticket on it.... Maybe even your friends should call and do the same, since they're the ones that are based in that area.

5. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Ohhh, OC, THAT place [​IMG] lol

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the replies. Cryogenic - isn't it TMobile's responsibility to make sure they are registered with all of the local carriers? I have a trouble ticket in with PacBell - haven't heard back yet. Now PacBell isn't some mom and pop provider. How the heck could TMobile have missed PacBell? Maybe I am looking at the issue the wrong way but it just seems like bad business to me. Just curious how it works - i don't have a background in Telcom. Thanks again for your quick response.

7. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming... Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

This is the area where my Cingular service barely worked! My husband works in this area. We were lucky if we didn't disconnect more than 2-3 times in one call. If Cingular is this bad, I can't imagine TMO doing much better.

8. larry

larry Go Lakers! Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Optimus G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Jodi,

Actually Cingular/T-Mobile just built a new site in Irvine on top of the Spectrasites tower on the border of Lake Forest near Muirlands & Bake. This should solve some of the long time Cingular problems in the area.

9. calbee

calbee Junior Member Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T-720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I have had somewhat of a similar issue trying to place a call from my T-Mobile phone to a particular 800 number where I get the landline recording stating that I have reached a number that can not be accessed from my local calling area.
    The 800 number works fine from the local PacBell land line (same area code) as well as AT&T and Verizon mobile phones. When talking to T-Mobile CS they insist that its the owner of the 800 number that has not registered (the T-Mobile) area code and prefix combination for access. Granted that may be the case I am amazed at the fact that T-Mobile would not be more agressive in making sure that these issues are resolved for their own competitive sake. Being new in the CA/NV market I thought they would welcome leads such as these to get their service accessible to/from all area codes and prefixes instead of advising the customer to call a corporation or Pac Bell in Nels case and get the issue straightened out?! My case is still unresolved 6 weeks later.

10. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming... Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Glad to hear they're address problems, but having Verizon for over a month now, the service is night & day! Won't be switching back any time soon....

Jodi

11. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole... Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    I have a similar problem calling a T-Mobile phone in the 818-445 (Burbank) rate area from a client in North Hollywood. Yet when I call my own phone, which is in the 310-980 (Santa Monica) rate area from the same phone, it goes through. Same with 323-842 (Los Angeles DA09). Weird.

12. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Maybe you should try calling that same TM number from another phone off the same CO and see if it too has problems getting through to it..... I would assume other exchanges on other CO's have little or no trouble getting through.. but I wonder if it's just localized to that one general area? I hope that made sense..

13. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member Junior Member

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Let's face it. In the 949 area t-mobile sucks. I'm in Costa Mesa and it's spotty.

15. cryogenic

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    that's nice to hear, except that this thread really had nothing to do with coverage in the 949 area code... it was merely the poster stating that 949 area codes were unable to complete calls to his phone. Granted his phone may in fact be registered in the 949 area code... and he may be physically on a tower on the 949 switch, but apparently his signal is perfectly fine and the issue lies somewhere within the local infrastructure, whether it be on TM's end or PacBell's end. On that note, a couple things have come to mind that the original poster might have tried or might not.

Have you tried calling that same 949 number back from your mobile phone? If so, how did your mobile number show up on caller ID? or did it?

Is it EVERY 949 number that has issues? Have you tried going to a payphone and calling your mobile number while you're holding both phones?

How about from a 949 mobile to your mobile?

I dunno, just a few ideas you might wanna try.