1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T-Mobile service in Iowa

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by pendragn, Oct 23, 2003.

1. pendragn

pendragn New Member

I live in central Iowa, and I'm thinking about switching over to T-Mobile so that I can get an SE T610. I've got a couple of questions:

1) What's T-Mobile's coverage like in rural Iowa? It doesn't sound like that phone can roll over to analog.

2) Is the number portability thing ready to go yet? I want to take my Verizon number with me.

thanks,
    tk

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

I have 2 friends that have T-moblie in Des Moines
    they seem to like it after leaving US Cellular

If you only be in Ames, Des Moines and freeway you will be fine.
    Anywhere else in central Iowa it is not good.
    if you need coverage rural you will need to go to US Cellular, Sprint PCS Free and Clear plan if spend most of your minutes in Des Moines Metro, Or Yell at Verizon to cean up their act in Iowa.

I do admitt that Verizon needs to cleanup their act in Iowa they have lost too many markets in Iowa and the quality goes downhill when they leave. Making things worse

Des Moines is just outside of top 100 so you might have to wait until May 04

3. pendragn

pendragn New Member

I've got Verizon now, and it seems to be okay. I've got a Motorola T720, and my only complaint is one of duplex. It seems like when someone is talking to me, and I say something, it cuts them off. From what I've read, that may be a symptom of Verizon's network and how they allocate bandwidth.

So with T-Mobile I'll be fine on the Interstates, but out of luck in the rest of the state? Can't I roam or jump on someone else's network? I know with Verizon when I'm at my parents house it bumps over to analog. Does T-Moblie or this phone support anything like this?

tk

4. agentHibby

T-Mobile only does digital GSM in PCS mode 1900 MHz. They do not do anything with Cellular 800 MHz, and all Major Cellular Blocks in Iowa are all CDMA. Some are phasing out TDMA. To roam with T-Mobile you can only do that with Iowa Wireless in Eastern Iowa, or maybe AT&T GSM (I don't know if ATT is possible) I-35 is covered well, but I 80 is not so well covered by T-Mobile right now.
    T-moblie has a license for the whole state of Iowa so they can put a tower anywhere they want to in Iowa.

T720 is a crappy phone from start to finish, and it was expensive which is also bad. You might want to look into a buying another phone on ebay or somewhere. I was in Des Moines July and August, I did not have a problem there.

5. agentHibby

Since you lived in Ames where you able to get night and weekend minutes with your plan at that time?
    I know that in 2001 and 2002 you could not in most RSA markets in Iowa get night and weekend minutes.

6. tbrusky

tbrusky Junior Member

IS T-Mobile ever going to come to Central Wisconsin naming Wausau, Mosinee, Stevens Point, Rhinander. Those areas. The nearest I still see T-mobile is Eau Claire Or the Milwaukee Area. Wausau is a 38,000 population area what gives. I called T-Mobile a while back about 4-5 months and they could only say amybe in the furture I asked what furture? Furture 3000, Ill be dead by then. Have to admit everyone T-Mobile is sure building out the coverage in a hurry. and fast. And already Cellularone In Wausau which has been converting over to GSM/GPRS has a roaming agremements with Cellularone, aslo Cellularone has raoming with AT&T, Cigular too now. Cellularone does have parts of Texas turned on for GSM/GPRS alreadyt back in May. I got an email about 2 weeks ago from cellularone they say in a few months all of Wisconsin markets will be up and running. Im not a fan of Cellularone thats why I left Cellularone bad coverage and when there was coverage echeos all the time. I hardly go North I mainly go East and SOuth and Cellularone doesnt cover that areas. Anyone know or will there be T-Mobile in my area soon. WHy doesnt T-Mobile just co-location on the tower rent the space. Most carriers do that, maybe cheaper I dont know. Hope to hear from someone soon.

7. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

T-Mobile does not have licenses for Marthon Co/Wausau, Mosinee, Oneida Co/Rhinelander, or Portage Co/Stevens Point. So at this point as a TM customer you would roam in Einstein in central WI (and possibly AT&T in the future.)

8. PatP

PatP Junior Member

T-Mobile (and AT&T GSM) roams in Iowa on their local affiliate, aka Iowa Wireless. They currently cover major highways and communities, but they are expanding <u>rapidly</u>. Only the GAIT phones can roll over to TDMA and/or AMPS when they loose GSM coverage.

-PatP