1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T-Mobile To Go (prepaid) now has roaming coverage in Canada

Discussion in 'International Wireless Forum (Including Canada and' started by EdwardP, Oct 30, 2006.

1. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ZTE Unico
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil, Verizon
  2. n2jtx

n2jtx New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V330 (Unlocked)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Rogers Wireless
    Works fine outside of Toronto. Roams on Rogers Wireless.

3. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Rogers are pretty much the only GSM game in town there, so it doesn't shock me.

At some point in the next few years I expect pretty much all long-distance and "no roaming" plans to include Canada. Mexico is a little too far off, but there's no earthly reason to charge for calls to Canada, other than the double excise whammy.

4. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Rooted HTC MyTouch 3g,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile2Go, (Verizon(previous for many years))
    Woo hoo for me...now if only I would take a vacation to Canada ;)

5. newpalmtree

newpalmtree New Member

does anyone know the cost of roaming on tmobile to go in canada? is it free (regular rates)???

thanks.

6. jah732

jah732 New Member

I called T-Mobile customer service to ask about use in Canada and she said the user agreement restricts prepaid to the "domestic network" which she says does not include southern Ontario. When I told her the coverage map clearly shows roaming available in Ontario, she had no response other than to say the user agreement has that restriction. When I told her people had used T-Mobile prepaid in Ontario, she just re-iterated the user agreement. I don't know if she is just a lackey who is unaware of all the ins and outs of the system, but according to the representative, prepaid should not be used in Canada.

7. EdwardP

My Phone:
    ZTE Unico
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil, Verizon
    The representative is probably unaware of this, because it apparently was turned on only recently. If you go to their prepaid coverage map here, the prepaid coverage map displays roaming coverage all over southern Canada.

8. jah732

jah732 New Member

Armed with the URL for the prepaid roaming map, and with a print out of their terms and conditions, which said NOTHING about restrictions to domestic network, I called customer service back. After several stints on hold, this new representative confirmed T-Mobile TO Go works in Canada, and in the 850MHz roaming areas also shown on the prepaid coverage map. The FAQ for the expanded prepaid coverage mentioned the 850 roaming, and said it expanded coverage fro users. However, other FAQs on the wedbsite said prepaid did NOT work in 850 roaming areas (obviously they need to keep their website updated better). It also works in certain areas of Mexico.

I wish they would keep their customer service representatives better informed of changes to services. What is the point of being customer representatives if they simply give out wrong information? This does not bode well for their customer service if I decide to go with T-Mobile.

9. EdwardP

My Phone:
    ZTE Unico
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil, Verizon
    All of the other T-Mobile companies (in Europe) include international roaming on their own prepaid services, so I believed it was only a matter of time before T-Mobile USA included the same.

Up to now, I am not aware of any reports that T-Mobile USA prepaid phones work in Europe on the T-Mobile networks there.

But adding Canada and Mexico roaming for T-Mobile To Go customers is an excellent start. :)

10. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    If you have GSM there's no other choice other than Rogers unless you're going to areas in the Yukon. Fido is now an MVNO running on the Rogers network. So much for competition :)

11. EdwardP

My Phone:
    ZTE Unico
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil, Verizon
    When I was in Montreal during April 2005, on postpay I could switch between Fido and Rogers. By that time, Rogers had already acquired Microcell (Fido's parent) but they had not merged the two networks.

By the fall of 2005, at least in Montreal, only Rogers was listed in the phone as a network selection.