1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T Mobile Coverage in New England

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by CelltowerPete, May 8, 2008.

1. CelltowerPete

CelltowerPete New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    I am really curious for some feedback about network coverage from TMobile users in New England. I have been keeping track of their network expansion/build out for my web site, and was thinking of making the switch from AT&T. I like the idea that with TMobile and AT&T I can simply buy an unlocked phone and swap SIM cards as I want to switch phones!
    I have been impressed with AT&Ts coverage, but have noticed that TMobile has been right with them at most sites I go to check out and photograph. Verizon has always gotten high marks for coverage, but when I had them for a work phone, I could compare them side by side with my AT&T phone. I found their coverage to be no better in lot's of areas, especially out in the Worcester Hills area of MA. Does anyone have any feedback re: T Mobiles coverage?

2. bheb

bheb New Member

I would be very interested in any opinions/experience in the Augusta Maine area w/ T-Mobile. I'm desperately trying to find an acceptable cell phone provider in my area. Tried VZW twice & cancelled w/in trial period. Had Cingular when we moved up 3 years ago & cancelled shortly after getting here. Have had Unicel w/ very spotty results. I'm not sure I like the plan options w/ US Cellular, so it looks like T-Mobile is my last hope.

Thanks!
    -b

3. bheb

bheb New Member

I would be very interested in any opinions/experience in the Augusta Maine area w/ T-Mobile. I'm desperately trying to find an acceptable cell phone provider in my area. Tried VZW twice & cancelled w/in trial period. Had Cingular when we moved up 3 years ago & cancelled shortly after getting here. Have had Unicel w/ very spotty results. I'm not sure I like the plan options w/ US Cellular, so it looks like T-Mobile is my last hope.

Thanks!
    -b

4. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    ZTE Unico
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil, Verizon
    I've had T-Mobile service since 2004 (started on prepaid to try the network out). I became a postpaid customer during January 2005.

In 99% of the areas where I have taken my T-Mobile phone over these four years, I have had excellent coverage as well as an excellent signal (full bars) with both Nokia and Samsung phones. One evening last summer, I was riding around Cambridge (on a bus), constantly checking the signal level, it was excellent everywhere the bus traveled (Harvard Square, Memorial Drive, Massachusetts Avenue).

I'm very happy with T-Mobile. I put my parents on T-Mobile prepaid and they love it.

Good luck with your web site.

5. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it! Senior Member

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've had t-mobile since '03, and I've never had issues in and around the boston area. There are a few places I can think of where t-mo has better coverage than AT&T. For the most part, though T-mo & AT&T are on par with coverage. I remember service being fine when I was in Worcester the last time (around WPI and Clarkson). West of Worcester that changes though since its mostly rural and AT&T and Verizon have the edge. Why don't you pick up a T-mo to go phone and compare it with your AT&T phone where you go?

6. fts

fts New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular, Verizon, T-Mobile to Go
    If you think Unicel is spotty, I think your only chance for better coverage will be with US Cellular.

Where did you have problems with Unicel?

FTS

1 person likes this.
  7. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free.... Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    T-Mobile won't be any better than Unicel. In fact you will probably do a lot of roaming on Unicel because T-Mobile hasn't built out their network besides covering major roads and towns.

Unicel, AT&T/Cingular, and T-Mobile all use GSM technology so if you have roaming on your plan you have the same coverage footprint regardless of which primary carrier you have. US Cellular, Sprint, and Verizon all use CDMA technology and the CDMA coverage area may be more extensive than the GSM coverage in your area.

US Cellular is regional carrier so they only cover certain markets but they usually cover those areas well. I would recommend Sprint if you don't like the US Cellular plans. Sprint will roam on US Cellular if Sprint coverage is unavailable.

Take advantage of the 30 day trial period and test US Cellular or Sprint.

8. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Sorry Pete, my previous reponse was advice to the second poster.

As far as T-Mobile in New England, they have been expanding and their coverage is improving. T-Mobile is only 1900 MHz which is responsible for putting their coverage behind AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile is fine in much of Massachusettes, and most of Rhode Island and Connecticut. New Hampshire and Maine have respectable coverage where T-Mobile has built out, but the stonnger coverage is in the southern parst of those states. Vermont has native T Mobile coverage at Killington but nowhere else in the state. Unicel provides good roaming coverage. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend T-9obile if they have coverage in your area because they are a good carrier and the prices are reasonable.

9. CelltowerPete

CelltowerPete New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate the feedback and info from you and all the other 'post'ers :) My concern was really the Tmobile coverage off the beaten path, since most major routes seem to be covered pretty well. I am seriously considering clock3687's advice to get a prepaid phone and card to test the coverage before making any switch. I figured with the big build they have been doing, that those backroads should be getting alot better than they were about 5 years ago, the last time I seriously thought about switching my coverage!

10. bheb

bheb New Member

Have had problems in the West Gardiner/Litchfiled area, Portland, along 295 outside Falmouth & Brunswick, Monmouth, really endless the number of places where calls get dropped, or no signal to place calls. Big holes everywhere. Also, the problem seems to be that roaming on other carriers isn't as reliable as advertised. Cingular didn't work on Unicel when we first moved up here. Unicel doesn't work well in Portland. We've tried Verizon a couple times now, couldn't even get it to work well enough to keep in Augusta. I assume it should have been roaming on USC.

