1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPC: Service Programming Code FAQs

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by MOTOhooligan, Feb 28, 2006.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    I have seen a lot of posts about the SPC, or Service Programming Code.

The SPC is a code in most CDMA handsets used to lock that specific handset. The SPC is required when programming a new MDN, MIN, home SID, etc. into a handset. Usually, the default SPC, 000000, works only once for the initial programming of the handset at the sales office.

Most carriers will not give out SPCs. You cannot get the SPC from the manufacturer of the phone (Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, etc.)

Each handset has it's own SPC so the SPC for one phone won't work on another handset, even if they are the same model.

GSM handsets do not have an SPC, they have a SIM unlock code, which is similar. The SIM unlock code prevents the SIM card from another carrier from being used in a branded, locked handset. For example, you cannot take a Cingular SIM card and put it in a locked, branded T-Mobile handset unless you have the unlock code. T-Mobile will give you the unlock code for one handset, per line, per 90 days of active service. I do not believe any other GSM provider will give you the unlock codes for their handset.

2. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    SPCs can also be known as MSLs.

3. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Verizon would be the exception on SPCs, as post-paid phones have one of just 000000.

4. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    I thought Verizon used SPCs? Alltel doesn't, but they're the only carrier I have heard of that doesn't use them.

5. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Nope. It's default to all zeroes. that's how they do OTA programming.

6. tahctihc

tahctihc New Member

No, you are incorrect. It may start that way, but when it's programmed, the SPC is changed individually on each phone so that you can't just take it to another company without having the SPC to be able to reprogram it for different service

7. dehaven.j

dehaven.j Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    well on my samsung u540 the default is all 0's and there is even an option to set the code to something else! on cdma it depends on the esn when you activate the phone and the phones software... that is why you can't just swap it out so actually you are incorrect. the phone is also programmed by dialing *228 and pressing option 1!

8. TeleTips Network

TeleTips Network Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo 700wx
    *228 is the standard number for Over The Air activation. Pressing option 1 is carrier-dependent. My carrier in Hawaii has no OTA options.

OTA provides the handset with the MIN and the MDN that were selected as part of the activation process. The PRL is also downloaded.

9. dehaven.j

dehaven.j Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    thanks i forgot to mention that is how Verizon handles it and that other cdma carriers might be different.