1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T-Mobile to launch "Talk or Walk" no ETF for coverage issues

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Matt, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

I've been monitoring a long thread on HoFo, and now that most of the details seem to be correct, here's a summary of a new initiative, in Denver and Las Vegas only at this time. It is similar to the one-year program that just ended in Hawaii - they had a guarantee as well. Anyway, here's the rules, supposedly:

2. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

Either TMO has installed a lot of new towers in those two markets, or they're giving up the ghost to Cingular and VZW.

I'd be curious to see the full details of this new program - particularly if TMo will require any proof that a coverage issue exists, or if they'll simply take the customer at their word...

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

They better be careful before launching this nationwide. Or else we'll see T-Mo's churn skyrocket!

Honestly, I don't think this will pass the testing stage. They are pretty smart to launch this in flat areas like Las Vegas where supposedly the T-Mobile/Cingular venture has one of the best networks. Why not try it in places like NYC/NJ? I guess it is too risky, right? Let's see:

Just compare coverage in Las Vegas on the left and see how solid the green is all over it and then look at and North NJ/NYC on the right....all full of HotSpots! ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  4. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

OK so this Talk or Walk I take it is T-Mo's Push to Talk?

5. bobolito

LOL! That's what I thought when I saw the title. However, when I read Matt's post I realized it has nothing to do with Push To Talk. ;)

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

I don't know any other details. It will be interesting to see how it is enforced, especially in the gray areas on the NYC/NJ map, for example, because there is *some* coverage there, although probably outdoor only.

Bobo - I posted the following on Hofo - my thoughts regarding churn is that it won't alter it significantly long term. IMO, if they let all 16 million customers quit tomorrow without ETF, many would because of coverage. However, most of them are probably just waiting out their contract anyway and would quit when their contract expired. (only one-year with T-Mo on any plan) .So it might be a short term bump in churn but overall, not a big deal. People like me (and many others, contrary to getting all your T-Mo assumptions from looking at a coverage map :D ) aren't going to quit anyway.

Talk or walk only refers to coverage issues, nothing else.

7. bobolito

Actually, I was posting the map just to illustrate what in real life I experienced in terms of coverage on the shared T-Mo/Cingular network...:D

Also, in my own experience, the gray areas there isn't really any outdoor coverage. Signal in the -106dB to -110dB range is useless because T-Mo's network is set to drop calls at -106dB in this area, not to mention phones will have a hard time finding a tower at this signal level. In some of the light yellow areas all of my phones still had trouble keeping the link to the network, and even when it kept the signal, just placing a phone call was difficult because as soon as I placed the handset in my ear, the signal would fade and it would break up or disconnect. Again, that's useless.

The only places where you get real coverage is in the bright yellow or green areas, and the maps are very consistent with my extensive driving though North NJ. However, any indoor coverage is only found in places where you see green. Yellow offers acceptable coverage outside, but inside it usually dies unless you stand by a window, thanks to the way 1900Mhz behaves. If you want reliable indoor coverage, you need to be in the green areas.

As you can see, a great job was done in Las Vegas since it is all solid green. You don't see a solid green in NJ.

8. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

So I take it that T-Mobile is saying their network is equal to or better than the other providers in these markets where this is offered?

I do agree something like this they better be prepared. Sprint has done alot of dumb things that costed them high turnover. Hope this don't happen to T-Mobile.

9. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Nice gesture on T-Mobile's part. I wonder how long it will last, and if it makes its way on a national front. We'll see..... :headscrat

10. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

They probably just look at how much the customer uses. I have had people complain to me because they cannot use our service at their home but use 3,000 minutes or more... sorry, we're not going to let you out of your contract because you may or may not be able to use the phone at your home, you're obviously using it somewhere. I'm betting T-Mobile will have a similar policy. You would have to quantify "COVERAGE ISSUES" somehow... maybe a field tech would visit the area and determine if the customer has "COVERAGE ISSUES." I don't know, it's great from a comsumer standpoint but I'd hate to work in T-Mobile's retention department.

11. bobolito

Trust me, field techs won't need to visit areas to see how coverage is. All carriers know exactly where their weak/dead spots are.

12. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

I disagree with your assessment of gray areas, based on my experience with them in Virginia. I get outdoor coverage in those areas where I live. I could post a map of my area if you like, but.....I think we will agree to disagree here. The grey areas can be marginal, but for the most part I don't have problems in a car, or with handoffs. Obviously, the coverage is better in the green.

13. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

Alls I know is that I told a friend of mine who lives in the Denver market about this, and her exact response was "YIPEE!" She's been waiting for the opportunity to dump TMO, because her coverage has been horrible.

14. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Las Vegas is very well covered by the Cingular/TM network. I'd have one of them there. Regarding TM in my area, they are expanding, and should match Sprint PCS's coverage sometime. I still enjoy how my hometown (19977) is a total dead spot on their maps, they definitely lost a tower in their database.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  15. bobolito

Then it probably depends on the area or map innacuracies. I've seen some RARE areas where it is gray in the map but I get full signal when I go there, so go figure. However, for the most part, whenever I see gray, I go there and lo and behold, my phone has no bars.

16. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

Hey! How are you getting to these special maps?? :browani:

17. bobolito

Because we are special..;)

18. Airb330

Indeed. :p

Bobolito, least the maps are valid for your area. I still cannot beleive they just lost a site in their database. I haven't gotten to test my friends TM v180 out much. But, I know with Sprint, I get coverage in many of the areas that are white with T-Mobile....but Sprint and T-Mobile are on the same tower. The coverage should spread out farther than it does, at least in my area it should.

19. bobolito

You're not the only one. I've noticed a couple of sites missing in my area map.

20. Airb330

Funny thing is....last year, the site was on the maps. I know it's working still, or my friend wouldn't get any signal in town, which is just false.

21. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

There are holes on my maps too. Maybe I'll make some new ones sometime... :D

22. Shizam76

I didn't ask why.....I asked How ?? :rolleyes: :D

23. Shizam76

Hey! :eek: You people are lucky....getting to make maps and stuff :cool:

24. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

You gotta have the right "connections" :cool:

25. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

T-Mobile must be getting really desperate. I agree with Bobo that they need to be VERY CAREFUL if they launch this nationwide because it will be a sure thing that people will leave T-Mobile in the dust if given that chance.

26. bobolito

I guess shizam didn't get the hint from my answer...;)

27. Shizam76

:D :D