Not sure what to do at this point, or who to try. Keep hearing that T-Mobile is building out, but some say they don't work well in rural areas. I'm hardly in the sticks, just looking for something to work well enough to keep. Also, would love to ditch the landline, but that may not be possible.

11. djjim

djjim Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    I had US Cellular when I lived in New Hampshire for many years. I lived near Laconia. My service was excellent, even when I travelled to ME. They beat the pants of Verizon and Cingular. I would seriously try US Cellular.

12. fts

fts New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular, Verizon, T-Mobile to Go

I think you will be better off staying with an 850 Mhz carrier in a rural area. USC is a little stronger than Unicel in the Litchfield area, mostly because of their cell location on Oak Hill.
    USC also did a good job a few years ago building out Portland, espicially along the highways and in the city.

Of the PCS carriers in the Augusta area, Verizon has been the most agressive in building out their native coverage.

T-Moble is expanding in Maine, but, at a slow pace. This year they added a site at the Randolf town hall, 2 in the Pittsfield/Newport area as well as one near Dysarts in Herman.

I have had USC for years, in my opinion, in most areas of Maine, they have the best coverage.

FTS

13. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    T-Mobile has certainly improved in the last 5 years. The prepaid SIM would give you an idea of what native T-Mobile coverage is like so trying that out isn't a bad idea.

If you do end up deciding to switch to T-Mobile, you will want a phone with the 850MHz band for roaming purposes. T-Mobile isn't known for great rural coverage in New England, but they aren't known for being horrible either. You should have roaming from AT&T or Unicel sometimes if T-Mobile coverage is unavailable. If you don't have any service, it means none of the GSM carriers have coverage there so you can't really blame T-Mobile.

In general, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut are well covered by T-Mobile and other carriers, while New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine have more spotty coverage. It really comes down to population and whether carriers want to spend the money to build out coverage in rural market where it is much less profitable to expand coverage.

14. themayor01

themayor01 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    Great thread! I have had these questions for a while.

I too am curious about T-Mo coverage in Augusta. I have US Cell and know they are exceptional in our area. Unfortunately, no Ev-Do and a prehistoric selection of phones doesn't help them much. Verizon is supposed to be good in the area but I can't deal with locked down features (GPS) and their plan pricing is extremely high. This leads to T-Mobile.

I travel extensively throughout New England and am curious how they work. My home wouldn't be a problem since the Wi-Fi at home service is killer but not sure about coverage in the rest of the area. I was told they have plans to put up 60 towers in Maine throughout the next few months but, I am not sure of locations, etc.

Thoughts?

15. clock3687

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Mayor, Welcome to WA! As you've prolly read early on in the thread, you'll spend an extensive amount of time on Unicel while your in Maine. T-Mobile now has a roaming policy in effect, so I wouldn't recommend them in your situation, unless you are going to be in t-mobile coverage often. Check the Coverage Map and see if your in range of a tower, if not you've got to look elsewhere.

Extreme Roamer Reduction (ERR) accounts are:

***At least one line roaming off of T-Mobile's network at least 80% of the time in three out of the last twelve months, and no longer under a fixed contractual term.

***At least one line roaming off of T-Mobile's network at least 80% of the time in three consecutive months regardless of contractual situation.
    -TmoNews

16. themayor01

themayor01 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    Thanks for the welcome!

It's rough...I am within range of a tower most of the time. I would hate to get the dreaded "letter". Why oh why does USCC have to be so far behind the times. No 3g network...no BB Curve....

I was so looking forward to a wi-fi enabled blackberry.

17. djjim

djjim Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    not to mention that once Verizon takes over Unicel, I would not be suprised if the gsm network suffers a little bit.

18. themayor01

themayor01 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    I worried about that as well.

So the choice now becomes, over pay with verizon and get a crippled device in the 8330 (but gain 3g) or, stick it out with USCC and wait for both the 8330 AND a potential 3g network.

19. clock3687

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'd stick with USCC, esp. since they work well for you. Most of the phones USCC sells now are 3G capable, so your bound to get 3G sooner than later. T-mo has 3g in nyc, no where else, & very few devices that actually work with it so you'd be waiting a lot longer to get it in your neck of the woods.

20. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater Senior Member

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

True but the nationwide rollout is scheduled for start of third quarter so august and september should be in most markets. Last news said top 25 markets and also new devices focused on data will be out around this time as well, but I agree with the advice, stay with your current provider if they are providing you with adequate service

21. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have a friend in Providence, RI that I call almost daily and anytime after 9pm I get an "All Circuits are Busy" message when calling his phone. Although the problem seems to have diminished over the past few months so maybe they have improved service in that area. I have another friend in CT (New Britain/Southington area) and he was trying to get out of his contract this spring due to severe degradation in service - lots of dropped calls.

That's my feedback for New England based on personal experiences.