1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test shows 3G antenna normal

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone' started by viewfly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Here are some test results from a Swedish company showing that the 3G antenna performs normally in transmission power and received signal compared to Nokia N73 and Sony Ericsson P1.

TIS is the phone's ability to receive low signals from the tower; TRP is the power transmitted to the tower from the phone.

[​IMG]

The values are completely normal, says Magnus Franzén, an antenna engineer with an M.Sc. in Engineering Physics.

We compare the results with those of a Sony Ericsson P1 belonging to Bluetest's CEO Mats Andersson, and my Nokia N73. The P1 is a little better at receiving signals and the N73 a little better at transmitting signals. But the difference is small. The difference between the iphone's and the P1's receive sensitivity is 2 dB.

- It is not much. At a difference of 4-6 dB one might start to wonder if there is anything wrong, says Mats Andersson.

Full article here:

Iphone 3G antenna test - null - Göteborgs-Posten

See the article for a nice picture of the test chamber.

2. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I think this demonstrates that any iPhones having real reception problems are the result of a QC problem in one of the factories, and not the generic antenna design.

3. elmo01

elmo01 Senior Member Senior Member

decibels are not measured on a linear scale... logarithmic... a 3db gain or loss is doulbling or halving the reference sample... 2db is significant

4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

All you say is correct, but 2db in this case is not really significant. The article states that the uncertainty in the measurement between 2 phones is 1 dB alone. So another 1 dB on top of that is really insignificant.

Comparing 2 phones at home will show you how difficult a measurement this is to within 2 dB and say there is a real difference between them. But 4,6 or more dB is and indicates that a real problem exists.

5. skystartrade.com

skystartrade.com Banned

3g has very low siginal when it is in standby. when you place a call, the signal go up. did you see this on our iphone too?

yes, the signal is really weak in standby

the signal is a lot better in t-mobile network

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    No, I don't see that. However, many times when I unlock the phone, it is at full bars, then goes down from there.

Signal is good on ATT too, depending where you are.